COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

hairy_scotsman wrote:So the 60-day inspection is something like 53 days from the race...
Complaints should be filed with Mr. Charles Whiting, 8 Place de la Concorde, Paris, France 75008.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:So the 60-day inspection is something like 53 days from the race...
Complaints should be filed with Mr. Charles Whiting, 8 Place de la Concorde, Paris, France 75008.
No complaint. Just an observation. COTA got a 5+ week break. The track will be ready. The rest should be ready, too, with this additional time.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

xpensive
xpensive

hairy_scotsman wrote:
xpensive wrote:And FIA's final inspection is when again?
Can't remember the exact date. They originally said 90 days out from the race, which would be ~Aug 18. It was changed to 60 days, so ~Sep 17.
Aha, a change in the rules, which obviously makes any nomex-wager void. Ta-da...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

xpensive wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
xpensive wrote:And FIA's final inspection is when again?
Can't remember the exact date. They originally said 90 days out from the race, which would be ~Aug 18. It was changed to 60 days, so ~Sep 17.
Aha, a change in the rules, which obviously makes any nomex-wager void. Ta-da...
I sent an email to Charlie Whiting and he had this to say...
Charlie Whiting wrote:This is not a change in the rules, it is a clarification. Therefore the original terms still stand. Bring mustard.
So yeah, that totally not fake quote means the bet is still on.

xpensive
xpensive

MrM wrote:This clarification brings the sport into disrepute. Therefore the original bet is off.

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard
Richard

Sorry x, you were quite explicit that your nomex diet is dependant to on the race being held in November.

viewtopic.php?p=302105#p302105
xpensive wrote:
Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote: ...
BTW, what's "pukka"?
It's brit slang for 'proper' or something like that. My wife used to watch Jamie Oliver and he says it all the time.
More like "perfect" I think, but that's all irrelevant now, by the last pages on this here thread it has become obvious these guys have little clue as to what they are up to, if this race happens in November I will eat Nomex in heavy doses.

sknguy
sknguy

hairy_scotsman wrote: Image
Might be a tad steep, but that'd be a cool place for a soap box derby with its long run to the finish.

xpensive
xpensive

richard_leeds wrote:Sorry x, you were quite explicit that your nomex diet is dependant to on the race being held in November.
Under the rules at the time quite obviously, little did I know they were planning on manipulating the same?

What if Cota had given up on the surface and got a concession from the FIA to hold a dirt-track GP, then what?

Pup
Pup

Legally, the FIA regs state that the final inspection "should" be made 90 days prior to the race. The word "should" in place of "shall" implies intent but also a certain flexibility. Recent precedent has confirmed this. Since the FIA never announced an official final inspection date prior to Sept. 25, then it is clear that your original wager was made with full knowledge that the inspection date at that time was yet to be determined.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Ah...you guys are awfully serious about this bet.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

xpensive
xpensive

According to my legal counsel however, the xpression "should" indicates a comittment just as legally binding as "shall", reference to Johansson vs Larsson, Stockholm supreme court 1952. Given certain tolerances for translation of course.

Pup
Pup

The FIA regulations are written in French and English, not Swedish; nor is the race to be held in Sweden. Therefore Swedish legal precedent has no bearing in this case. Under both English and American law, the word "should" is not defined. "Shall" is always used when expressing obligation. "Should" therefore indicates either the FIA's flexibility or it's incompetence. Probably the latter, but that question, to my knowledge, has never been determined in court.
Last edited by Pup on 15 Aug 2012, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Should or shall, perhaps it's time for another clarification, "Thou shalt not bring the sport into disrepute", what's that then?

Pup
Pup

xpensive wrote:Should or shall, perhaps its time for another clarification, "Thou shalt not bring the sport into disrepute", what's that then?
A complete misstating of the rule in question.