Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Ferrari F2012

I have read that they had tried to get to q3 saving two sets of new softs. Only raikkonen has made it, using one of the two sets in q3 and keeping one for the race. So I see ferrari trying to do what nearly anyone tries (going to q3 sparing two sets) as a sign of deep self confidence. I think they trust their car now
twitter: @armchair_aero

timbo
timbo

I think the issue today is hot track + soft tyres. They were good on whiteys. And also, the diff they needed was just 0.3 seconds.

bhall
bhall

Starting 11th and 13th on fresh tires won't be so bad tomorrow.

Pierce89

shelly wrote:I have read that they had tried to get to q3 saving two sets of new softs. Only raikkonen has made it, using one of the two sets in q3 and keeping one for the race. So I see ferrari trying to do what nearly anyone tries (going to q3 sparing two sets) as a sign of deep self confidence. I think they trust their car now
If you read the after qualifying quotes, They pretty much reflect what you say.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

FakeAlonso

Pierce89 wrote:
shelly wrote:I have read that they had tried to get to q3 saving two sets of new softs. Only raikkonen has made it, using one of the two sets in q3 and keeping one for the race. So I see ferrari trying to do what nearly anyone tries (going to q3 sparing two sets) as a sign of deep self confidence. I think they trust their car now
If you read the after qualifying quotes, They pretty much reflect what you say.
I think they trust the car now and that is a good thing. In the same time by their own admission this championship will be won by consistency. So far in Canada and in Qualifying in Valencia they have made some mistakes and given the tightness of the field they have payed a heavy price.

Is a good think to be confident with the car but not over confident and waste valuable time in q2 running on hard tires. Vettel who got a superb pole said that he had to use two sets of soft in q2. So I think the pit wall should not be carried away and try to avoid this risky or non sense things they do because lets admit it they are not the best pit wall that can deliver best strategies.

Sevach
Sevach

alogoc wrote:it's slightly different!
The new one is slightly shorter.

amouzouris

i think we are on target for points and even a podium tomorrow....and dare i say it...Alonso might work some of his magic again and with some luck he might even win...

edit: i think alonso is optimistic too!! i didnt see him too frustrated! also...if they choose to start on prime tires they will be able to do a longer first stint and maybe get clear of some traffic...but they wont gain as many places at the start probably as they will if they put on the option...what do u guys think they will do?

alogoc
alogoc

amouzouris wrote:i think we are on target for points and even a podium tomorrow....and dare i say it...Alonso might work some of his magic again and with some luck he might even win...

edit: i think alonso is optimistic too!! i didnt see him too frustrated! also...if they choose to start on prime tires they will be able to do a longer first stint and maybe get clear of some traffic...but they wont gain as many places at the start probably as they will if they put on the option...what do u guys think they will do?

Alonso is less than a tenth faster than Massa!
Something is not right here!!!!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

alonso did very very little running on the soft compound...massa did some more!!

alogoc
alogoc

amouzouris wrote:alonso did very very little running on the soft compound...massa did some more!!

or maybe his knee injury is more serious!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Mr Alcatraz

amouzouris wrote:i think we are on target for points and even a podium tomorrow....and dare i say it...Alonso might work some of his magic again and with some luck he might even win...

I think they will start on new options. Both being on the clean side they will hopefully grab a few spots at the start. I think the key is if The Boss can somehow beat Vettel to the first turn the group may be very tight, and could even actually make for some excitement. :wink:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

zyphro
zyphro

amouzouris wrote:...Alonso might work some of his magic again and with some luck he might even win...
That's overoptimistic, don't you think? Didn't the Lotus have better pace on the longer runs?

zyphro
zyphro

alogoc wrote:
amouzouris wrote:alonso did very very little running on the soft compound...massa did some more!!

or maybe his knee injury is more serious!
Doubtful. They (the FIA) wouldn't allow him to sit in the cockpit if he wasn't 100% fine.

Kiril Varbanov

amouzouris wrote:good thing is they focused extensively on race setup..... time difference is very small....so we'll see tomorrow..
Not necessarily a good choice. Even the rivals are crediting Lotus and Ferrari to be very good in long race pace, but as we know in Valencia overtaking is difficult, so even if that race setup translates into good times, it's better to be points rather than: "We drove a good race, but we got two points", i.e. 9th place.

What's really good to see, however, is the development pace and yes, there's a pattern on the temps, as initially pointed out by Crucial_Xtreme.

zyphro
zyphro

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
I thought the smart money was on a soft, hard, hard statergy, not sure how two set of new softs are going to help.

Both Ferrari & kimi will be stuck in traffic diving at the pace of the car ahead, this only works if you have clean air.

Qually is king at the moment, am I right in thinking all this seasons winners have started from rows one & two ?
Yes, but, they did that as they're seemingly fine on longer runs. Lotus have a very good car in the race when the temps are high (this has been shown on various ocassions),