Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Ferrari F2012

godlameroso wrote:If you want hard figures, you would have to see how the airflow is conditioned by the cut outs and how that interacts with the RW endplate vortecies.
So this V section is all about vortex formation?

Brian

godlameroso

Not necessarily aimed at solely vortex formation but how it influences the vortecies that form at the edge of the wing where it connects with the endplates. I don't know exactly what they're trying to do with the V cut outs, when birds flap their wings their feathers spread open on the return stroke because it induces less drag, but we're talking about F1 cars not birds. I don't think the cutouts are worth it in my opinion, because yeah they reduce drag, but the downforce penalty is not worth it. Now if it's being used in the hopes of adding more yaw stability at the expense of some downforce fine. However, I would not go that route if it was just to reduce drag.
Saishū kōnā

Teechnical

Hey guys, what're the updates to the car expected in Belgium?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

bhall
bhall

I have no idea, and I don't like that. What in the world happened to our resident information-gophers?

alogoc
alogoc

bhallg2k wrote:I have no idea, and I don't like that. What in the world happened to our resident information-gophers?
new rear and front wing in SPA!

and than in Singapore a surprise surprise! :D
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

bhall
bhall

godlameroso wrote:Not necessarily aimed at solely vortex formation but how it influences the vortecies that form at the edge of the wing where it connects with the endplates. I don't know exactly what they're trying to do with the V cut outs, when birds flap their wings their feathers spread open on the return stroke because it induces less drag, but we're talking about F1 cars not birds. I don't think the cutouts are worth it in my opinion, because yeah they reduce drag, but the downforce penalty is not worth it. Now if it's being used in the hopes of adding more yaw stability at the expense of some downforce fine. However, I would not go that route if it was just to reduce drag.
Can you elaborate on how the cutouts could add yaw stability? Does that mean, figuratively speaking, that the "groove" cut into the air flow by the cutout acts sort of like a "shark fin"? (I genuinely don't know.)

It looks to me as though they're just a simple way to effectively reduce the frontal area of the wing to reduce drag without resorting to the wholesale reduction in downforce that would result from a wing with a lower AoA. Ferrari is not the first to go this route, either

RB4

RB5

You can see that Red Bull even employed features with the same intent on the sections of the flap that join the end plate. So, too, did Ferrari on the F2004.

Hail22

bhallg2k wrote:I have no idea, and I don't like that. What in the world happened to our resident information-gophers?

On a big holiday see you in a few weeks >.>

That slightly fat floor will be quite interesting in a few weeks...(flick a few pages back where I identified a small scoop just under the sidepod ;) ).

Be back next week with some feather ruffling news when the factory "officially" comes back to life....
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

alogoc
alogoc

Belive it or not Ferrari has tested a different angle of the engine in Hungary practice!
I will try to find out questions like purpose,benefits,chassis,debuth later today!
THE F2012!

PhillipM
PhillipM

I heard, from a very good source (who knows a man, who knows a guy on twitter, who once walked past the factory), that they're tilting Alonso's hair for a lower CoG.

superdread
superdread

PhillipM wrote:

I heard, from a very good source (who knows a man, who knows a guy on twitter, who once walked past the factory), that they're tilting Alonso's hair for a lower CoG.
They could move a bit to his chin like they did some years ago.

Actually, there are no CoG-limits for drivers, there is no real need for a head.

godlameroso

bhallg2k wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Not necessarily aimed at solely vortex formation but how it influences the vortecies that form at the edge of the wing where it connects with the endplates. I don't know exactly what they're trying to do with the V cut outs, when birds flap their wings their feathers spread open on the return stroke because it induces less drag, but we're talking about F1 cars not birds. I don't think the cutouts are worth it in my opinion, because yeah they reduce drag, but the downforce penalty is not worth it. Now if it's being used in the hopes of adding more yaw stability at the expense of some downforce fine. However, I would not go that route if it was just to reduce drag.
Can you elaborate on how the cutouts could add yaw stability? Does that mean, figuratively speaking, that the "groove" cut into the air flow by the cutout acts sort of like a "shark fin"? (I genuinely don't know.)

It looks to me as though they're just a simple way to effectively reduce the frontal area of the wing to reduce drag without resorting to the wholesale reduction in downforce that would result from a wing with a lower AoA. Ferrari is not the first to go this route, either

RB4

RB5

You can see that Red Bull even employed features with the same intent on the sections of the flap that join the end plate. So, too, did Ferrari on the F2004.

Upon turn in, the airflow shifts position on the wing, and tends to pool towards the endplates, on the RB8 the upper flap is shaped in such a way as to account for this shift, in other words that central dip helps stabilize airflow shift by preconditioning the flow to go towards the end plates. Thus when you have a yaw moment the shift is less sudden, and hence slightly more stable downforce. It's also why there are cheese graters on the rear wing endplates. It could be that Ferrari are trying to obtain the same effect but in a different way i.e. using the two v cutouts and also in the hope that it will shed drag, however it doesn't seem worth it to me, but I'm not sure, that's why teams test stuff.
Saishū kōnā

bhall
bhall

The end plate slits bleed pressure that would otherwise be shed as drag-inducing vorticies, and one would think the two slot-gap separators (fences) would be enough to prevent the span-wise flow you've described.

In any case, it appears Ferrari did in fact race the wing in Hungary.

Another thing to consider is the effect of the cutouts on the upwash from the main plane when DRS is engaged. The cutouts then reduce drag in much the same way the F2008's nose hole reduced drag associated with the upwash from the central section of the front wing. Maybe.

godlameroso

True the cheese graters bleed off pressure, and they also maintain the consistency of the downforce when the air-stream shifts during cornering.

My mistake I thought they did not race that rear wing but rather used in practice.
Saishū kōnā

alogoc
alogoc

Is it possible to use 2014 engine turbine for some sort of aerodynamic benefit?
THE F2012!

Richard
Richard

alogoc wrote:Is it possible to use 2014 engine turbine for some sort of aerodynamic benefit?
You may be interested in the discussion here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12454

...or for a more detailed discussion about the new engines :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9259&view=unread#unread

Back to topic, ie the 2012 car ....