COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

thearmofbarlow wrote:BTW, local custom regarding Nomex consumption is diced then topped with a Shiner Bock beer base chili, top with queso fresco, and served with a cold bottle of Shiner on the side.
Uh, no Tequila?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

You're gonna need a few shots of Patron or Cuervo to get ready for the Nomex.
I'm really bummed now that I won't be going. I think the track is going to be great and it certainly appears that part will be finished and ready to go. The bus trip in and out may prove tortuous ..but worth it...I tend to get pissy if I have to battle too many idiots so it may actually be for the best for personality types like me. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

xpensive
xpensive

I agree, while I have to admit that the track will most probably be outright spectacular when finished, most arrangements around it sees to more or less half-arsed, with not much planning whatsoever. Tilke didn't supply that service I guess?

As for the Tequila, Gammeldansk usually gets me in the mood for the most outrageous of activities, but so does Sauza?

strad

Sauza works..I had to look up Gammeldansk...If it kills the taste of the Nomex,,go for it.
Hell they may make a final push and have it all spiffy....Well, except for the wall,,which I still don't mind, but doesn't sit well with those less aesthetically challenged as me. They still have time.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:
thearmofbarlow wrote:BTW, local custom regarding Nomex consumption is diced then topped with a Shiner Bock beer base chili, top with queso fresco, and served with a cold bottle of Shiner on the side.
Uh, no Tequila?
Not with Nomex so much. Cotton or poly blends yes, but not Nomex.

xpensive
xpensive

I read that Nomex is soluble in ethanol, if it's above 150 proof, why I wonder if anyone has connections with a local 'shiner?

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:I read that Nomex is soluble in ethanol, if it's above 150 proof, why I wonder if anyone has connections with a local 'shiner?
:roll:

Pup
Pup

Nice collection of new construction photos over at Austin Grand Prix...

http://www.theaustingrandprix.com/galle ... -americas/

donskar
donskar

Since you guys are into "food and drink"(?) . . .

If you go to the race I can highly recommend two Austin restaurants, Magnolia Cafe and Threadgills. Check Food TV's "Diners Drive-ins and Dives" for other good Austin restaurants. East of Austin on 290, Elgin has a couple of superior barbecues, Southside Market is my favorite; Meyer's Elgin Smokehouse also very good. South of Elgin on rte 21 is Bastrop and "The Roadhouse" for excellent burgers.

Texas-brewed potables: Fireman's 4 is excellent; Shiner is a Texas legend; Ziegenbock is also good. Hard stuff? Vodka drinkers tell me "Tito's Handmade Vodka" is excellent. It's made in Austin.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

FW17

Was going through some circuit layouts and saw this Croatia proposal. Austin could have looked like this without the hairpins i guess.

Pup
Pup

I think we had a thread about it when it first came out, but I haven't heard anything since.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that these two designs came out within 6 months of one another.

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:I think we had a thread about it when it first came out, but I haven't heard anything since.

Yeah, it's a bit odd that these two designs came out within 6 months of one another.
Can't wait to learn which one was first?

Richard
Richard

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tilke did design both, it's entirely plausible that his thinking was roughly "only one of these will get in, so I can happily use essentially the same design"

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

beelsebob wrote:Tilke did design both, it's entirely plausible that his thinking was roughly "only one of these will get in, so I can happily use essentially the same design"
Tilke didn't design the CotA layout.