Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

(The picture was taken at an angle.)

EDIT: Ha!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Very Good F2012 rear end detail today in Valencia

amouzouris

^^ they used the * diffuser extensions that are attached on the rw...

edit: old*
Last edited by amouzouris on 24 Jun 2012, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote:^^ they used the diffuser extensions that are attached on the rw...
They've been on the car for quite a few GP's. Interesting they changed the floor, with an additional scoop almost midway on the floor.

amouzouris

oh...i thought they were using the upgraded ones with more fins....

edit: i meant they are using the old extensions....

Crabbia
Crabbia

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
amouzouris wrote:^^ they used the diffuser extensions that are attached on the rw...
They've been on the car for quite a few GP's. Interesting they changed the floor, with an additional scoop almost midway on the floor.
I would think it has something to do with the new bargeboards/side pod shields. They're turning the air differently further upstream so the have modified the floor to suit the new flow.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

f1316
f1316

So, it would appear that neither of the more obvious updates were used in Valencia - by which I mean the modified exhaust (with the additional cooling vent in the side of the bulge and possibly slightly different exhaust angle) and the front wing with the new endplates - were used in the race.

Whilst it's by no means certain these things are ever going to work straight out of the box, this is the first time in a few races the ferrari's updates haven't, so you wonder if this relative "standing still" in development in just one race is the type of thing that makes the difference between Q2 and Q3. It turns out that having the new sets of tyres in the race was imperative, as it was for Raikonnen in Bahrain, so I don't think you can call it a tactical error not to use them in Q2, but what you do seem to require is the extra speed to be able to preserve tyres whilst still getting through the sessions. Vettel did the same strategy and only just made it through, only to go on to do a great lap in Q3, such are the margins.

But this relates to the car since it shows just how vital it is to make these small gains in virtually every race, and you wonder if this has contributed to the decision to run a straight line test *prior* to Silverstone, so that they can be more sure of correlation during the race weekend. These endplates are diverting air around the tyres, so presumably the success or lack thereof of such a part is relatively clear in a straight line? You would imagine that if successful this would reduce drag and thus increase straight line speed - something Alonso singled out as still an issue after qualifying.

On a related by silightly off-topic note: are they still testing in Silverstone after the GP? I haven't heard any definitive word on this yet.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

f1316 wrote:So, it would appear that neither of the more obvious updates were used in Valencia - by which I mean the modified exhaust (with the additional cooling vent in the side of the bulge and possibly slightly different exhaust angle) and the front wing with the new endplates - were used in the race.

Whilst it's by no means certain these things are ever going to work straight out of the box, this is the first time in a few races the ferrari's updates haven't, so you wonder if this relative "standing still" in development in just one race is the type of thing that makes the difference between Q2 and Q3. It turns out that having the new sets of tyres in the race was imperative, as it was for Raikonnen in Bahrain, so I don't think you can call it a tactical error not to use them in Q2, but what you do seem to require is the extra speed to be able to preserve tyres whilst still getting through the sessions. Vettel did the same strategy and only just made it through, only to go on to do a great lap in Q3, such are the margins.

But this relates to the car since it shows just how vital it is to make these small gains in virtually every race, and you wonder if this has contributed to the decision to run a straight line test *prior* to Silverstone, so that they can be more sure of correlation during the race weekend. These endplates are diverting air around the tyres, so presumably the success or lack thereof of such a part is relatively clear in a straight line? You would imagine that if successful this would reduce drag and thus increase straight line speed - something Alonso singled out as still an issue after qualifying.

On a related by silightly off-topic note: are they still testing in Silverstone after the GP? I haven't heard any definitive word on this yet.
I don't believe there was a new modified exhaust for Valencia. I think the perspective of the picture made many think it was new. I don't believe Ferrari would put it on the car on Thursday and then not use it on Friday or Saturday. Doesn't make sense. All pictures from Friday show the Canadian GP spec exhaust.

Back to the updates, Pat Fry clearly said all the updates for the Valencia race worked & worked well. The updates to the bargeboards, new floor, mirrors/vortex generators, and I'm not sure if there's any others. There was rumor of rear suspension modifications.

