Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

amouzouris wrote:
alogoc wrote:Apperantly it was tested in Idiada by Marc Gene!

Could it be that the car was originaly designed whit an option to tilt the engine?
source? also... it might not be that hard to tilt the engine after all...

it's just rumors as i said from twitter,but so far there's been some truth in that source!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

timbo
timbo

amouzouris wrote:source? also... it might not be that hard to tilt the engine after all...
It IS hard. Engine is a structural member and is bolted directly to tub. There probably a new tub needed for that. Also, such a change would require a new floor and bodywork around it.
I think the rumor is some misinterpretation of the real news. Maybe they'd simply try a higher rake overall.

amouzouris

timbo wrote:
amouzouris wrote:well...it does...since the suspension will be brought upwards the ride height of the suspension will change but not the one of the floor...cs u want the floor lower for the diffuser to work with the current exhaust design that doesn't let u run as much rake... read what ive said again and u will understand what im on about...
Having higher ridehide alone is of no benefit for traction, what you want is bigger suspension travel. Having the floor in the same position wouldn't allow for that. So no point.
i agree that what you want is bigger suspension travel...by increasing the ride height you will achieve that...and why does the floor limit the suspension travel...the suspension is attached to the gearbox..

amouzouris

timbo wrote:
amouzouris wrote:source? also... it might not be that hard to tilt the engine after all...
It IS hard. Engine is a structural member and is bolted directly to tub. There probably a new tub needed for that. Also, such a change would require a new floor and bodywork around it.
I think the rumor is some misinterpretation of the real news. Maybe they'd simply try a higher rake overall.
thats my whole point....you will not redesign the floor...you will just change the position the engine is mounted..i know it is bolted directly on the tub...maybe they did something clever with that...you will not redesign the floor cs you dont wanna mess with the aerodynamics...maybe the only reason they did that was for the suspension...dont make me repeat myself over and over

alogoc
alogoc

this IS technical :D

Pirreli marbles plus F2012!

http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... er1960.jpg
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

PhillipM
PhillipM

Why would anyone want to lift the engine up? What benefit would that ever give you with the regs the way they are today? Possibly back when you could make diffusers bigger by lifting the gearbox/diff, but I can see no reason for it at all.

Nando
Nando

Fantastic shot of the Ferrari! Beautiful picture!
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

timbo
timbo

amouzouris wrote:and why does the floor limit the suspension travel...the suspension is attached to the gearbox..
Because if the floor is 5 cm above the track you can't have more that 5 cm compression.

amouzouris

timbo wrote:
amouzouris wrote:and why does the floor limit the suspension travel...the suspension is attached to the gearbox..
Because if the floor is 5 cm above the track you can't have more that 5 cm compression.
on this you are right...didnt think of that...

edit: i can still though see a positive effect on the suspension as they might be able to play around with a bigger rocker and because the wishbone and pullrod angle will change it will benefit the pullrod suspension

Redragon

I am not a technical person but spanish press were saying last week that
the lack of performance on the late stages of race was due the fuel tank position
that it is more in front that others cars and ferrari were looking for a new solution.
Could be this rumours of tilting the engine be related with fuel tanks reposition rumours from last week?

timbo
timbo

Redragon wrote:I am not a technical person but spanish press were saying last week that
the lack of performance on the late stages of race was due the fuel tank position
that it is more in front that others cars and ferrari were looking for a new solution.
Could be this rumours of tilting the engine be related with fuel tanks reposition rumours from last week?
Hmm, now this may be interesting to ponder, and, actually, may also relate to their relative struggles in dry qualifying, But how much space can tilting provide? The engine is small, I'd doubt there would be more that 1" difference.

amouzouris

timbo wrote:
Redragon wrote:I am not a technical person but spanish press were saying last week that
Hmm, now this may be interesting to ponder, and, actually, may also relate to their relative struggles in dry qualifying, But how much space can tilting provide? The engine is small, I'd doubt there would be more that 1" difference.
this is indeed very interesting...much more interesting than my suspension pep talk....

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Isn't the engine CG have a lower limit set by the rules. Would you not expect that everyone's engine is set there? So you would only be raising the transmission if you go for a tilt change... unless you also plan to change the transmission.

Brian

bhall
bhall

The F10's engine and transmission were tilted. But, that was done to allow for a bigger double-diffuser. I don't know that it would be advantageous now, because it would raise the rear-end's CoG and, importantly, alter the suspension.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

From here onwards, please direct any comments related to the engine mapping situation to this thread. Any future comments posted in here will be moved there without notice.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.