COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

strad wrote:I wonder/hope they are already working with Marshalling and support groups.
I don't remember exactly when it was, but 3 or so months ago some of the experienced F1 marshals who have been in contact with us said they finally got their invitations and could begin planning their trips in earnest. Don't know about other volunteer support groups.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

strad

I think they usually draw on the SCCA for marshalls don't they?
I was thinking about all of it down to ticket takers.
I'd sure like it to come off smoothly.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:I think they usually draw on the SCCA for marshalls don't they?
I was thinking about all of it down to ticket takers.
I'd sure like it to come off smoothly.
Last I heard they were seeking volunteers and had as many as about 700. Apparently they still need several hundred more.

bhall
bhall

[Oops]

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:
strad wrote:They add and change the seating at will..I've given up keeping track...Mostly cause I and I imagine most people do not give a damn.
HS..why do you care? Not intending to go and worrying about a black out on TV?
Pup...are you going? Why do you care if they have 1200 or 2000 seats in a given section?
Seems a strange thing to have a dust up over.
I don't care much. Just an observation. No conspiracy theory, etc.

I'll be there for sure...probably well before most and remaining long after most leave.

As for the "dustup", it is indeed a strange thing to argue over, so it leaves me wondering why Pup chose to pick a fight over it not only here, but on another board as well. For my part, I'm not arguing over the facts as much as I'm responding to Pup's continued attempts to discredit me anywhere he thinks he might gain a foothold. I had forgotten the post until Pup came in telling me, once again, that what I had seen didn't really happen, etc. We've all seen that act before and how it turned out (pp. 183-185), and we've all seen him pretend to wonder why I'd want to argue over it. It gets a little bit old when you're on the scene and someone hundreds or thousands of miles away continually calls you out, disputes things you know to be true, and questions your integrity.

HS the reason why some of what you say is irritating is that you put up rumors that are quiet unsubstantiated with regard to PSL sale. Quiet some time back you had written that PSL was an utter failure and they had only managed to sell a 1000 or so (if not written at least that was the image you were projecting and parading). Now it looks like PSLs have sold quiet well in (at least it looks like in excess of 2/3 of 27000 seats, which is GOOD) why still try to reinforce you previous stance (that PSL was a bad idea), which is dead?

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

WilliamsF1 wrote: HS the reason why some of what you say is irritating is that you put up rumors that are quiet unsubstantiated with regard to PSL sale. Quiet some time back you had written that PSL was an utter failure and they had only managed to sell a 1000 or so (if not written at least that was the image you were projecting and parading). Now it looks like PSLs have sold quiet well in (at least it looks like in excess of 2/3 of 27000 seats, which is GOOD) why still try to reinforce you previous stance (that PSL was a bad idea), which is dead?
'Cause situations couldn't have changed between "quite some time back" and NOW, right? No possible way that sales were sucking ass and then they picked up at some point. :roll:

I swear this place is the biggest bunch of pedants and needless ----disturbers I've ever run into. "OOH, five years ago you said Ferrari was slow and now Alonso is leading the world championship! NARF!" :roll:

strad

=D> =D> =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

COTA being cheap by offering these for $300 - $500.

Websta

I feel hot and sunburnt just looking at those seats

thearmofbarlow
thearmofbarlow

Websta wrote:I feel hot and sunburnt just looking at those seats
Not usually much heat going on in Texas in November though. It's usually cooled down into the 60's by then. :lol:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:
strad wrote:They add and change the seating at will..I've given up keeping track...Mostly cause I and I imagine most people do not give a damn.
HS..why do you care? Not intending to go and worrying about a black out on TV?
Pup...are you going? Why do you care if they have 1200 or 2000 seats in a given section?
Seems a strange thing to have a dust up over.
I don't care much. Just an observation. No conspiracy theory, etc.

I'll be there for sure...probably well before most and remaining long after most leave.

As for the "dustup", it is indeed a strange thing to argue over, so it leaves me wondering why Pup chose to pick a fight over it not only here, but on another board as well. For my part, I'm not arguing over the facts as much as I'm responding to Pup's continued attempts to discredit me anywhere he thinks he might gain a foothold. I had forgotten the post until Pup came in telling me, once again, that what I had seen didn't really happen, etc. We've all seen that act before and how it turned out (pp. 183-185), and we've all seen him pretend to wonder why I'd want to argue over it. It gets a little bit old when you're on the scene and someone hundreds or thousands of miles away continually calls you out, disputes things you know to be true, and questions your integrity.

HS the reason why some of what you say is irritating is that you put up rumors that are quiet unsubstantiated with regard to PSL sale. Quiet some time back you had written that PSL was an utter failure and they had only managed to sell a 1000 or so (if not written at least that was the image you were projecting and parading). Now it looks like PSLs have sold quiet well in (at least it looks like in excess of 2/3 of 27000 seats, which is GOOD) why still try to reinforce you previous stance (that PSL was a bad idea), which is dead?
They've sold about 3000 or so PSLs. I've said that since I said they had sold ~1000. Nope, no link, but that does not make it a rumor...and if I was spreading it I'd have said it much more. I've been given updates on this by multiple people who would know. They are consistent. Now, have they sold many more previously "PSL-only" seats by removing the PSL requirement? No doubt.

I'm in a position to hear and see a lot more about this thing than even most people here in Austin. That's not bragging. It's just the truth. It's not me saying that I'm some kind of guru or anything. It didn't happen overnight and I'm lucky and happy to be in this position. Nobody has to believe any of it, but it's the truth. Do I broadcast everything I know? Not at all.

As for "trying to reinforce" that stance with two or three postings of random ticket observations, that's not what I was doing at all. I didn't think anything of those posts as they were just observations of the ticket situation that I was passing along. Practically everywhere else where I post such info, I'm met with nothing but interest from people who are still looking to buy. Indeed, I've helped COTA sell tickets and RV spots, including some to a group of celebs who came to me because COTA didn't respond to their inquiries. But hey, you don't know what you don't know. That's not your fault.

Out of all the very busy places I post, I've only met resistance from 3 or 4 posters, a couple of which are here, and one who duplicates his efforts on at least one other board.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 28 Aug 2012, 15:07, edited 2 times in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

thearmofbarlow wrote:
Websta wrote:I feel hot and sunburnt just looking at those seats
Not usually much heat going on in Texas in November though. It's usually cooled down into the 60's by then. :lol:
It probably won't be very hot, mid 70s-ish, but y'all better bring the sunscreen anyway! Those seats face west.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Nice pics. Looks like Bernie's building is shaping up nicely.

It's interesting here to see the difference in Main GS design compared to older renderings.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman