COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

hairy_scotsman wrote:They've sold about 3000 or so PSLs.
Surely you can see why that's difficult to believe. Let's say that you're right, and let's say that all of those 3,000 seats are in the sections we know about, turns 1 and 15. That's roughly 17,000 seats, and when they were released they showed about 2,000 available. So, 17,000, less the 2,000, less your 3,000, leaves 12,000 empty seats that they've supposedly been hiding from us. 12,000 out of 17,000 - and that assumes that the 9,000 seats of the main grandstand are completely empty.

I mean, sure, you could be right - why not - but it's very, very difficult to believe without anything to back it up other than vague rumor.

I have no doubt that they're adding seats - I've seen it myself. About 150 seats on Friday in turn 15 sections 1-7, and what looks like 25 today in turn 1, section 3. But those are pretty small jumps though in the scheme of things, and Richard's explanation seems far more plausible. Now, you could say that they're being extra sneaky and filtering the seats in a few at a time throughout the day. OK, I could buy that, but then if they are doing that, then why the occasional jump in availability? I'd think they'd either follow one strategy or the other, wouldn't you?

At the end of the day, it just seems implausible. I mean, take the opposite approach as above and say that those 3,000 PSLs are in the main grandstand - you want us to believe that they're just going to leave the other 6,000 seats empty, with no attempt to sell them at all? It doesn't make sense.

Actually, at the end of the day, it just seems inconsequential to most people. I mean, they've built the track, it looks great, they've sold tons of tickets even if you said that every single PSL they offered went unsold. I personally am curious about their sales and I'd love to know if what you're saying is true - because if so it means I'm completely wasting my time keeping track of it.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

tl;dr.

You seem a lot more interested in it than I am. I don't really care who believes who. You, on the other hand, seem keenly interested in ensuring that everyone believes COTA. Believe what you want. I'm not going to beat anyone over the head with my opinion or my knowledge.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 28 Aug 2012, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

lotus7
lotus7

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Is that brick/stretcher bond siding/cladding a final finish ? What material is it?
I am an architect , hence the interest

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

lotus7 wrote:Is that brick/stretcher bond siding/cladding a final finish ? What material is it?
Honestly, I've been trying to figure that out myself, but I'm not as familiar with construction materials as some of the others. Maybe someone else will know.

strad

Three long posts deleted later...
Hairy are you actually connected to CotA? Why should we believe you when your info is at odds with what CotA sends me and at odds with other sources?
You act like we should just take your word for some things without offering any bona fides
edit
That's sounds agressive...not meant to be.
It's that you confuse me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:Three long posts deleted later...
Hairy are you actually connected to CotA? Why should we believe you when your info is at odds with what CotA sends me and at odds with other sources?
You act like we should just take your word for some things without offering any bona fides
edit
That's sounds agressive...not meant to be.
It's that you confuse me.
No problem Strad. It's all good. I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. Believe me or don't. It's no problem. Everyone has their own opinion & everyone believes what they believe. That's just normal. What I won't do is sit idly by while my integrity is questioned.

I'm not officially connected to COTA but have worked with them over the last 2 years. We get info from a wide variety of people, including people working on site, in the offices, vendors, and more. I don't offer sources because I can't if I want the info stream to continue.

ETA: You might understand it better if you were here in town. People paying attention to COTA have been alienated by them over the last year to 18 months...including, no, especially...the "F1 Fan" contingent. I'm not in the minority here. Most have gradually changed their view just as I have. Many did so before me. The minority view now in Austin is to accept without skepticism whatever COTA puts out there.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 28 Aug 2012, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

lotus7 wrote:Is that brick/stretcher bond siding/cladding a final finish ? What material is it?
Judging from the texture, I think it's just plywood sheathing. Tyvek over that, and then from the renderings I think the finish is corrugated metal. I guess that they need the structural plywood to secure the metal, since everywhere else they've been using DensGlas.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

COTA track update. There are 20+ pics. Here are a few:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/article ... s-progress

mclaren777

Still no word on support races for 2012. :cry:

Richard
Richard

Beige carpet ??? Hardly the glitz and glamour we'd normally associate with F1.

FW17

richard_leeds wrote:Beige carpet ??? Hardly the glitz and glamour we'd normally associate with F1.
Beige is paper, the carpet is below that.

Did you notice the ceiling on the second level of pit building is not painted but the seats are installed :o

Richard
Richard

I was meaning those 80's style brown carpet tiles.

I'd expect the concrete above the seats would remain fair faced, ie unpainted?

Onto something a little more serious, could it be that the grandstand has sold 3000 PSL tickets and the other 6000 are sold in blocks to tour operators for exclusive luxury packages? The only hitch with that theory is that I can't find any advertised!

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:I was meaning those 80's style brown carpet tiles.
Brown will go remarkably well with gold... that might add the necessary glitz at a later date.

lotus7
lotus7

hairy_scotsman wrote:
That carpet looks very similar to a carpet we had recently installed at a university lecture hall- Made by a US company called Interface IIRC . It has a very good reputation here .
The colour appears the same as we used , not beige but brown in 2 shades

Pup
Pup

That carpet selection is nearly as tragic as the stone retaining walls. How is Charlie supposed to do his job with that appalling texture underfoot?