People thought because they didn't use the new FW that now correlation is bad and updates didn't work. But Pat Fry has a history of being brutally honest when it comes to the car and he definitely says all updates brought for the Valencia race worked as expected. It seems like they were trying a few other things but it doesn't sound like they were meant for this race. He hasn't lied about the car yet & has told us when it sucked so I don't see him starting now. :)

"The updates we brought for this race worked as expected, while other solutions we tried here for the first time still need a bit more development work. In absolute terms, we have got a bit closer to the group of the very best, but there are so many of them."

Link

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

¿Is possibel a new floor like the Valencia RB8 in the F2012 in Ferrari for silverstone?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

PABLOEING wrote:¿Is possibel a new floor like the Valencia RB8 in the F2012 in Ferrari for silverstone?
Almost anything is possible but not probable. I doubt it. It would mean a total change in bodywork & parts starting from the front wing all the way back to the rear wing. Almost a completely different car would be needed.

Ferrari clearly need to find a few tenths to be competitive with RB. The new FW would help. I;m very interested to see what our response is in Silverstone to the Valencia RB updates.

FakeAlonso

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
PABLOEING wrote:¿Is possibel a new floor like the Valencia RB8 in the F2012 in Ferrari for silverstone?
Almost anything is possible but not probable. I doubt it. It would mean a total change in bodywork & parts starting from the front wing all the way back to the rear wing. Almost a completely different car would be needed.
I agree with you. It would have been nice a RB8 similar solution but that will require almost a new car. At least they can bring enough update to reduce the gap to RB8. Rumor is RB has found app 0.4 sec with the new upgrade.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

....and a lot of people in the Valencia circuit said that the RB8 sound like the 2011 RB7........

zyphro
zyphro

PABLOEING wrote:....and a lot of people in the Valencia circuit said that the RB8 sound like the 2011 RB7........
The blowing never went away! It is still there, RB are maximising it more than others.

F1.Ru

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:

Ferrari clearly need to find a few tenths to be competitive with RB. The new FW would help. I;m very interested to see what our response is in Silverstone to the Valencia RB updates.
+1 X2, it also need to be crashed tested and for a change like this margin Ferrari's 2013 contender will suffer i belive. as it not only a new concept for Ferrari but for now when F2012 started to show its potential i dont think they will even tempted to think about this.

Another thing is that those floor even /might not work well with F2012 like they do in RB8, caz every bit of a car in F1 is purposefully created and they all are so integrated that sometimes they even create negative effect from a fairly good update and some times some negative effect create altogether a positive outcome i.e. lift created by the sidepod extension but which is negated by the amount of downforce they help to create.............. :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F1.Ru wrote:
+1 X2, it also need to be crashed tested and for a change like this margin Ferrari's 2013 contender will suffer i belive. as it not only a new concept for Ferrari but for now when F2012 started to show its potential i dont think they will even tempted to think about this.

Another thing is that those floor even /might not work well with F2012 like they do in RB8, caz every bit of a car in F1 is purposefully created and they all are so integrated that sometimes they even create negative effect from a fairly good update and some times some negative effect create altogether a positive outcome i.e. lift created by the sidepod extension but which is negated by the amount of downforce they help to create.............. :D
Agreed. And that's what many aren't thinking about. It's not often you can just bolt on something from one F1 car onto another and expect it to work straight away like it does on the original. Ferrari would have to use a different aero philosophy with how they're working the air which is a lot of work.

It took RB months to get this setup right and would take other teams just as long. I don't believe any team on the grid has this amount of time. Good call about the crash tests, totally slipped my mind and would indeed have to be done. Which is even more reason for Ferrari not to pursue this, IMHO. I think they should and will focus on how to optimize their current setup. It's not a bad car in the least and is only lacking a few tenths compared to the others. The F2012 is one of the better cars on the tyres too which is a good thing.
Will be interesting in seeing what upgrades are brought to Silverstone.

@Shelly Pierce or any of the other good aero guys:

What do you think about the Valencia aero updates? Namely the bargeboard vortex generators & the new scoop on the floor? How do you see these interacting with the air?

I thought we may see McLaren style VG's on top of the sidepods but there is two VG's by the mirrors which has been modified on Fernando's car to include the mirror mounting. What say you about this update as well? TIA.