Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
alogoc
alogoc

Re: Ferrari F2012

OK i will stop! :D
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Nando
Nando

superdread wrote:
Nando wrote:Does the engine lay flat on the floor?
There is a lower CoG limit for the engine itself and to get lowest CoG for the installed engine you wold have to lay it flat on the floor. Also, as it is denser than about anything, it takes precedence over other subsystems, like electronics, in terms on placement.

To cut it short: It should and it does.
Ok so the engine is already tilted a few degrees depending on the rake of the car?

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

superdread
superdread

Nando wrote:
superdread wrote:
Nando wrote:Does the engine lay flat on the floor?
There is a lower CoG limit for the engine itself and to get lowest CoG for the installed engine you wold have to lay it flat on the floor. Also, as it is denser than about anything, it takes precedence over other subsystems, like electronics, in terms on placement.

To cut it short: It should and it does.
Ok so the engine is already tilted a few degrees depending on the rake of the car?
Oh no, you will not warm this topic up again. (even if unintended)
When we refer to tilt it is relative to the reference plane of the car. With zero tilt the engine has the same angle to the ground as the floor. Concerning rake that makes the angle between engine and ground unequal zero so you are right.

But this does not change a thing on all the argument brought forward and all the "arguments" debunked or any point of the discussion so far.

.poz
.poz

superdread wrote: Are teams allowed to run a pressurized water cycle, to raise boiling temperature?
7.5 Coolant header tank:
The coolant header tank on the car must be fitted with an FIA approved pressure relief valve which is set to a maximum of 3.75 bar gauge pressure, details of the relief valve may be found in the Appendix to these regulations. If the car is not fitted with a header tank, an alternative position must be approved by the FIA.

Nando
Nando

superdread wrote:Oh no, you will not warm this topic up again. (even if unintended)
When we refer to tilt it is relative to the reference plane of the car. With zero tilt the engine has the same angle to the ground as the floor. Concerning rake that makes the angle between engine and ground unequal zero so you are right.

But this does not change a thing on all the argument brought forward and all the "arguments" debunked or any point of the discussion so far.
Ok so the engine is already running tilted because of the rake.
Do you know how many degrees the engine can be tilted without any modifications?

I´m not trying to open a pandora´s box here, just asking questions for myself, and not asking about the rumored engine-tilt.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

They had the engine tilted in one of the previous cars (can't remember which year though), but it was under different tech regulations and different concept of the car itself.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Coefficient
Coefficient

Dragonfly wrote:They had the engine tilted in one of the previous cars (can't remember which year though), but it was under different tech regulations and different concept of the car itself.
Yeah, I think it was the F60 or the F10. I remember the article in autosport but it was only angled by a midge's!
Last edited by Coefficient on 07 Aug 2012, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

superdread
superdread

Nando wrote: Ok so the engine is already running tilted because of the rake.
Do you know how many degrees the engine can be tilted without any modifications?

I´m not trying to open a pandora´s box here, just asking questions for myself, and not asking about the rumored engine-tilt.
All right then. With rake there are no real limitations (problem is getting the diffuser to work).
I'm not aware on any particular rules concerning tilting (maybe the bodywork height limit of 65cm in front of the rear wing, which would mean a whole lot of rake).
Dragonfly wrote:They had the engine tilted in one of the previous cars (can't remember which year though), but it was under different tech regulations and different concept of the car itself.
That was 2009 for the Double Decker Diffusers.

f1316
f1316

Probably just a ridiculously coincidental observation, but I noticed Fry saying their updates for Spa were "interesting"; this is the same language used by Lotus before introducing their DDRS. Could even be mind games on the part of Ferrari, but equally if they did put any resource into looking at the system once it was deemed legal, this would be the time to roll it out.

Coefficient
Coefficient

superdread wrote:
Nando wrote: Ok so the engine is already running tilted because of the rake.

All right then. With rake there are no real limitations (problem is getting the diffuser to work).
I'm not aware on any particular rules concerning tilting (maybe the bodywork height limit of 65cm in front of the rear wing, which would mean a whole lot of rake).
That was 2009 for the Double Decker Diffusers.
That's not the case. The car started the season with the angled engine installation but was not designed to have a Double Diffuser. Ferrari only added a double diffuser several races into the season after their protests over Brawn/Williams/Toyota didn't bear any fruit. The angled engine was part of the original design and was intended to maximse the volume of the single diffusor. It also made it difficult to introduce a double diffuser as the engine and acilliary layout made it difficult to squeeze the extra diffusor deck in which is why their's was not too effective.

amouzouris

The car with the tilted engine was the F10...they tilted it to make more room for the DDD...
Edit: NOT THE F60

superdread
superdread

That's not the case. The car started the season with the angled engine installation but was not designed to have a Double Diffuser. Ferrari only added a double diffuser several races into the season after their protests over Brawn/Williams/Toyota didn't bear any fruit. The angled engine was part of the original design and was intended to maximse the volume of the single diffusor. It also made it difficult to introduce a double diffuser as the engine and acilliary layout made it difficult to squeeze the extra diffusor deck in which is why their's was not too effective.[/quote]

But the single deck diffusers had the same limitations as now? So there would be no need to tilt the engine.

alogoc
alogoc

It seems that the car tested in Idiada was running extreme rake,because of a major suspension tweek so it could well be the reason of tilted engine rumor start!
THE F2012!

alogoc
alogoc

The rumor maybe misunderstood by someone and false! It has something to do whit suspension!
THE F2012!

Coefficient
Coefficient

superdread wrote:That's not the case. The car started the season with the angled engine installation but was not designed to have a Double Diffuser. Ferrari only added a double diffuser several races into the season after their protests over Brawn/Williams/Toyota didn't bear any fruit. The angled engine was part of the original design and was intended to maximse the volume of the single diffusor. It also made it difficult to introduce a double diffuser as the engine and acilliary layout made it difficult to squeeze the extra diffusor deck in which is why their's was not too effective.
But the single deck diffusers had the same limitations as now? So there would be no need to tilt the engine.[/quote]

I'm no suggesting they are tilting the engine as a mod for this year. In fact, it seems unlikely as they'd need to do a new chassis unless they were happy they could make a spacer that wouldn't affect stiffness/installation integrity too much.