Less torque to reduce tyre wear?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stradivarius
Stradivarius

Re: Less torque is illegal? Red Bull WTF

gato azul wrote:
Stradivarius wrote: Not necessarily, I would say. If the Red Bull has tailored the torque demand at certain engine speeds to suit specific corners at a specific track, one could call it some kind of TC, but 9.3 wouldn't apply, since there wouldn't be any compensation for excessive throttle demand. For example, the team could observe that at a specific high speed corner, the driver can go flat out if they reduce the torque demand around 15k rpm. This would aid the driver in a way, because he wouldn't have to control the torque demand himself, he would just let the engine maping give him the optimal torque. This could be understood as a form of traction control, although it isn't the same as a system responding to wheel-spin.

I am actually not sure if this would be illegal, but I can understand if FIA don't want this to happen.
what is "some kind of"?
what you describe has nothing to do with Traction Control, the important word being CONTROL.
Can you explain precisely what this word means to you? And more importantly, what it doesn't mean?
Yes RBR engineers, could look at a corner, the gear ratio used, the downfor.ce level, and some other parameters, then try to anticipate the grip level at that corner in question, and produce a map, which would allow the driver to put the pedal down, and hope that the engineers have got it right, and if the did, he would be able, under a specific set of conditions to drive out of the corner with optimum traction ( in theory).
Fair enough, nothing wrong with that, I'm pretty sure, that this is 90% of the daily work of the control and application engineers. But it has nothing to do with CONTROL.
If the same driver, with the same car, drives through the same corner, but there is an oil spill, and therefore grip level has reduces, this torque curve would do nothing, to prevent wheel spin, and the car would "skid 7 ways to hell" as someone put it.
So where is the CONTROL element in this setting? Just that the wheels don't spin under some conditions, does not makes it an CONTROL.

well the last time I read rule 9.3. it said OR, which would not require both conditions to be met at the same time. If it does one of the things mentioned, it would be enough to breach 9.3.
But I'm sure you have a different understanding of OR, which is fair enough, and you are entitled to.
I probably have the same definition of the word "OR" as you have. It seems that I falsely assumed that you were refering to the second part, but based on your reaction I now assume that you were refering to the first part, namely: "No car may be equipped with a system or device which is capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power."

Now, since there is no system or device present which is not present on any legal car, we are not talking about a system or device capable of preventing the driven wheels from spinning under power. Thus, I don't think that 9.3 would apply.

Now, I am a bit curious to know your definition of the word CONTROL. It occurs to me that the you can use the word control in both cases, regardless of whether the engineers have programmed a computer to detect an respond to wheel spin in order to prevent excessive wheel spin, or if they have studied the track carefully and tuned the torque demand at the predicted engine speed in order to prevent excessive wheel spin at specific parts of the track. Both approaches is a way to control the torque in order to avoid excessive wheel spin. Of course, I would agree that the former is a more advanced for om traction control, but I can assure you that even with this type of traction control, you may face situations where wheelspinn will occur. A traction control system is set up to be stable in a certain domain. You can tune several different parameters in order to achieve stabilty under certain condition, but not under all conditions.

For example, the team could observe that at a specific high speed corner, the driver can go flat out if they reduce the torque demand around 15k rpm
Now, it becomes interesting. How would they do that? Did you not argued with me, that under you interpretation of 5.5.5. 100% accelerator pedal position would have to correspondent with 100% torque demand at any as long as 100% accelerator pedal position is maintained?
Said in another way, x% accelerator pedal position would correspond to x% torque demand for any x between 0 and 100. With this setup, the only way to achieve 100% torque demand would be to apply 100% accelerator pedal position. It would therefore not be necessary to make the additional requirement that 100% accelerator pedal position must correspond to 100% torque demand. And the same would be true for any monotonically increasing function, linear or non-linear.
Did I understand you wrong or did you changed your mind in the meantime? Nothing wrong with that, just wanted to know.
It seems that you didn't understand the point quite. 100% torque demand is an ambiguous expression which, as it seems, has been interpreted differently by Joe Bauer and the race stewards at Hockenheim. In the end, the race stewards had the final say in which interpretation was the valid one. Their interpretation is as follows: They defined 100% torque demand to be the highest torque demand avilable using the current engine torque demand map. Joe Bauer, on the other hand, refered to the previous race at Silverstone and argued that since the engine was capable of delivering more torque at Silverstone, than it did at 100% accelerator pedal position at Hockenheim, it didn't meet the requirements of 5.5.3. The point where Bauer was mistaken was that 100% torque demand refers to the current engine including it's maping, and not to some theoretical value which would be achievable if the engine maping was different.

strad

How about we get rid of fly by wire and give them a mechanical throttle?? That would do away with all this foolishness. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Hangaku

Stradivarius wrote:You can tune several different parameters in order to achieve stabilty under certain condition, but not under all conditions.
I agree with this. I believe that if you want adaptive traction control (that prevents wheel spin in all conditions), you need to have it working with some form of stability control system (ESP?). Good job we're not talking about that though. Imagine the can of worms? :mrgreen: :lol:
Yer.

raymondu999

But then their feet would become a form of traction management/control! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

strad

Image Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

strad wrote:How about we get rid of fly by wire and give them a mechanical throttle?? That would do away with all this foolishness. :wink:
I think thats what this could lead to.

