London GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Re: London GP?

Just saw this from the Daily Mail

SeijaKessen

bhallg2k wrote:Valencia will alternate with Barcelona as the Spanish Grand Prix. So, there's one spot. France is to alternate with Spa - which is a f'ing travesty, if you ask me. But, there's another spot. Anything else?
I think what we're going to see is less off-time in between races next season.

The 2 week gap is going to go away in a number of areas; 3-4 GP's per month in 2013.

This year August is empty of races, so I suspect August 2013 will have several races at least.

The main thing really would be to change the logistics involved with the races...23 races would not be a big deal IMO if they would cut down on the global hopping they have currently. e.g. Bahrain and Abu Dhabi should be done consecutively.

bhall
bhall

Lots of teams are generally opposed to a season with more than 20 races. However, I imagine that such trepidation can easily be purchased for the right fee.

Is Mexico City back in the fray, or is that still just a rumor?

(And if the circuit map C_X just shared is real, why bother?)

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

forty-two wrote:I doubt this would ever actually happen.

For those of you who know London, it would look spectacular, and would draw in huge crowds, no doubt but the congestion etc. would probably make it impossible. Remember that us Londoners are about to experience how screwed up a city can become as a result of a major international sport event!

For the record, here's an image from the Guardian web article:

One more massive reason why the proposed route couldn't work is that part of it involves going through admiralty arch, which looks a little narrow to form part of an FIA approved F1 circuit to me! It would be interesting to watch though!

Almost certainly a distraction tactic on the part of Mr. E IMHO.
I have it on good authority that the arch is wide enough for two cars. If they both have nuts of steel. Or carbotanium. Or whatever an F1 driver's sack is usually made of.

It might not look like much on paper but trust me once you see this track from a first person perspective it's amazing. The 5, 6, 7 complex reminds me quite a lot of 11 at Albert Park. Down one notch, tap the brakes, wing it one way then the other and hope it sticks. Coming down Birdcage Walk you hit that little kink and BAM Big Ben right there in the middle of the street. It would be damned EPIC television.

SeijaKessen

bhallg2k wrote:Lots of teams are generally opposed to a season with more than 20 races. However, I imagine that such trepidation can easily be purchased for the right fee.

Is Mexico City back in the fray, or is that still just a rumor?

(And if the circuit map C_X just shared is real, why bother?)
I agree on the trepidation being purchased for the right fee. All this is going to come down to is how much more of a cut the teams get out of the pie for 2013. A few more percentage points and they'll go wherever the circus goes.

I was under the assumption Mexico City is back in the mix...I thought the FIA sent or was in the process of sending or had already sent, some people to inspect the circuit to see what they need to do in order to bring the circuit up to current FIA regs. I could be wrong on that, and I am sure if I am, someone will take the time to correct me.

SeijaKessen

Don't forget, there was also the mention of Argentina being rumored to get a GP as well.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Just saw this from the Daily Mail
(image removed to keep the mods happy :wink: )
What a horrible, mickey mouse circuit idea. A string of slow corners with short straights between them. Barely a corner worthy of a Formula 1 car (T5-T7 might be fun but the rest of it is just point and squirt.) Yawn!

The perfect example of F1 prostituting itself... :cry:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GTO

Yea, going thru that arch won't work, but in general, I think this race would be quite good. I like the layout & location. It's can't be too diff. than Singapore which is also a point & squirt circuit. I agree so some extent that there are no high speed corners "worthy" of an F1 car, but these type of tight street courses do test the agility/nimbleness of the car & ability of the team to provide such a setup. In addition, as we saw in Valencia, these type of tight street courses also test the drivers skill, patience and risk taking abilty in manuvering thru traffic.

chepoi
chepoi

bhall
bhall

chepoi wrote:London GP in 3D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx7neIAV ... el&list=UL[/youtube]
A London night race? This gets weirder every time something new is revealed.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Just_a_fan wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Just saw this from the Daily Mail
(image removed to keep the mods happy :wink: )
What a horrible, mickey mouse circuit idea. A string of slow corners with short straights between them. Barely a corner worthy of a Formula 1 car (T5-T7 might be fun but the rest of it is just point and squirt.) Yawn!

The perfect example of F1 prostituting itself... :cry:
No, it absolutely is not a slow paced lap. The T2 chicane is very similar to the swimming pool at Monaco in that it's a fairly shallow chicane that's much faster than it looks on paper. T4 (Wellington) is going to be THE prime overtaking spot. It's a fairly tight corner, but very wide, and there's easily two lines through there. T5-7 is absolutely amazing. The complex starting at T9 (Parliament) is slow and technical, but the way it's set up makes it another prime spot for overtaking. T14 is another good wide open corner and with it funneling right into the arch it's going to be an absolute blast.

As a street circuit it has the potential to be more Melbourne than Valencia.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

...and time for a nice ice bath.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/06/ ... e-on-mars/
Joe Saward

It is no great surprise that on the morning after the sentencing in Germany of Dr Gerhard Gribkowsky to a lengthy prison term for accepting a bribe in the sale process of the Formula One group – and the obvious questions that arise from that verdict – there is a story in the English newspapers, led by The Times, that there will be a Grand Prix on the streets of London.

