Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Danlauz
Danlauz

Re: Ferrari F2012

Am i the only one thinking that last gp vettel aletrnator could be relate to that ? ( lower voltage from the laternator )

F1.Ru

Danlauz wrote:Am i the only one thinking that last gp vettel aletrnator could be relate to that ? ( lower voltage from the laternator )
Welcome to the forum......................

Vettles problem could or could not be due to lower voltage, but i think that better should be discussed at RBR thread..............
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11807 :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

strad

I love the way Ferrari accomplish the same thing as Red Bulls hole by using three louvers in the floor ahead of the rear wheel but legal because they cut this tiny little slot.The way all these guys can create and find loopholes never ceases to amaze me.
It's not holes, it's the design of the floor. :lol: Good work guys.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

strad wrote:I love the way Ferrari accomplish the same thing as Red Bulls hole by using three louvers in the floor ahead of the rear wheel but legal because they cut this tiny little slot.The way all these guys can create and find loopholes never ceases to amaze me.
It's not holes, it's the design of the floor. :lol: Good work guys.
Other teams have done this for a few seasons with cooling slots anyway. RBR just found a way to do it without creating a slot and then got rid of the slot when they didn't need it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

idiot
idiot

Lycoming wrote:From the perspective of the tyres, KERS harvest is the exact same as applying the brakes; both apply the force through the hub to the rim to the tyre. The brake disc works less though, and less energy is put into them. Unless this is accounted for in the design of the brakes or ducts, they will radiate less heat into the rim. In discharge, you will get additional wear if you apply it prematurely and generate wheelspin.

Other than that, I can't think of any way that KERS affects the tyres.
How does KERS and BRAKE are exact same?KERS tend to further rotate the hub and BRAKES tend to stop rotation of the hub...Furthermore KERS being used in certain spots like 100 kmh + so the wheel wont spin..

LionKing
LionKing

idiot wrote:
Lycoming wrote:From the perspective of the tyres, KERS harvest is the exact same as applying the brakes; both apply the force through the hub to the rim to the tyre. The brake disc works less though, and less energy is put into them. Unless this is accounted for in the design of the brakes or ducts, they will radiate less heat into the rim. In discharge, you will get additional wear if you apply it prematurely and generate wheelspin.

Other than that, I can't think of any way that KERS affects the tyres.
How does KERS and BRAKE are exact same?KERS tend to further rotate the hub and BRAKES tend to stop rotation of the hub...Furthermore KERS being used in certain spots like 100 kmh + so the wheel wont spin..
He says KERS harvest not KERS.

bhall
bhall

Yeah, but that's the most honestly represented post I've ever seen here.

strad

Other teams have done this for a few seasons with cooling slots anyway.
I'm talking about the now banned "hole" in the floor just ahead of the rear wheels on the Red Bull.
Ferrari now have three, but to keep them from being a "hole" there is a 1/32 inch slot to the edge so it's not a hole.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

strad wrote:
I'm talking about the now banned "hole" in the floor just ahead of the rear wheels on the Red Bull.
Ferrari now have three, but to keep them from being a "hole" there is a 1/32 inch slot to the edge so it's not a hole.
Yeah the idea of making a slot to circumnavigate the no hole rule isn't new. Sauber, Ferrari and RBR decided to go for a hole infront of the tyres and Ferrari and Sauber used the slotted hole loophole while RBR created their own loophole.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

strad wrote:
Ferrari has done this before with louvers/gills for engine cooling as well. Caterham is also doing this now as well with the set of gills they have on their car.

bhall
bhall

F10
(Click to enlarge)

strad

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing...to that end..
http://www.speedtv.com//video/formula-1 ... 01/1#_vtop
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

We are, and we aren't. The slots (holes) in the floor ahead of the rear wheels are legal for the same reason "additional" apertures are allowed "ahead" of the exhaust outlet: judicious use of a hairline crack. It makes a hole out of a slot and slots out of a hole.

(I feel like that statement is ripe with innuendo.)

("In your end-do!")

Mr.G

Regarding to the Valencia Renault engine issue. I was wondering if is there any rule, which denied the use of KERS batteries as the power source for the car?

I know there is the rule which limited the power which can KERS add to the engine but if they did slightly bigger battery they should use this as the power source for the car and get rid-off the alternator.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Crabbia
Crabbia

thought about this too when it happened. I think the discharge and recharge cycle of the kers is at too high an intensity and power output, so you wouldn't want it to share a circuit with delicate electronics, unless you have a transformer or surge protector. which would probably be heavier in the case of a kers than a alternator, far less windings, far more efficient overall.

also interesting to see the in car camera was still on when the car electronics were dead. So atleast now we know the cameras run on their own power. i asked this a while back in this thread.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...