COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Today's aerial view of COTA:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

xpensive
xpensive

hairy_scotsman wrote: ...
Travis County Commissioners vote down employee trip to British GP:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=440731915961629
Perhaps the good commissioners would have liked to go themselves, rather than sending some hickeyville fire-officer and county-sheriff to make fools of themselves in the big city where they talk so funny and drive on the wrong side of the road?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:

Perhaps the good commissioners would have liked to go themselves, rather than sending some hickeyville fire-officer and county-sheriff to make fools of themselves in the big city where they talk so funny and drive on the wrong side of the road?

Population of Austin: ~790,000
Population of Northamptonshire: ~687,000

I think the people from Silverstone would be more out of place here in the big Austin city with all the lights and tall buildings. ;)

xpensive
xpensive

I was kinda suspecting them Cota-folks planning on staying in London (UK) and go to Silverstone by one of them choppers?

Mr Alcatraz

Chill guys you're harshing my mellow [-o<
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

...and here's the latest aerial from COTA:

More photos at: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/article ... ion-update

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:I was kinda suspecting them Cota-folks planning on staying in London (UK) and go to Silverstone by one of them choppers?
I'm kinda suspecting you've never been anywhere near the southern US and get all of your information from sources that play trucks in animated movies.

Pup
Pup

So what's the telephone pole looking thing that they're installing in the lower right hand corner of this photo?

You can see it here, too. Looks like...a telephone pole...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Scoring tower.

Mr Alcatraz

Temp. telecom.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

F1 officials to pay for mayor, city manager to travel to London race; city to pay for 4 more

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/f1- ... 05570.html
Circuit of the Americas approached Leffingwell and Ott about a month ago with the offer to fly two city officials to London to see the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, a permanent track in the English countryside. Last week, Leffingwell accepted one of the trips, and Ott accepted the other. Ott also decided to send (Austin Police Chief) Acevedo and (Austin Fire Chief) Kerr as well as Sue Edwards, the assistant city manager for development services, and Rodney Gonzales, the deputy director of economic growth and redevelopment services.

Leffingwell's and Ott's flights and lodging will be paid for by Circuit of the Americas, a circuit spokeswoman said, and the city will pay for the other four trips. Officials did not know how much the trip would cost, but a search of travel websites found that airfare and lodging in London for five days could be about $2,000 per person.

"The intent is for (Austin officials) to go and see how others do a job they're going to do in Austin in November ... and learn from some very experienced people what it is that they need to do to make sure they run a successful event in Austin," said Julie Loignon, a spokeswoman for Circuit of the Americas.

Loignon said Silverstone representatives have arranged for the Austin contingent to meet with their counterparts in the track's nearby county of Northamptonshire. Silverstone is similar to the F1 track near Elroy, as both are permanent tracks in somewhat rural areas, Loignon said.

On Tuesday, Travis County commissioners nixed a similar trip for two staff members that would have been primarily paid for by race organizers. The offer made to Austin was never discussed by the City Council.

While the track is not within Austin's city limits, the city said it will be closely involved and affected by the estimated 120,000 attendees for the race weekend Nov. 16 to 18.

The majority of those people will stay in Austin, city spokeswoman Roxanne Evans said. "All city public safety agencies will be engaged during the event," she said.

xpensive
xpensive

hairy_scotsman wrote:F1 officials to pay for mayor, city manager to travel to London race; city to pay for 4 more

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/f1- ... 05570.html
xpensive wrote:

Perhaps the good commissioners would have liked to go themselves, rather than sending some...
:lol:

strad

Any reason for a junket X...Heck I have a lame duck Governor traveling to Wales to supposedly talk exports with the Pacific NW,,a Mayor that's going to Vegas under the guise of finding clients for a mall. :lol:
There was no way you were gonna be wrong on this one. =D>
But we are nearing that Nomex sandwich.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nando
Nando

4 apexes, nice :) probably will be taken as 2 though, 2nd and last perhaps.

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

xpensive
xpensive

strad wrote:Any reason for a junket X...
"Officials did not know how much the trip would cost, but a search of travel websites found that airfare and lodging in London for five days could be about $2,000 per person."

Two grand for five days in London, including airfare, staying with the Salvation Army or what?