However the mechanichal solution has one disadvantage, the throttle could get stuck open and for safety thie cant happen. I think whats going to happen is a standardised actuator at the pedal will come into effect with a ring fenced area in the ECU that all engines must respond to for their throttle control with a standardised map there.

Whilst im at it id make it that the engines can only cut themselvs to 4 cylinders when they are at less than 75kph at less than 9,000rpm, meaning that the cars can use this behind a SC or in the pit lane for fuel saving, but no fuel saving should be done this way on track. For most engines it would mean that the cars would have to carry an extra 10kg of fuel just to make it thrugh the race.

As for the exhausts, id make it that they had to come out at a +25 degree incline towards the sky, meaning there would be no aero effect what so ever.

I think there will be a tightening of ECU mapping and exhaust rules for 2013.

simieski
simieski

ESPImperium wrote:
strad wrote:How about we get rid of fly by wire and give them a mechanical throttle?? That would do away with all this foolishness. :wink:
I think thats what this could lead to.

However the mechanichal solution has one disadvantage, the throttle could get stuck open and for safety thie cant happen.
It would be relatively simple to overcome the safety issue of this. A fuel shut off valve could be installed with a teleflex or other mechanical linkage to a lever in the cockpit, pulling the clutch in, or having a brake/accelerator mechanical interlink which would drive accelerator input to idle full max braking force is applied.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

GotNoClueAboutF1Tech
GotNoClueAboutF1Tech

Engine mapping change and its influence to order on the grid

Which teams will loose the most due to the recent change of rules about the engine mapping?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Engine mapping change and its influence to order on the

GotNoClueAboutF1Tech wrote:Which teams will loose the most due to the recent change of rules about the engine mapping?
You would have to assume, given that Red Bull were already caught violating the not-very-"new" rule that they would.

GotNoClueAboutF1Tech
GotNoClueAboutF1Tech

Re: Engine mapping change and its influence to order on the

beelsebob wrote:
GotNoClueAboutF1Tech wrote:Which teams will loose the most due to the recent change of rules about the engine mapping?
You would have to assume, given that Red Bull were already caught violating the not-very-"new" rule that they would.
This is obvious, but apparently they arent the only ones who might be influenced by those changes.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Had a chat with somersF1 on twitter earlier. Red bull will suffer the most and will most likely also revert to their previous spec exhaust, ditching the Helmholtz chambers. It's a guess, but a good one IMO.
Ferrari and McLaren too, have been rumoured to be running aggressive maps, Ferrari have been doing so for some time, and red bull responded with what we have seen recently.
McLaren are a lesser known quantity, but there is little doubt they aren't doing it after Germany, and the raft of exhaust and side pod changes(note the dramatic upswing in performance).

Lotus and Mercedes AMG look to gain from this, as from all reports these have not been relying on aggressive maps.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Red bull will suffer the most and will most likely also revert to their previous spec exhaust, ditching the Helmholtz chambers.
Ditch the Helmholtz? I'd have said them losing the exhaust map would make the Helmholtz far more useful now.
Ferrari and McLaren too, have been rumoured to be running aggressive maps, Ferrari have been doing so for some time, and red bull responded with what we have seen recently.
Now that is very interesting news. I have heard for a while that Ferrari were running some off-throttle, and it was getting more and more aggressive each race, though I didn't really pay attention that much. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Especially interesting is because last year, the Ferrari (other than the Cosworth) was the most rubbish engine in terms of off-throttle mapping.
McLaren are a lesser known quantity, but there is little doubt they aren't doing it after Germany, and the raft of exhaust and side pod changes(note the dramatic upswing in performance).
I'm not sure you can put that down to mapped blowing though. It could very well be just fantastic upgrades or getting the tyres on song. Fuel corrected it looks that Button was as quick on the mediums as he was on the softs, which could point to something in that region (tyres)
Lotus and Mercedes AMG look to gain from this, as from all reports these have not been relying on aggressive maps.
I'd agree with that. And why would they? Their exhausts are quite neutral. They'd be sacrificing power and (maybe) reliability for close to little downforce gain
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

FIA has made a clarification with regards to Red Bulls "curious" engine mapping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18986375
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Cam

But while the FIA intended it to mean that the engine could not deliver less torque than it was ultimately capable of, Red Bull interpreted it to mean it could not deliver less than it was programmed to deliver on that day.
LOL so they were effectively saying, yes, we know it's delivering less, but the engine is also outputting less 'today' hence it's all okay.

Nice.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@raymondu

There are some losses associated with Helmholtz. Using the mapping helps offset some of the loss by increasing rear downforce(through blowing). The FIA have now used stricter wording(no more than 2% tolerance) and this could scupper the whole concept.
I'm not saying they will ditch Helmholtz, I'm saying that with this ruling it makes it more likely we will see them use their older spec exhaust.

Red bull will be the only ones that know the answer to that. They may even run the Helmholtz exhaust this weekend, only to find it isn't worth it, or possibly that there is still mileage in running it. Friday and Saturday will tell all. Expect them to run different iterations exhausts during practice.
More could have been done.
David Purley