COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

bhallg2k wrote:If you don't have a sense of humor about this whole thing after 184 pages of wide-ranging nonsense one way or the other and then some, I just don't know what to tell you. But, I would advise you to avoid my posts, because you're probably not going to like them at all.
I called you a toolbox. Lighten up. \:D/

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

bhallg2k wrote:The 2012 United States Formula One Grand Prix, not brought to you by Garmin. Or Magellan. Or Tom Tom.
Or anyone else, for that matter.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

New COTA email making the rounds. Looks like big discounts on Turn 1.
Good Evening!

After months of fan feedback, the Circuit of the Americas has made an adjustment to the guaranteed seating in the elevated Turn 1. If you would like to watch the Formula 1 Grand Prix at 133’ above the rest of the facility, you can now guarantee license your seat for $1,000 one-time and $375 for the season ticket.

Turn 1 view:
[images removed]

Seat Amenities:

--Full seatback (more comfortable)

--Guaranteed seating in seats that you select (aisle, elevation preference, etc.)

--Premium view/sight line in the best real estate in our facility

--Club/Lounge access in Main Grandstand

--VIP Parking option

--Includes Practice, Qualifying, and Main Event for Formula 1 and V8 Supercars as bonus track event (Spring 2013).

--Priority capability for driving experiences, training schools, or pit paddock access

These are newly released pricing grandstands that are good for either corporate entertainment or personal use. Let me know if this new grandstand is for you!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Pup wrote:Paving on the front straight...
They should just leave it like that since there's practically only one racing line anyways due to the marbles. :lol:
:costcutting:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

xpensive
xpensive

hairy_scotsman wrote:New COTA email making the rounds. Looks like big discounts on Turn 1.
Good Evening!

After months of fan feedback, the Circuit of the Americas has made an adjustment to the guaranteed seating in the elevated Turn 1. If you would like to watch the Formula 1 Grand Prix at 133’ above the rest of the facility, you can now guarantee license your seat for $1,000 one-time and $375 for the season ticket.
Oh my, most generous of Cota to give a discount at this particular vantage point, when everything else is already sold-out?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

strad

Well...Whatever..I think it's lookin pretty damn nice..I'm sure there will be complaints,,Hell I'm sure I would find stuff to pick at, but overall I think the track itself looks to be far more interesting and hopefully challenging than many in recent memory and one hell of a lot better than that bastardisation done at Indy. Will the stands, weather, size of the tacos,whatever please everyone? I seriously doubt it,but this dude is getting stoked.
I don't understand the arguement over uphill downhill...Hell I'm tickled pink there is uphill and downhill. And I sure don't care if I can't see the whole track from one spot
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

mx_tifoso wrote:
They should just leave it like that since there's practically only one racing line anyways due to the marbles. :lol:
Image Image Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

strad wrote:
mx_tifoso wrote:
Image Image Image
anyway they will still need a runoff a mile wide

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:I don't understand the arguement over uphill downhill...Hell I'm tickled pink there is uphill and downhill. And I sure don't care if I can't see the whole track from one spot
No doubt the track will be fantastic. Hellmund & Schwantz made sure of that. As for the uphill or downhill GA viewing, the problem at that spot is that being steeply downhill from the track will severely limit the view of the track. As far as I know this is the only GA spot with that problem.
bhallg2k wrote:Man, that's a vicious downhill turn into the first corner.
Ha! I see what you did there. I think. ; )

Pup
Pup

xpensive wrote:Oh my, most generous of Cota to give a discount at this particular vantage point, when everything else is already sold-out?
I'm not sure of how generous they're being - the T1 grandstand is awkwardly angled due to the slope (down) and its always looked to me like there are seats in the lower sections where it would be impossible to see T1 at all...

Elsewhere, the guy who made the video I posted earlier said that CotA told him they were going to eliminate the lower two sections for that very reason. So perhaps they've instead decided to sell those off at a cut rate. He was going to inquire about the new seating since it's the same price as what he bought at turn 15 to see if he wanted to switch. So maybe he'll post back and let us in on what exactly they've done with the seating.

xpensive
xpensive

If it wasn't for the threat of having to digest all that Nomex in public, I would get my tush over there to find out for myself!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Took some new photos yesterday. In the final 2 or 3 shots shown here I'm standing on Mr. Haywood's property about 20 feet above the bottom of the GA area. The surrounding hills are off COTA property:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Here's today's COTA shot of front-straight paving:

Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 03 Aug 2012, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote: Here's today's COTA shot of front-straight paving:

That grand stand looks perfect

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Statesman: No camping or Pedestrian Access for USGP:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... 28175.html

Circuit of the Americas near Austin has no plans to offer tent camping but is flexible, spokeswoman Ali Putnam said.