Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

Goran2812 wrote:what the hell... never mind if the car is going downhill or not, that is a huge amount of rake when you compare the edge of the diffuser to the tires... o.O
but because it is going downhill the whole car pivots around the rear wheels...the car in front of the rear wheels goes lower bringing the rear wing, diffuser etc higher up!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

amouzouris

both cars ran the old FW in FP2

Goran2812
Goran2812

obviously I haven't seen a lot of rear ends lately... :D
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Forza

Some images of FW

Some flow vis images

superdread
superdread

Goran2812 wrote:what the hell... never mind if the car is going downhill or not, that is a huge amount of rake when you compare the edge of the diffuser to the tires... o.O
I think that the car is currently breaking (breaking momentum brings rear up and lower speed reduces downforce, as does throttle at 0%) as well as turning in (car is not parallel to tarmac).

Also I'm not quite sure just how much ride height difference is caused by downforce (or fuel weight), or if they implemented systems to compensate (some were proposed especially for the fuel weight but as far as I know there is no legal way, movable aero and all that). Does anyone have info on that?

wesley123
wesley123

So where is this tilted gearbox/engine thingy?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Forza

wesley123@ I didn't hear much after FP about it so I presume they don't have any issues with it or we will hear about it tomorrow before Fp3/Q.

I found another photo of Kiel probes on Massa's F2012

edit
Last edited by Forza on 27 Jul 2012, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

Forza wrote:wesley123@ I didn't hear much after FP about it so I presume they don't have any issues with it or we will hear about it tomorrow before Fp3/Q.

I found another photo of sensors array on Massa's F2012
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2130 ... 560811.jpg
actually those are not the sensors...those are the pitot tubes...which as their name suggests are just tubes.. each metal tube is connected to its own plastic flexi tube and then each individual tube is connected to a sensor inside the car's sidepods...the data is then transmitted to the team via the radio comm.

EDIT: for further info...the sensors measure stagnation pressure as the tube is closed and the air cannot flow it stagnates..and they also measure the static pressure which is a second hole around the tube:
stagnation pressure is equal to the static pressure + dynamic pressure
the higher the speed the higher the dynamic pressure
so... stagnation pressure=static pressure + dynamic pressure
this can also be written as follows:
Pt=Ps + (ρV^2/2)

where Pt is the stagnation pressure and Ps is the static pressure. ρ is the density of the fluid.

to solve this and find the air speed you would use
V= √[2(Pt-Ps)/ρ]

sorry for the long post
Last edited by amouzouris on 27 Jul 2012, 18:08, edited 3 times in total.

superdread
superdread

wesley123 wrote:So where is this tilted gearbox/engine thingy?
The lower rear end (diffuser, wishbones, crash structure, drive shafts...) looks the same as in germany. I'm pretty sure they don't have a tilted engine.

Also that they never will (in this season), as we have yet to hear any clear advantages for it (ones that aren't illegal, I might add).
amouzouris wrote:actually those are not the sensors...those are the pitot tubes...which as their name suggests are just tubes.. each metal tube is connected to its own plastic flexi tube and then each individual tube is connected to a sensor inside the car's sidepods...the data is then transmitted to the team via the radio comm.
Technically there are two tubes to each Pitot sensor arrangement, as they measure overall pressure (the inlet pointing into the flow) and the static pressure (little holes on top, perpendicular to flow). The difference is the dynamic pressure (depth pressure can be neglected) which is proportional to velocity squared. (This would demand that the flow is laminar, but for predictable degrees of turbulence you could compensate, especially if you have CFD simulations to compare.)

amouzouris

superdread wrote:
wesley123 wrote:So where is this tilted gearbox/engine thingy?
The lower rear end (diffuser, wishbones, crash structure, drive shafts...) looks the same as in germany. I'm pretty sure they don't have a tilted engine.

Also that they never will (in this season), as we have yet to hear any clear advantages for it (ones that aren't illegal, I might add).
amouzouris wrote:actually those are not the sensors...those are the pitot tubes...which as their name suggests are just tubes.. each metal tube is connected to its own plastic flexi tube and then each individual tube is connected to a sensor inside the car's sidepods...the data is then transmitted to the team via the radio comm.
Technically there are two tubes to each Pitot sensor arrangement, as they measure overall pressure (the inlet pointing into the flow) and the static pressure (little holes on top, perpendicular to flow). The difference is the dynamic pressure (depth pressure can be neglected) which is proportional to velocity squared. (This would demand that the flow is laminar, but for predictable degrees of turbulence you could compensate, especially if you have CFD simulations to compare.)
yes you are right!! i fixed my original post for further info

Forza

You are correct, Kiel probes in fact. I'm familiar with their function but I was probably using wrong term as english is not native to me. I edited the first post.
If I compare with FI close up picture http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1789/d12gbr755.jpg

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bhall
bhall

Neno wrote:
Forza wrote:Not representative but here you can see the amount of rake form angle of skid plank
http://www.formula1.com/wi/sutton/2012/d12hun344.jpg
this is whole new lvl of rake in F1 :o
It's also an excellent demonstration of the illusory effects of heat haze. :wink:

EDIT: Unrelated: the vortex generators on the barge boards have been altered.

joeyg02

amouzouris wrote:both cars ran the old FW in FP2
Take a look at the pictures with the flo-vis right under your post. It shows the new FW being used in FP. I personally watched it on TV and could see the ferrari's were running the new FW in FP2.
Drafting & Design Engineer - I crave information & live in a never ending quest for answers to whatever piques my curiosity.

Joey Griffin - Owner - JG GraphX.
Lifelong Motorsport Fan from Southern Georgia, United States.