COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Vance just posted 33 nice new photos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Some samples:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

It looks like if you want to go to the race now, you'll need to either buy a PSL or hope they add more grandstands. Ticketmaster is saying that even single seats are sold out.

It's also been mentioned elsewhere that the circuit is working with some of their neighbors to allow them transport options to the track - i.e., allow them to provide camping/rv spots.

Two excellent developments, I think.

strad

Circuit of the Americas™ and QuintEvents have partnered, creating Circuit of the
Americas Experiences, to make sure that YOU have the best Formula One™
experience! All of the packages can be purchased without having to
buy the other races at COTA and without the 15 year
PSL commitment.

Check out more Perks»Don’t miss out on Mario Andretti’s exclusive appearance ONLY in the
Circuit of The Americas Experiences’ hospitality party venue! Get your
hospitality ticket with our Main Grandstand, or Turn 1 ticket packages
so you can meet this racing legend, enjoy a premium bar, food, seating and more!
Purchase a USGP package through the Circuit of The Americas Experiences program and get the VIP treatment!
EXCLUSIVE! You now have the opportunity to purchase a 3 Day Official Ticket Package
for the Formula 1™ race through the Circuit of the Americas Experiences program!
• Tickets
• VIP Party Venue
• Add Accommodations
• Ground Transportation
(Hotel Packages Only: to/from
track and hotel)
• Premium Gift Bag
• Lanyard and Ticket Sleeve
• Fast Access Pass
(Exclusive VIP line for entering the track)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Broker prices though. Same as you'd pay through gptours and the like. They bought up PSL's and are selling them at a steep markup (3-4 times the face value).

I think F1.com had better prices, if they're still available.

Pup
Pup

strad

I'd want GA...wouldn't you? I like to be able to wander. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

aero expert 807
aero expert 807

strad wrote:I'd want GA...wouldn't you? I like to be able to wander. :wink:
GA is closed due to high demand.

strad

Broker prices though. Same as you'd pay through gptours and the like. They bought up PSL's and are selling them at a steep markup (3-4 times the face value).

I think F1.com had better prices, if they're still available.
Pup
8 Joined: 8 May 2008
That's from a letter sent to me by CotA Pup.
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

Yeah I know. Quint Events are the official tour provider - there was a press release about the partnership months back - but it's the same setup that the other guys have been offering. Maybe they got a better deal, being official and all, but their prices are exactly the same.

Like I said, you can get a turn 1 ticket at F1.com for $650 less than those guys. Bernie always gets a better deal. At his prices, it seems clear that he didn't have to pay for the PSL.

But I think only the scalpers - I mean brokers, sorry - have main grandstand seats still available, so if you want to sit there and not buy a full PSL, I guess you've got no choice but to pay 3+ times the face value of the ticket.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Looks like COTA's opening up previously PSL-only GS seats on T1 & T15:

http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574ebbd ... 20.12).pdf

Pup
Pup

The seat maps at ticketmaster show us exactly how many PSL's went unsold - I never expected they'd let us see that.

A rough estimate on my part says that T1 has about 1/4 of the seats left, and the stands at T15 around 1/8 or less unsold. Thats fewer than I'd have thought.

It's going to be a packed house - the F1 circus should love it.

In the end it looks like they knew what they were doing with the PSL's - I wonder if we could see the same strategy elsewhere. I could see Silverstone taking the plunge.

This also tells us a lot about demand for F1 in the US. Now if Jersey can get their act together...

Pup
Pup

New aerial. They've started paving the main road and laying final gravel on the perimeter road. Also setting up more parking areas all around...
It kills me still how much runoff there is around the esses.

godlameroso

Don't worry it's not finished, I'm sure they'll make it treacherous enough that they'll have to be mindful of the track. Maybe extreme cambers or undulations offline. They're still tacking --- on.
Saishū kōnā

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:The seat maps at ticketmaster show us exactly how many PSL's went unsold - I never expected they'd let us see that.

A rough estimate on my part says that T1 has about 1/4 of the seats left, and the stands at T15 around 1/8 or less unsold. Thats fewer than I'd have thought.

It's going to be a packed house - the F1 circus should love it.

In the end it looks like they knew what they were doing with the PSL's - I wonder if we could see the same strategy elsewhere. I could see Silverstone taking the plunge.

This also tells us a lot about demand for F1 in the US. Now if Jersey can get their act together...
We don't really know what's been sold & what hasn't.

We don't know how many PSLs have sold. What we know is how many are shown as "available" or "unavailable" at any given time. Maybe they have sold all those unavailable seats, but we really don't know. I believe the relatively “few” converted PSL seats that appear to be open right now are a result of them being converted & released at a trickle, just as GS seats were released a section at a time to regulate supply and encourage demand. This would be completely consistent with their M.O. to date. Unavailable seats could also be seats they're holding back in a continuing effort to sell corresponding PSLs.

I think we’ll probably see a release of 1-day GA tickets. I’ve thought so from the beginning, and everything seems to point to that now, but who knows? Crazy not to have them.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 22 Aug 2012, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

Ignoring that...

Someone elsewhere did the math on the PSL's for turns 1 and 15. 86% sold on T1 and 91% on T15, all together 89%. So better than I thought - even if you account for some being sold before he did his count, I'd think it's safe to say they sold around 85% of those seats and surely they've done better than that on the main straight.

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind single day GA tickets. If they've sold out of 3-day, then the only way they can sell single day is to add more GA area - open the infield or something. And if they do that, then why not sell more 3-day passes? No reason they can't do both I suppose - the infield at T10 would be great seating. Their ability to add GA, or any other seating for that mater probably has a lot more to do with permits and facilities than anything else at this point.