COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Chill to the smooth latin sounds of CotA, thanks to budaman on the speed forums...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxPjrRdPKc[/youtube]

(not digging the escheresque tower)

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:Firewoman
Differently-gendered fireman.
Yeah, when I came into the FD, it was always "Fireman", and when we occasionally encountered a female firefighter, we (and she) would call her a Firewoman or female firefighter or just a firefighter. Now there are a lot more women in the FD, and you always hear "Firefighter" as a catch-all, and "Fireman".
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

As you all can see in that video, blindly coming over the top of the hill and nailing the approach to 10 will be no picnic.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Looks like previously PSL-only tickets are now on sale at Formula1.com:

http://travel.wwte1.com/pub/agent.dll?q ... 6431-30001

Pup
Pup

No surprise. I always thought that resellers would be some of the main buyers of PSL's.

strad

No surprise. I always thought that resellers would be some of the main buyers of PSL's.
Does that translate: Scalpers?
Is that legal in Texas?...Some states have laws against that.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

BTW, Vance just got finished taking a tour out there today. Should have photos up soon. I'll post them here asap. Here's the first:

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:No surprise. I always thought that resellers would be some of the main buyers of PSL's.
Or the sign of some PSL holders getting cold feet about the prospect of the race taking place...just saying?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman wrote:BTW, Vance just got finished taking a tour out there today.
70 new tour photos here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Enjoy!

strad

I've grown to like the wall(s)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

I have a feeling this course is going to border on the insane as far as judging it from a drivers perspective. Look at the immense technicality of the first corner alone, wide, with different cambers along the road, that alone is a huge setup challenge. Not to mention the abrupt undulations as well as the lack of clearly defined apexes plus elevation changes, in addition to it's high speed nature will definitely push drivers from a mental standpoint. I think this thing is pretty darn cool if you ask me.
Saishū kōnā

sknguy
sknguy

godlameroso wrote:...the first corner alone, wide, with different cambers along the road...
Judging by the photo above the driver who takes the defensive line into T1 will have the advantage going through the corner with the positive camber. Looks like you'll lose the camber if you try overtake on the outside to gain the inside line going into T2. T1's gonna be fun. :)

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:
Does that translate: Scalpers?
Is that legal in Texas?...Some states have laws against that.
Most of the resellers package their tickets with hotels, airfare, events, etc., so I doubt if they'd run afoul of any laws. No idea what the TX laws are anyway - but we've seen some links to ticket brokers for the other seating already, so I assume it's legal.

As for F1, I'd bet that they negotiate a stash of tickets as part of their contract. That, or they're taking a commission. Anyway, I doubt Bernie would be happy if he couldn't sell the good seats - I guess we can all make guesses about whether they had to pay for the PSL or not.

Anyway, I think some people are, and will be, looking for ways to claim that CotA is dumping unsold PSL's. Whatever.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Pup wrote: Most of the resellers package their tickets with hotels, airfare, events, etc., so I doubt if they'd run afoul of any laws. No idea what the TX laws are anyway - but we've seen some links to ticket brokers for the other seating already, so I assume it's legal.

As for F1, I'd bet that they negotiate a stash of tickets as part of their contract. That, or they're taking a commission. Anyway, I doubt Bernie would be happy if he couldn't sell the good seats - I guess we can all make guesses about whether they had to pay for the PSL or not.

Anyway, I think some people are, and will be, looking for ways to claim that CotA is dumping unsold PSL's. Whatever.
And I'll let those people in on a secret... there was no way they were going to sell all of the PSL's. If they did I'd be utterly shocked. Either way, what does it really matter to any of us? "OMG THEY DINT SELL OUT LOL!" Nah, doesn't matter. The seats will be filled, they'll make their money.

strad

And the track will be great! The food and music in Austin will just be a bonus..not to mention the wimmen. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss