Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Afterburner

Re: Ferrari F2012

Holm86 wrote:Ferrari did til the engine in 2010 (i believe it was 2010) back when we had double diffusers. This allowed for a raised floor on the diffuser. I believe it was tilted about 5°.
7º to be more precise.

superdread
superdread

The TV-pods forms in cascade with the middle wing section an effective downforce producing element. The underside is rather smooth and has a clear upwards trend. The upside has the blunt leading edge of the TV-pod in it obstructing the air flow, together with the inward swept profile of the pylons this would create high pressure between the pylons.

Outside the pylons the flow is dictated by the wing elements (directing the flow between the front wheels). I don't think there is much of a vortex effect as it disturbs flow for nothing (the nose structure is too narrow and high to utilize any low pressure and aiming a vortex under the splitter over that distance is not really possible).

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

bhall
bhall

There's localized high pressure in front of the camera pods, behind the wing, but only enough to effectively stall the slight lift caused by the required dimensions of that section. Otherwise, air flow between the wing pylons - again, behind the wing - is accelerated due to the Venturi effect, which creates lower pressure under the nose.

If enough air could be vented through a slot on the underside of the center section, it could energize that flow in much the same way air flow under a wing with a high AoA is energized by air passing through its slots. That might be enough to moot the effects of air flow over that section and enable the removal of the camera pods, which would allow more volume and cleaner flow to the rear of the car.

However, I have no idea where that vented air could be inducted. So, this whole idea is likely just an exercise in futility.

Lurk

Afterburner wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Ferrari did til the engine in 2010 (i believe it was 2010) back when we had double diffusers. This allowed for a raised floor on the diffuser. I believe it was tilted about 5°.
7º to be more precise.
3.5° according formula1.com :mrgreen:
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/0/719.html

Anyway, the angle is not what matters the most for us I think. I have a very small discussion on another forum about all this supposed changes (tilted engine, tank moved back, internal compenents repacked) and we were agreed that, if all these rumors are true, Ferrari:
1/ fully understand their car (which also explain why it performs so well in all weather condition and tyres)
2/ BUT, they are at the end of their development and cannot improve external aero or mechanical grip anymore to be forced to take these kind of risks...

NB: Still, Hungary is the best moment to do it as it is followed by a 1 month break. So it provides some time (even with the factory shutdown) to correct unexpected behaviours if any.

Pierce89

Lurk wrote:
Afterburner wrote:
7º to be more precise.
3.5° according formula1.com :mrgreen:
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/0/719.html

Anyway, the angle is not what matters the most for us I think. I have a very small discussion on another forum about all this supposed changes (tilted engine, tank moved back, internal compenents repacked) and we were agreed that, if all these rumors are true, Ferrari:
1/ fully understand their car (which also explain why it performs so well in all weather condition and tyres)
2/ BUT, they are at the end of their development and cannot improve external aero or mechanical grip anymore to be forced to take these kind of risks...

NB: Still, Hungary is the best moment to do it as it is followed by a 1 month break. So it provides some time (even with the factory shutdown) to correct unexpected behaviours if any.
Not being rude but I don't believe either of those bullet points are true. None of the teams completely understand their car and none of the cars are so optimized so as to have no development potential left. Look at Red Bull same basic ethos since 2009 and still not completely understood and still not so optimized as to have no potential left.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 27 Jul 2012, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

superdread
superdread

Lurk wrote:[

Have you found any advantages for a tilted engine?

Are you allowed to change the tub and the engine during a weekend? If not than you can't test such a change without risk on a race weekend.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Kiril Varbanov

It was 3.5 degrees, both engine and gearbox, in order to create space for the double diffuser setup, as Piola states in his technical analysis for 2010/2011 book.
The Arrows A2 raced practically with no wings, due to the ground effect produced.

Alonso seems pretty happy with the car, at least on the picture above my post :)

wrcsti
wrcsti

bhallg2k wrote:Does this look like a development or is it just a "thing," for lack of a better term?

Here's a wing from Valencia for comparison (a more recent image would be appreciated).
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Image
to me it looks like a reflection of the pit lane lines

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

wrcsti wrote: to me it looks like a reflection of the pit lane lines
And to me it looks like the marks from where it has been lifted by the front jack...

Spankyham

TheWiseOwl wrote:
wrcsti wrote: to me it looks like a reflection of the pit lane lines
And to me it looks like the marks from where it has been lifted by the front jack...
I thought similar, something related to grip/release of front jack ??
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I've never seen this clear plastic jig before, what purpose does it serve?

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Presumably it checks that the driver's head is below the line joining the front and rear roll protection structures (the front one is that little "shark fin" in front of the cockpit).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

.poz
.poz

What is this ? Small hole/duct ?