Magicians achieve much of their magic by using distractive techniques to draw the audience’s attention away from whatever it is they are up to. Emphatic gestures, a drum roll and a crash of cymbals, or a flash-bang with smoke. The magician orchestrates his words and actions so that the spectators are looking at what he wants them to look at, rather than what he does not want them to see.

A Grand Prix on the streets of London makes no sense at all in real terms and the people at The Times simply end up looking foolish for having gone down this path. One can only hope that they did so wittingly, perhaps currying favour with the F1 boss, rather than printing such a load of guff because they actually believe it is possible. If Mr E has convinced them it is real, then good for him, although alarms would have started sounding for me if he had mentioned that the Formula One group might even pay for the event itself. Clearly the story would have no legs if there were doubts about funding.

However, I can only wonder what CVC Capital Partners and its friends from Kansas would make of someone agreeing to reduce its profits by a sizeable chunk. Funding a race on its own would require the Formula One group to pay various parties: the teams would want the usual money for an additional race; if there were no fees coming in from a local promoter that would mean around $30 million would need to be found. Add to that about the same sort of money to create the infrastructure needed and you can see that this would be a major financial undertaking, with only the gate money in return. So there might be 120,000 people. If they each paid $200, that would raise $24 million. You see the problem? These investor types would not go for that because that would impact on their bottom line. F1 gains nothing by boosting the local economy, which is why local governments pay for races, but in the case of London the impact would be lessened.

Depending on who you believe, London is the world’s top tourist destinations, ahead of New York and Paris. Whatever the case, it is in the top three. Its hotel rates and occupancy rates are higher than ever before, with 92.4 percent last summer and even better figures expected this year because of the Olympic Games. This means that the economic impact of an event such as a Grand Prix are limited because the money is already there. All that would happen would be different people in the hotel rooms. Perhaps they would pay over the odds, but London prices are already very high so the economic benefits would be less dramatic than in other cities where they need to fill the beds; and London hardly needs any more global advertising.

Disruption would be another question, just as it is an issue in any major city where a race track runs through the centre. The only way to avoid the kind of criticism that happens in Singapore, where the tracks cuts major traffic arteries, is to have the circuit running in and around a park. Unlike Albert Park in Melbourne, it would be hard to get the whole event into one of London’s existing facilities and have the kind of landmarks one would want to see. It is not impossible but 30 years ago Autosport ran just such an idea in one of its April 1 editions…

This is all rather academic in my opinion because there is no real likelihood of such an event happening. Silverstone has an F1 contract that runs until 2027 (yes, really) and that means that there would need to be two GPs in Britain, at a time when the concept of two races per country is deemed to be rather old-fashioned (and unnecessary). I am sure that if I dug around for a bit, I could find a quote for Bernie on that subject.

While I would love to see a Grand Prix in London and think that it would be good for the sport, I do feel that this idea will fade quietly away, having done its job of deflecting attention away from the important question of today: what are the implications of the Gribkowsky guilty verdict?

The cynic in me says that a man who has nothing to hide does not need to use the old magician tricks, but I prefer to wait and see what the prosecution service decides to do before making any judgements on the rights and wrongs of the Gribkowsky Affair.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

I'm not an expert, but Grands Prix go to where they are needed. They are the pieces in FOM's global board game. Paying to put one of your pieces in London sounds like a joke.

bhall
bhall

(I only included my own quote here because I positively hate it when Joe Saward and I agree on anything, especially after the whitewash spin he put on Bahrain. So, at least now I can somehow construe it in my warped mind that he's actually just agreeing with me. Make sense? Good.)

It should be obvious to everyone that this is nothing but an act of subterfuge on Ecclestone's part to cover up the fact that he got caught red-handed doing what he always does. Only in an 81-year-old mind that's grown moldy from what's got to be a 41-year-old haircut would the idea of public bribery to cover up disclosed bribery seem to be effective.

What he's failed to realize this time is that the whole world has been gripped and gutted by a series of crippling financial crises caused specifically by his particular brand of business dealings, and people are extremely pissed off about it. He will be lucky to stay out of jail, London GP or no London GP.

bhallg2k wrote:So, after it's conclusively established that Ecclestone paid hefty bribes to Gerhard Gribkowsky over the sale of F1 to CVC, Bernie now says that he'd be willing to fund a London Grand Prix.

Does anyone else find it weird that he's trying to mitigate any potential PR damage from that bribe revelation with effectively yet another bribe?

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Oh, you already cottoned on to it. My bad. I assumed the whole thread was about track speculation.

About the night race video, I was going to suggest that in the interest of efficiency for the guy producing the clip, it would make sense to show a night race in order to cut down on the rendering required for all the landmarks the cars would drive by. However, rewatching the clip that doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe it was just about making it look cooler. It's advertising after all.