Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gato azul
gato azul

Re: Ferrari F2012

amouzouris wrote: PITOT Tube
not wanting to nick pick on your good post and explanation, but to be "technical" (as in the title of the forum) correct, the picture/diagram you posted is a "Pitot-Static Tube", also known as a "Prandtl -Tube".
A normal/classic Pitot tube would only measure the Stagnation pressure/Total pressure, which in the Aviation world is also referred to as Pitot Pressure.

alogoc
alogoc

any one has a link for FP2 download please!?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Huntresa
Huntresa

alogoc wrote:any one has a link for FP2 download please!?

idiot
idiot

2 Things on my mind about ferrari on Hungary
1.Tilted engine+gearbox or not
2.Does new FW works fine??

1-->I think we will never know..It seems impossible from my point of view to understand that by wathing and comparing back to back germany diffuser distance to the ground vs Hungary diffuser distance..I mean how much higher,could a tilted engine+gearbox make the diffuser look??1cm??1,5 cm??really diffucult to observe that in pictures..But really the new chassis adopted on F2012 in hungary make suspicius that they did tilt engine..Why did they have to change chassis anyway if thay hadnt a reasson like engine tilting..btw the distance between diffuser and ground really seems "big"
2-->I think new FW has to do with the "max speed" issue ferrari has..I dont think it will be used here..I give a lot of chances to see that FW beeing used on SPA/MONZA..
I Guess we will never know about "tilting"(to big secret for others to let them know) and about FW time will tell..

superdread
superdread

idiot wrote:2 Things on my mind about ferrari on Hungary
1.Tilted engine+gearbox or not
2.Does new FW works fine??

2-->I think new FW has to do with the "max speed" issue ferrari has..I dont think it will be used here..I give a lot of chances to see that FW beeing used on SPA/MONZA..
I Guess we will never know about "tilting"(to big secret for others to let them know) and about FW time will tell..
1. A tilted engine would not change the rule, that the floor has to be plane and that diffuser height is measured from this plane. So a tilted engine would not make the diffuser higher (from the floor). The thing above the diffuser is the rear crash structure (that already has a lot of air beneath it) and they would change that for a tilted engine to not interfere with the beam wing.

The biggest give-away would be a different suspension geometry and a new gearbox (with a lower differential to make it inline with the wheels). Well, unless they tilt it only a small amount.

There are reasons to make a new chassis like: different carbon fiber process (fibers, resins, tempering, weave...) or reorganisation of the innards.

bhall
bhall

With regard to the new front wing, I'm not sure its intent is to increase top speed. A front wing has very little bearing on top speed in and of itself, because the principle sources of drag on any F1 car are the wheels and the rear wing. The caveat to that comes in the form the of the front wing's role in shaping air flow all around the car. To that end, maybe it does have something to do with top speed.

Due to the emphasis the team is placing on investigating air flow at the front of the side pods, I personally think the revised wing flap is a solution to whatever is going on in that area. I think the reason why we have yet to see it employed during a race is because it seems to have the potential to interact poorly with the new scoopless brake ducts.

idiot
idiot

Thanks for making clear what "tilting" is about..So tilt would also make a larger(on height) diffuser??diffuser it self looks the same as Germany..thank u anyways

bhall
bhall

The dimensions of the diffuser are limited by the regulations. Tilting the engine/gearbox can't change that.

idiot
idiot

bhallg2k wrote:The dimensions of the diffuser are limited by the regulations. Tilting the engine/gearbox can't change that.
nice info..thanks for letting me know

PlatinumZealot

idiot wrote:Thanks for making clear what "tilting" is about..So tilt would also make a larger(on height) diffuser??diffuser it self looks the same as Germany..thank u anyways
It is not necessary to tilt the engine anymore, because double diffusers are banned. Back in 2009/2010. it was a slight CoG penalty for the ability to increase the size of your double diffuser. No need to do that any more especially when your fuel tank needs some space.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

superdread
superdread

n smikle wrote:
idiot wrote:Thanks for making clear what "tilting" is about..So tilt would also make a larger(on height) diffuser??diffuser it self looks the same as Germany..thank u anyways
It is not necessary to tilt the engine anymore, because double diffusers are banned. Back in 2009/2010. it was a slight CoG penalty for the ability to increase the size of your double diffuser. No need to do that any more especially when your fuel tank needs some space.
It's remarkable how the argument about tilting comes back again and again, but no (legal) advantage is brought forward.

markp
markp

Amazing how this year more than others people jump on the smallest rumours from tunnels to step nose changes. Knowone has put forward a benefit of tilting the engine under current rules only negatives are obvious. Unless poor translation in that more rake means engine is tilted more in relationship to the road surface and not the floor.

Anyone list the detail changes seen thus far this weekend on the car?

smhasan7
smhasan7

Anyone list the detail changes seen thus far this weekend on the car? Also what's the update on the new FW, will it be used this race?

amouzouris

gato azul wrote:
amouzouris wrote: PITOT Tube
not wanting to nick pick on your good post and explanation, but to be "technical" (as in the title of the forum) correct, the picture/diagram you posted is a "Pitot-Static Tube", also known as a "Prandtl -Tube".
A normal/classic Pitot tube would only measure the Stagnation pressure/Total pressure, which in the Aviation world is also referred to as Pitot Pressure.
yes...my bad...i should have said that!

Teechnical

smhasan7 wrote:Anyone list the detail changes seen thus far this weekend on the car? Also what's the update on the new FW, will it be used this race?
I think the only change was the front wing.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.