COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

thearmofbarlow wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Tilke did design both, it's entirely plausible that his thinking was roughly "only one of these will get in, so I can happily use essentially the same design"
Tilke didn't design the CotA layout.
Why does he claim he did then?
http://www.tilke.de/en/3_0/3_4.php?cate ... id=2180-01

Pup
Pup

Well, if you believe Tavo, the design was tatooed on his heiney from birth. I suspect the reality is somewhere in between.

My uneducated guess on the Croatia layout is that they wanted something quick for fundraising purposes and the available land was roughly the same shape as CotA, so Tilke just adapted the design to fit.

There was also talk that CotA rejected Tilke's first design, so perhaps this is the original plan for Austin. I suppose there's a half-dozen other theories we could come up with as well.

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:Well, if you believe Tavo, the design was tatooed on his heiney from birth. I suspect the reality is somewhere in between.
Somewhere in between Tavo's heiney, I'm not sure if I can follow you all the way there Pup?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

Is there a elevator to the top?

Pup
Pup

There's supposed to be one in the center of the stair.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

beelsebob wrote:
thearmofbarlow wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Tilke did design both, it's entirely plausible that his thinking was roughly "only one of these will get in, so I can happily use essentially the same design"
Tilke didn't design the CotA layout.
Why does he claim he did then?
http://www.tilke.de/en/3_0/3_4.php?cate ... id=2180-01
There's more to racetrack design than twists and turns. Hellmund primarily designed the layout with the help of Kevin Schwantz but Tilke's group is responsible for making it happen and designing everything around the tarmac. Like, you know, buildings.

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is there a elevator to the top?
There would have to be an elevator or a very long ramp. Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.

Pup
Pup

There's a 5k (+) planned a few weekends before, so for $50 you can run the track if you're so inclined...

http://site.runtex.com/

Richard
Richard

$50 ??? That'd normally be a charity thing over here.

Pup
Pup

Used to be that way here too and mostly still is. But now there are also companies that make money organizing races. A lot of runners here can't get enough competitions, so there's a market. And then there's the experience crowd who want to do a race in this city or that. I've a buddy like that.

Of course, if you want an up close view of the track, thats probably not a bad way.

Me, I'll take a nice run in the woods with the dog instead, thank you very much. Save the $50 for a new pair of shoes.

strad

Run???
HAHAHAHAHA No...I won't be running. I have a couple of friends that try to run in every marathon on the country,that and something about skiing all the best places.
A leisurely walk around the track might be nice but being American I'd prefer something motorized. ;)
Of course I guess that would wind up in a race huh?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

- Hellmund & Schwantz created the layout of the track and worked closely with Tilke architects in design specifics of turns combinations, camber, etc. It's no different than designing the floorplan for your new house in some detail and then hiring and working with an experienced, specialized architect to create detailed plans.

- Re: Tower: I still don't know what it's there for either. Nobody else seems to either. Awfully expensive for a giant tripod, and doesn't add a thing aesthetically. BTW, re: the tower elevator...how will they go back and retrofit it? Any ideas? Looks difficult, but I really don't know one way or the other.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote: ...
Me, I'll take a nice run in the woods with the dog instead, thank you very much. Save the $50 for a new pair of shoes.
50 bucks, I take it those are not Crocket & Jones?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FW17

Miró Rivera Architects No worries; the elevator core will be poured after the steel is in place.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=67d ... e1cffbde65

Hail22

WilliamsF1 wrote:Is there a elevator to the top?

I would love to do some time trials on those stairs, fantastic workout!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve