Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

superdread wrote:
alogoc wrote:
Teechnical wrote:Unless it brings the car 0.2-0.3 seconds, it's not very important.
Ferrari thinks it will bring Massa to victories!also part of next big upgrade is the DRS!
Then, please, elaborate on how a tilted engine would bring any performance gain.
I DON'T KNOW! I never said it will help,just that it will happen!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

wesley123
wesley123

Sure seems logical, an update that brings a performance deficit and has no possible gains at all
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jackuar

kebab wrote:Ferraris was on used tires which went thru Q2 then the times weren't bad actually.
If I understand right, they used tires used in Q2 for Q3 also? If yes, then I have a question... (It might sound naive)

Why not use a fresh set of Q3 and post a better time in Q3 and a start better position? I understand that they'll have to use the same tires to start tomorrow but isn't using 4-lap-used tires and starting P2/3 better than starting P6 with fresh tires? Especially in a circuit where qualifying position matters more where overtaking is not easy?
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

superdread
superdread

Jackuar wrote:If I understand right, they used tires used in Q2 for Q3 also? If yes, then I have a question... (It might sound naive)

Why not use a fresh set of Q3 and post a better time in Q3 and a start better position? I understand that they'll have to use the same tires to start tomorrow but isn't using 4-lap-used tires and starting P2/3 better than starting P6 with fresh tires? Especially in a circuit where qualifying position matters more where overtaking is not easy?
Maybe their reasoning is that, as tire wear is especially high this weekend, the lap time drop over a stint is higher so, starting on fresh tires they can have enough advantage at the end of the first stint to pit themselves to P1 (staying out a bit longer, posting fast times, hoping to be fast enough to still be P1 after pitting).

Goran2812
Goran2812

hm, but as I understand rain is 100% certain tomorrow... if they get a wet start, and no chance to use the dry tires, than everything goes to h*ll...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

alogoc
alogoc

Goran2812 wrote:hm, but as I understand rain is 100% certain tomorrow... if they get a wet start, and no chance to use the dry tires, than everything goes to h*ll...

nemoj vjerovat našim komentatorima! kiša MOŽDA pred sam kraj!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

http://www.accuweather.com/en/hu/budape ... 23?hour=33

prediction for tomorrow says that it will rain at 1pm local time...and the race starts at 2pm which is predicted only cloudy..

bhall
bhall

Goran2812 wrote:hm, but as I understand rain is 100% certain tomorrow... if they get a wet start, and no chance to use the dry tires, than everything goes to h*ll...
Why's that?

Due to the low-speed traction demands of the Hungaroring, this was never going to be a flattering race for the F2012. Given that and the weather forecast for tomorrow, I feel pretty comfortable with the assumption that the cars are set up with at least a bias toward wet weather. If it rains, we know the Ferrari will shine.

However, if it doesn't rain, the team will have more fresh tires to perhaps mitigate the effects of a compromised setup. That's great strategy if you ask me.

This is the type of gamble a team can make when there's zero possibility of leaving the race anywhere other than 1st in the drivers' standings.

smhasan7
smhasan7

bhallg2k wrote:
Why's that?

Due to the low-speed traction demands of the Hungaroring, this was never going to be a flattering race for the F2012. Given that and the weather forecast for tomorrow, I feel pretty comfortable with the assumption that the cars are set up with at least a bias toward wet weather. If it rains, we know the Ferrari will shine.

However, if it doesn't rain, the team will have more fresh tires to perhaps mitigate the effects of a compromised setup. That's great strategy if you ask me.

This is the type of gamble a team can make when there's zero possibility of leaving the race anywhere other than 1st in the drivers' standings.
+1. By the way, I was wondering like crazy why both our cars were 3 tenths off of their Q2 times, it's only here in the forum that I discovered that the runs were on used rubber. Great strategy for tomorrow, rain or no rain, we should be good. Love Fernando's modesty during the interviews today.

superdread
superdread

Wether the strategy works out depends on how good the people in front of them drive, if any of them has problem and slows they will lose time on the lead, easily enough to spoil their tactic:
They can prolong their first stint at most 2 laps (because the others will have their tires at full speed and catch up), and the time gained in 2 laps is not much. Although it would suffice if they pit into 2nd and try to get first in the second stop, if they don't they are stuck behind someone and have to hope on the end-game (which using a worse setup...).

Unless it rains it looks pretty grim, Hamilton will drive like hell from the start to open up a lead on Grosjean (who has nobody to run into).
But hey, anything might happen (maybe they can tilt the engine under parc ferme, and paint some flames and lightnings on it, or soak the engine in leopard blood...).

Pierce89

alogoc wrote:

nemoj vjerovat našim komentatorima! kiša MOŽDA pred sam kraj!
There are separate threads for people that aren't posting in English.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

alogoc wrote:
superdread wrote:
Joie de vivre wrote:and why is that?
So that certain people will stop talking about it.
it will happen very soon!

it was tested in Idiada by Gene!
How can you test a change "supposedly" designed to help low fuel balance in a sraight line aero test?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

techF1LES

bhall
bhall

Pierce89 wrote:
alogoc wrote:it will happen very soon!

How can you test a change "supposedly" designed to help low fuel balance in a sraight line aero test?
Sounds like something Mercedes would do.

zyphro
zyphro

bhallg2k wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
alogoc wrote:it will happen very soon!

Sounds like something Mercedes would do.
:lol: