Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cuky

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

this is from formula1.com technical news
Whilst Raikkonen used the front wing introduced at the previous round in Canada (see right-hand insets), Grosjean opted to sample a modified version of this Montreal wing (see main drawing).

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Lotus's new FW analysis from Gary Anderson

via AutoSport

bhall
bhall

I get a kick out of this.

JackHammer

That is just incredible, so much difference

Huntresa
Huntresa

Yeah the 09 rule changes and forward has rly brought FWs to the front of development, compared to any other era of F1 cars these wings are so crasy, in a good way :D

raymondu999

I think that's more because the chassis is very much a dead-ish end nowadays for development isn't it?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

Pretty much. The front wing is now the primary method remaining of influencing flow over the rest of the car. There's things you can do with sidepod shape, splitter shape, barge boards, turning vanes, etc. but its so much more limited than it was pre 09. I wouldn't call it a dead end, but the front wing has become more influential relative to the rest of the body because it is relatively unrestricted.

StefanHamminga
StefanHamminga

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Front Bulkhead/Suspension
Anyone else curious about the use of all the crosshead screws? I would expect them to use torx (or inbus / hex) for most places, as they usually are less prone to stripping while replacing parts in a hurry. I'm guessing there must be a reason for using crossheads I'm missing. Or is it just the head angle (and resulting shallow depth)?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

They don't look like standard Phillips screw when you zoom in.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

StefanHamminga
StefanHamminga

They are called Torq-set, but I still wonder... are they that much better? Here they are usually sold as a type of 'tamper proof' screws.

beelsebob
beelsebob

StefanHamminga wrote:They are called Torq-set, but I still wonder... are they that much better? Here they are usually sold as a type of 'tamper proof' screws.
No, Torx screws simply offer more purchase and lower likelyhood of stripping.

StefanHamminga
StefanHamminga

beelsebob wrote:
StefanHamminga wrote:They are called Torq-set, but I still wonder... are they that much better? Here they are usually sold as a type of 'tamper proof' screws.
I'm guessing you misread? I was talking about Torq-set, which is what is in the picture. Torx would have been my preference too, by experience. That is why I was wondering why they would choose a crosshead variant.

beelsebob
beelsebob

StefanHamminga wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
I'm guessing you misread? I was talking about Torq-set, which is what is in the picture. Torx would have been my preference too, by experience. That is why I was wondering why they would choose a crosshead variant.
Sorry, I did indeed missread, brain fart this morning.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

StefanHamminga wrote:....
Anyone else curious about the use of all the crosshead screws? I would expect them to use torx (or inbus / hex) for most places, as they usually are less prone to stripping while replacing parts in a hurry. I'm guessing there must be a reason for using crossheads I'm missing. Or is it just the head angle (and resulting shallow depth)?
A total SWAG: they're titanium and they're much easier to get in that style than in Torx. I know, I know, it's F1 and cost is no object. But I said it's just a SWAG.

Forza

Silverstone this morning - E20 FW