Less torque to reduce tyre wear?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cam

Re: Less torque is illegal? Red Bull WTF

red300zx99 wrote:You have data to support your statement that they didn't prevent wheelspin?
If they prevented wheelspin - that would be traction control, which is banned and Jo Bauer would of picked that up. My evidence is Jo Bauer's none issue of a statement that RBR has TC.
red300zx99 wrote:TC TRYS to prevent excessive wheelspin. No system is perfect though.
No, TC does prevent wheelspin. If you have a car with TC and it has wheelspin, take it back and get it fixed - it's broken.

There's no grey area to be had here. You either prevent wheelspin or you have degrees of it.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

red300zx99
red300zx99

Cam wrote: You either prevent wheelspin or you have degrees of it.
Exactly :wink:
gridmotorsports.com

red300zx99
red300zx99

Also to note is your definition of Traction Control uses the wording 'method'
gridmotorsports.com

Cam

Depends on the definition source. WIKI calls it a 'function'. That definition is quite good. A 'function' that 'prevents' wheelspin. That's is as it reads. A good lawyer will word around it though.

I don't think arguing that RBR were operating a TC system is right. I get the 'spirit' of the argument, but its not correct. Minimising traction loss is not TC.

Here's an article from Bosch:
You may occasionally experience a wheel spin when starting off or accelerating, particularly on a slippery or wet road surface. The Traction Control from Bosch prevents wheel spin. While the Antilock Braking System ABS prevents the wheels from locking during braking by reducing the braking pressures, Traction Control ensures that the wheels do not spin when driving off or accelerating. To do this, the drive torque at each driven wheel is reduced respectively. Traction Control improves the traction of the vehicle and increases vehicle safety by avoiding unstable driving situations within the limits of physics.

How it works: Traction Control supplements the ABS function. If one of the driven wheels tend to spin, Traction Control is activated. The traction control system reduces the drive torque supplied by the engine and, if necessary, brakes individual wheels in order to regulate the slip of the driven wheels as quickly as possible to the optimum level.
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

raymondu999

It makes it easier for the driver to keep traction in check - it doesn't actually prevent it.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Cam

Yep, I realise that, but you have to look at it from a legal perspective to see what you can argue to get away with. Every definition of TC states 'prevents wheelspin', so anything that improves traction but doesn't go so far as to prevent it, would be fair game. Until the definition gets changed and industry start using terms like 'minimises traction lose through wheelspin' then it's game on.
― Socrates

gato azul
gato azul

Cam wrote: No, TC does prevent wheelspin. If you have a car with TC and it has wheelspin, take it back and get it fixed - it's broken.

There's no grey area to be had here. You either prevent wheelspin or you have degrees of it.
well, not really wanting to get too much involved in this p.... match, but if we see, that optimum forward traction of an tyre seems to be achieved with slipratio's > 0% (somewhere between 10-20%), having a system which "prevents wheelspin" seems counterproductive, or at least would require a definiton of what "wheelspin" is.

A true/good TCS/ASR would "control" wheel slip in a way, that it stays in his "optimum range", which changes with things like load and the tyre and slip angle (lateral loading of the tyre).
Preventing "any" wheelspin/slip would mean no acceleration at all, so a true TC would control "degrees of it" in your words.

Cam

They're not my words. You can find TC definitions al over the web if you do a search and I've given a few examples, whom state that wording.

This just brings into clear light what the regs have be careful of and what other people need to be careful of when claiming teams are cheating. Teams will go to great lengths to find an 'interpretation' of the rules - as I've just demonstrated.

Regarding the TC definition - technically, I'm on the money although others don't agree with my wording, in the spirit I look like I'm trying to fool you, in real world terms, no, TC will allow wheelspin of some sort and control that for the driver to help maintain traction.

I'm not arguing what TC is or isn't, I'm showing you how teams get around it and situations similar.
― Socrates

raymondu999

Cam wrote:Yep, I realise that, but you have to look at it from a legal perspective to see what you can argue to get away with. Every definition of TC states 'prevents wheelspin', so anything that improves traction but doesn't go so far as to prevent it, would be fair game. Until the definition gets changed and industry start using terms like 'minimises traction lose through wheelspin' then it's game on.
That's what I'm saying - I'm agreeing with you mate! :lol:
gato azul wrote:well, not really wanting to get too much involved in this p.... match, but if we see, that optimum forward traction of an tyre seems to be achieved with slipratio's > 0% (somewhere between 10-20%), having a system which "prevents wheelspin" seems counterproductive, or at least would require a definiton of what "wheelspin" is.

