COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

FW17

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

They could make it a bungee platform on race weekend

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

hairy_scotsman wrote: - Re: Tower: I still don't know what it's there for either. Nobody else seems to either. Awfully expensive for a giant tripod, and doesn't add a thing aesthetically. BTW, re: the tower elevator...how will they go back and retrofit it? Any ideas? Looks difficult, but I really don't know one way or the other.
It'll be the tallest thing for miles and give both killer views AND expensive-ass seats. I know I'd like some seats where I could see everything, even if it was from 150 feet up. Or however tall it is.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

thearmofbarlow wrote:It'll be the tallest thing for miles and give both killer views AND expensive-ass seats. I know I'd like some seats where I could see everything, even if it was from 150 feet up. Or however tall it is.
22 stories.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

General admission is officially sold out now, and grandstand seating has dwindled to about 1500 seats or so. Looks like a sellout. It does look like there are some pretty good options in the remaining few seats, though.

strad

BRAVO!! =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:General admission is officially sold out now, and grandstand seating has dwindled to about 1500 seats or so. Looks like a sellout. It does look like there are some pretty good options in the remaining few seats, though.
By GS seating, you mean non-PSL seating, right? PSL seats are nowhere near sold out. So are you calling it a sellout if GA & GS seats sell out while select seating is mostly unsold?

Re: the GS seats being almost "sold out", it's doubtful they're nearly all sold either. They'll just add more sections once these are sold. They "sold out" & added more a few times already

Pup
Pup

Whatever. I won't argue your point. To me, it's significant enough that they've sold out the general admission, which many argued was overpriced, went on sale too late, was too restricted, etc. Seems they could have charged more. The same goes for the grandstands. I know of only one area where they could add a significant section of seating, and its far from a negative if they do so.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:Whatever. I won't argue your point. To me, it's significant enough that they've sold out the general admission, which many argued was overpriced, went on sale too late, was too restricted, etc. Seems they could have charged more. The same goes for the grandstands. I know of only one area where they could add a significant section of seating, and its far from a negative if they do so.
OK. I wondered when that would be edited from just "Whatever".

I just asked a question. Not sure what the problem is. My post was no indictment of the method (opening up sections as seating demand dictates), and I have no doubt there will be a huge crowd at the first GP here.

xpensive
xpensive

Where is this "almost sold-out" info coming from anyway, if it's from Cota themselves it doesn't mean much, does it?

Just the usual sales-pitch if you ask me.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:Where is this "almost sold-out" info coming from anyway, if it's from Cota themselves it doesn't mean much, does it?

Just the usual sales-pitch if you ask me.
So in order to sell more tickets they say they're sold out of tickets.

I see what you're getting at but really... come on.

xpensive
xpensive

That's it, tickets are either "almost sold out, hurry to buy, they might be gone tomorrow, see how popular this is?",
or they are "Sorry folks, all gone...but wait, look at this, I just found room for a few arses more!"

i lived in the US you know, not that the pitch is much different here in all honesty.
Last edited by xpensive on 01 Aug 2012, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

Well, we are in the middle of a hellacious drought, and the general admission "seats" are furnished by way of grass. So, I can understand the uncertainty.

(By the way, I have no idea if I'm being an asshole or providing insight. Such is the nature of the lines here.)

Pup
Pup

Ticketmaster has seating charts showing available seats. You can count the remaining seats yourself if you're so inclined. General admission is sold out completely. If they add another grandstand, it will have to be in place of either the food and beverage tents by the final turns, or in place of some temporary 'golf' suites - either in the infield or at turn 1, assuming those haven't been sold. They already eliminated some of them to add the stands along the esses and the hairpin. I doubt if they could add any general admission seating unless they opened up the infield. Then there's the issue with permits and capacity. I think they said a few weeks ago that they were at 100k people and if I remember right, the facility has permits for 125k.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:If they add another grandstand, it will have to be in place of either the food and beverage tents by the final turns, or in place of some temporary 'golf' suites - either in the infield or at turn 1, assuming those haven't been sold.
They don't have to add GSs to add capacity. They can simply open/add new sections to existing GSs, as they've already done several times, as recently as this week. They've also already converted GSs previously designated as Trackside Hospitality. It wouldn't be a surprise to see that again in one or more of the three remaining hospitality areas. On TM, there's a greyed-out GS at Turn 18, and many renderings show a GS between T12 & 13. Don't be shocked if these also become available later. I'm not trying to be argumentative with you here. Hope this helps.

We can't see how many GS tickets have been sold. Via TicketMaster we can see how many non-PSL GS tickets are currently available, but the size of the ticket pool has changed repeatedly over the weeks since sales started.
I think they said a few weeks ago that they were at 100k people
Not saying you're wrong, but I never heard about that. They did tweet recently that their capacity is 100K. Not sure why.

Will Garside ‏@FirstClassF1
@circuitamericas What capacity does the circuit have?

23 Jul Circuit of Americas ‏@circuitamericas
@FirstClassF1 We're looking at a capacity of one hundred thousand with the use of permanent and temporary seating facilities!

xpensive
xpensive

Come November, I suspect there will be one or two frustrated scalpers around the Austin area