Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gato azul
gato azul

Re: Ferrari F2012

hardingfv32 wrote:In the last photo, what would you say the white/silver heat shield behind the exhaust is made from?

Brian
Zircotec perhaps

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

alogoc wrote:better traction obviously :D
Why? The torque is controlled by the driver. The driver can always just apply a little more throttle and find wheel spin. Better traction is only going to come when the driver or engine know that traction loss is imminent and take corrective action.

Brian

red300zx99
red300zx99

hardingfv32 wrote: Better traction is only going to come when the driver or engine know that traction loss is imminent and take corrective action.

Brian
They've been doing simulations for however long. They knew there would be issues with traction beforehand, the corrective action was the engine map.
gridmotorsports.com

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

red300zx99 wrote:They've been doing simulations for however long. They knew there would be issues with traction beforehand, the corrective action was the engine map.
If they know where the traction issues are before hand, then why can't the driver deal with it?

To repeat.... The driver controls the throttle!

He has not idea where the engine is relative torque output and if just a little more throttle will be good or bad at a given point on the track. The whole point of traction control is to relieve the driver of this judgement.

Brian

scuderiaF2012
scuderiaF2012

so wait a minute, do Red Fools have different engine maps that they are running (a.k.a off throttle blowing) which they had that last year and some said that last year they were using it up to 80%

or they have something like TRACTION CONTROL to prevent the wheels form spinning...

if so i thought that traction control was NOT allowed anymore in F1 since 2008

thx

bhall
bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:[...]

To repeat.... The driver controls the throttle!

He has not idea where the engine is relative torque output and if just a little more throttle will be good or bad at a given point on the track. The whole point of traction control is to relieve the driver of this judgement.

Brian
The driver does not, however, control the engine's response to throttle. That's the key.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

bhallg2k wrote: That's the key.
Key to what?

The driver controls how much torque reaches the rear tires. Changing an engine or throttle map is not 'traction control'. It might make the torque application more user friendly, but that is it. As a driver I do not care what you do to the throttle map, etc., if I think I can use more torque them my throttle foot is going to find it no matter where you try to hide it.

So, what does this have to do with traction control?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

Did you actually read what bhallg2k wrote?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

What do you think the implications of his statement are?

"The driver does not, however, control the engine's response to throttle." No a program does, so what? Does the driver have ultimate control of the engines output or not? HIs response is normal for when he is lacking real answers.

Brian

red300zx99
red300zx99

hardingfv32 wrote: It might make the torque application more user friendly
More user friendly engine is always nice at a traction limited track and then theres those tires that wear so bad.

I wouldn't call it traction control, more like traction management.
gridmotorsports.com

bar555
bar555

Ferrari have an astonishing development rate on many areas on the car so far .I have already completed the F2012 rear wing evolution from launch to Silverstone
:arrow: Part A
:arrow: Part B
and i am currently working on a similar project on front wing evolution . Diffuser and some other areas will follow
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

bhall
bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:What do you think the implications of his statement are?

"The driver does not, however, control the engine's response to throttle." No a program does, so what? Does the driver have ultimate control of the engines output or not? HIs response is normal for when he is lacking real answers.

Brian
And that program is called an engine map. If you can't see how such adjustments can be advantageous, then I simply don't know what to tell you.

My response is normal for when I'm addressing someone who should know the score.

Should I alter my assumption that you possess at least an average F1 intelligence? I'd be happy to do so. Just let me know.

jaba.hut

Electronic fuel injection was invented to iron and smooth drivers input and to exploit engines capabilities in best way and to optimize fuel consumption compared to carburetor which used depression to suck fuel from its reservoir as much as throttle was open and diameter of nozzle would allow. And what RB is doing is that actually do not use input from driver as information for ECU but based on experience inject fuel as would be enough to have best traction.

bhall
bhall

Exactly. And because their maps are alleged to fall afoul of the rules, the FIA has an issue with them.

Nowhereman

It again is a stroke of genius from RB.
It will most likely be allowed and all will copy it until next year.
Let them innovate as innovation is the heart an soul of F1 development.
No matter where you go, there you are.