A true/good TCS/ASR would "control" wheel slip in a way, that it stays in his "optimum range", which changes with things like load and the tyre and slip angle (lateral loading of the tyre).
Preventing "any" wheelspin/slip would mean no acceleration at all, so a true TC would control "degrees of it" in your words.

[img]http://www.racer.nl/images/pac_f12002.jpg[img]
All well and true. But a TC system would receive outside input other than the driver and react automatically to said input to maintain "optimum" traction. If it was tuned to max out at 14% slip, then when 14.1% (or whatever accuracy you have your tcs set on) shows up, it cuts torque on its own volition and programming.

The torque map is, in comparison - a "dead" thing. Let's say then that for next race Red Bull goes to a 100% legal engine map. Next year Renault introduces "reliability upgrades" (as Ferrari and Mercedes do - not sure about Cosworth) that happen to alter the characteristics of the engine output just so beautifully identical to the "traction map," as it were, of the car - even without funky engine mapping. (I know my scenario is very utopian, but work with me here) The driver in said scenario never even has to worry about managing his right foot. He can plonk it down whenever he wants and he can be on the optimum traction range out of any slow corners. What then?

Conversely - if you had an engine so weak, or tyres so good - that meant you were never traction limited, even in a slow corner - what then? Would that be "traction control? That's how I see this situation - Red Bull have managed to weaken the engine so that it is much less traction-limited.

Do I agree it's against the spirit of the TC ban? Yes. Do I agree that it's against the rules? No. It's within the WORD of the rules. Much like the 2008 McLaren was, with their torque control paddles.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Cam wrote:Yep, I realise that, but you have to look at it from a legal perspective to see what you can argue to get away with. Every definition of TC states 'prevents wheelspin', so anything that improves traction but doesn't go so far as to prevent it, would be fair game. Until the definition gets changed and industry start using terms like 'minimises traction lose through wheelspin' then it's game on.
This is simply untrue. Even the pre-2008 F1 TC systems allowed wheelspin. The trick is to allow the correct percentage of wheelspin to create maximum friction at the tires(normally in the neighborhood of 10-15%).

Edit: crap! read ray's post right after I posted this.I'll still leave it here for posterity,though.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

strad

Cam...
but you have to look at it from a legal perspective to see what you can argue to get away with
really Now we need a lawyer at hand when we design a car ? Doesn't seem at all crazy to you?
The more rules the more you have this kind of thinking and it's why the fewer the rules the better.
We don't need the FIA designing the cars.
Give basic dimensions and what safety tests they have to conform to. Engine size and darn little else.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Cam

I don't make the rules strad. Blame the FIA. The tighter they try to stop innovation, the more it while occur through lawyers, which is happening increasingly.
Give basic dimensions and what safety tests they have to conform to. Engine size and darn little else.
If only mate, if only.

Edit: actually, you can blame the fans too. We let them get away with this. Enough fans put the hands up the will have to listen. So technically, you're the problem, and me, and everyone else :wtf:
― Socrates

turbof1

red300zx99 wrote:Sure you can add elements to make traction control better, but not having those elements doesn't mean it's not real traction control. Single variable(rpm) active TC is more prevalent then you think.
Well, it is what you define as traction control. Everyone his own opinion of course; my definition of it is alot more strict.
#AeroFrodo

Raptor22
Raptor22

I don;t understand all the fuss. Ferrari have been using traction managment algorhithms in their engine mapping for the past 12 seasons. There was a lot of fuss about it back then and it was deemed legal since its not traction control.

the issue with the Red Bull mapping is that the way the FIA have worded the rule is so open you can drive a bus through it with touching the sides.
The FIA attempted to say the throttlecurve should be a straight line. thats not impossible for a fuel injected, ECU controlled petrol engine. but it would help everyone of they simply state what they want instead ofresorting to complicated english that says nothing at all.

traction managment = legal
traction control = illegal

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

I agree with Raptor22. But suspect that (as usual) the wording is moot to give possibilities for maneuvre to both sides.
Anyway this thread is very useful for me as I have not thought much about how actually engine management is done.

One thing I'd like to ask (and please don't beat me if it's dumb) is about torque curve. AFAIC torque is not proportional to rpm and the native max torque of an engine reaches maximum at a point before maximum engine speed and then tends to decrease.
So presenting some graphs with only rising curve is confusing for me.
And I think Brian put a good question, the answer to which I didn't see or may have missed - What is 'torque demand' ?
I personally met this term only here and to me its a kind of variable used in engine management software which guarantees that pressing the throttle pedal will ensure engine acceleration for every step from lower to higher position of the pedal position sensor. The rate with which this is done is another matter.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012