London GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

London GP?

Budding F1 Engineer

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

Re: London GP?

That would be cool. I'm not familiar with the layout of London, would 'around the stadium' include any landmarks?

tinhouse
tinhouse

Absolutelee wrote:That would be cool. I'm not familiar with the layout of London, would 'around the stadium' include any landmarks?
No it's miles away from anything interesting. Apart from my house :-)

There was a circuit proposed a few years back that was more central and included some 'Monopoly Board' bits of London but the whole thing ws so preposterous it was never going to work: link

Matt.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

That's like all the people saying they want a street race in NYC. It'd be awesome, but could not and will not ever happen. New Yorkers wouldn't tolerate it haha

astracrazy
astracrazy

i think it would be more like the jersey gp. The landmarks will be the back drop.

I can't see this happening anyway.

The calendar is already full now + other future gp's coming in. There are more places i'd like to see a GP first if space can be created - Mexico, Argentina, keep the Spa gp constant and not alternate with the French GP as purposed etc.

Unc1e_M0nty

Never going to happen, Bernie is just cashing in on some free Olympic hype & publicity.

Anyway these kind of street tracks are always rubbish with no overtaking spots.

bruceafc
bruceafc

Hope this doesnt happen, we have got way to many street circuits.

Monaco
Canada
Valencia
Singapore
Maybe new Jersey
and now London

Has Bernie forgotten F1 is a sport.Why an earth do we need so many street circuits.Yes i doubt the calendar would be filled with all 6 street circuits but we do have 4 in a 20 round calendar this year.I think maxium amount street circuits should be 2 Monaco and Canada.It seems as if all the good tracks are being replaced by horrible borefests eg Valencia.Bring back tracks like Magny-Cours, A1 and even Turkey, there real tracks that challange the drivers.Most tracks are filled with run of areas, what fun is that, yes saftey is a concern but a gravel trap works just as effective and if you run wide there is a consequence.Bernie is ruining f1.

End of rant

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

krisfx
krisfx

bruceafc wrote:Hope this doesnt happen, we have got way to many street circuits.

Monaco
Canada
Valencia
Singapore
Maybe new Jersey
and now London

Has Bernie forgotten F1 is a sport.Why an earth do we need so many street circuits.Yes i doubt the calendar would be filled with all 6 street circuits but we do have 4 in a 20 round calendar this year.I think maxium amount street circuits should be 2 Monaco and Canada.It seems as if all the good tracks are being replaced by horrible borefests eg Valencia.Bring back tracks like Magny-Cours, A1 and even Turkey, there real tracks that challange the drivers.Most tracks are filled with run of areas, what fun is that, yes saftey is a concern but a gravel trap works just as effective and if you run wide there is a consequence.Bernie is ruining f1.

End of rant
Tilke is ruining F1 with his shite circuit design. Ecclestone is robbing people for F1.

Websta

Doesn't Tilke have to design to strict specifications from the FIA? He's designed some great circuits as well - Istanbul Park and Sepang are fantastic.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

bruceafc wrote:Hope this doesnt happen, we have got way to many street circuits.

Monaco
Canada
Valencia
Singapore
Maybe new Jersey
and now London

End of rant
Exactly. We are rapidly approaching the limit of how many races that crammed into one season. It is going to get to the point, may already have, that for every new venue added, another must be dropped. It is only a matter of time before historic circuits like Spa, Suzuka, Monza etc are going to be dropped. One of the best parts of F1 is its history, don't leave that behind Bernie.

Hail22

No to London, Yes to Argentina/Mexico :D

Perhaps the return of South African GP? or possibly Austria? :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Websta wrote:Doesn't Tilke have to design to strict specifications from the FIA? He's designed some great circuits as well - Istanbul Park and Sepang are fantastic.
Istanbul, Sepang, Shanghai (downhill decreasing radius right-hander... come on!) have proven to be anywhere from good to excellent depending on the cars themselves. Yas Marina is a special case in that it's boring as hell for F1 but the V8 Supercars race there was pretty damn good. Valencia and Singapore... well, he's at the mercy of whatever is available in the case of street circuits. They tend to either be boring or absolutely killer and you never know which is which.

beelsebob
beelsebob

thearmofbarlow wrote:
Websta wrote:Doesn't Tilke have to design to strict specifications from the FIA? He's designed some great circuits as well - Istanbul Park and Sepang are fantastic.
Istanbul, Sepang, Shanghai (downhill decreasing radius right-hander... come on!) have proven to be anywhere from good to excellent depending on the cars themselves. Yas Marina is a special case in that it's boring as hell for F1 but the V8 Supercars race there was pretty damn good. Valencia and Singapore... well, he's at the mercy of whatever is available in the case of street circuits. They tend to either be boring or absolutely killer and you never know which is which.
Yep, agreed... I'd tend to say that India has turned out pretty well too, and the CoA looks pretty epic.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

beelsebob wrote:
thearmofbarlow wrote:
Yep, agreed... I'd tend to say that India has turned out pretty well too, and the CoA looks pretty epic.
The basis of the design was by Tavo Hellmund. Tilke's team took the track layout and finalized it.

But yeah, London GP. It seems too obvious to ever happen, really. Same with the Paris GP.