Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bitbp
bitbp

Re: Ferrari F2012

I also heard rumors about the tilt engine. Also heard indeed they changed floor to achive the tilt change. But they were related to change and repacking the internal back side parf of the car to try to reduce internal drag of the car wich some has pointed as one of the known problems of the F2012. Could this have some sense?

Hail22

A source who earlier in the year that informed me Ferrari were doing some sort of testing with the F10 has again appeared in my email inbox with a tasty rumor treat.

Rumor has it that Ferrari will be throwing everything behind Alonso this weekend including making a 2-2.5 second pit stop also the final revision of the FW with new FWEPs will run all weekend with a tweak to the "rear" of his car only.

Apparently this was in the works since Winter testing but they may have been testing this idea with a possible (Third) Chassis of the F2012...

He may be on the money as its his 31st on Sunday...so it may coincide with a "special" gift from Maranello.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Jackuar

Hail22 wrote: ... a tasty rumor treat.

Rumor has it that Ferrari will be throwing everything behind Alonso this weekend including making a 2-2.5 second pit stop also the final revision of the FW with new FWEPs will run all weekend with a tweak to the "rear" of his car only.
Serious question - What makes this news a "Tasty rumor"? Because frankly, rather than a rumor, I think its obvious and expected for a team to go all-out before a major break, even more so when their driver is at the top of the tables - looking to consolidate his lead.. And not just Ferrari, every other team will certainly have special plans to end on a high note. ( The sub 2.5 is tasty though ;) )

Btw, final revision of the FW - did you say? That means final for the season and no more FW developments? Also, I guess that's the one they've been testing and not using in the race in the past few GPs?

Rumor or not, I'm not gonna complain though if he wins :mrgreen:
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I think he means the final version of the fw that has been tested during FP's but has not yet raced.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Hail22

mx_tifoso wrote:I think he means the final version of the fw that has been tested during FP's but has not yet raced.

What MX said.

Also Crucial and most guys who saw my rumor of the F10 testing at Fiorano a few months...with black tarp covering most of the fences ;)

Guess it has something to do with the "rear" that may show its face this weekend ;)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

alogoc
alogoc

in the past this has been VERY reliable source for me

alogoc @ alogoc
@Truzonef1 What do you think of Ferrari tilting engine for Hungary rumor?

Enrique Rodriguez @ Truzonef1
@alogoc I can not pronounce a lot, but the rumor is true.
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

gray41

But why tilt the engine?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

alogoc
alogoc

gray41 wrote:But why tilt the engine?
repacking internal components to solve low fuel performance plus possibly more rake to the rear!
THE F2012!

bhall
bhall

I guess the rationale is that tilting the engine would allow more space at the bottom of the car for the fuel cell. But, such a move would not only correspond with a decrease in space for the top of the fuel cell, it would fundamentally alter the dynamics of the car in terms of CoG and power transfer through drive shafts of different angles due to the resultant change in gearbox angle, which, coincidentally, would also result in altered rear suspension geometry. In other words, it seems like an awful lot of trouble for a relatively slight problem.

Or am I missing something?

Rockatansky

It looked fast enough to me at the end of the German GP?
Alonso was still setting PBs at the end IIRC.

It was also remarkable that a car with such fundamental downforce and traction issues at the start of the season, could stay ahead of both McLarens and Vettel's Red Bull through turn 3 and the back straight leading to the hairpin. All three of them had DRS active on a lot of instances, and Hamilton had fresh tyres.

Amazing turnaround.

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!

bhall
bhall

Rockatansky wrote:[...]

Amazing turnaround.
Andrea Stella wrote:Compared to the first winter tests in Jerez, we have perhaps improved by some three seconds per lap. But we have more ideas yet.

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:
Andrea Stella wrote:Compared to the first winter tests in Jerez, we have perhaps improved by some three seconds per lap. But we have more ideas yet.
If this is true, its damned impressive. Up until now, hanging two seconds of pace on it through the entire season was a fast development rate .
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.
marcush.

so neither Brawn nor Costa have anything to do with Ferraris ability to turn so-so cars into serious machinery .One has to look no further than towards MGP.
very interesting and telling.

superdread
superdread

The Ferrari from the beginning of the season wasn't that bad. Most of the ideas on it were quite good and sound (except the exhaust, that was unimaginative, but the inward facing sidepod intakes and the pullrod front were good). The basic problem, as I understand it, was that they couldn't correlate their wind tunnel to the real world. So effectively they had no wind tunnel, resulting in a massive amount of parts that most importantly didn't fit together.

When they got that working, and adapted a better exhaust solution, they got as fast as the other teams.

PS To be fair, their first exhaust (the one that melted the tires) was good in principle, but hat said drawback.