Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

also with the cascades gone...the can run the fw at a higher AoA and deflect more air away from the front tires to reduce drag

jaba.hut

I have insider info that long missing Crucial Xtreme will be back here tomorrow .

RandiAndika
RandiAndika

F1.Ru wrote:
RandiAndika wrote:feel pessimistic for this weekend..... why they removed the cascacades? to reducing downforce? sorry begginer :D
Welcome to the wonderful world of F1Technical blog, and as about your comment i dont think that there are many causes to be pessimistic. caz Spa is alomost like canadian gp where low downforce and low drag reign. Also this is a track which is full of high speed corners which is a strong point favoring F2012 as they are repeatedly saying that they are strong in high speed track, and the track temperature and weather both are in favor of team like Redbull, McLaren and Ferrari. As u know that Lotus tend to be quick in warm weather. And weather prediction is mixed, in mixed condition F2012 in the hand of Alonso might recreate the magic that we are witnessing throughout the season ............. :D
Thankyou. Yeah i really hope to see many overtakes cause spa is my favorite track! But im worry of lotus DDRS:| hope it not affect too much. Cant wait for sunday!!

RandiAndika
RandiAndika

So they not reducing downforce but reducing drag? OK thanks amouzouris & cuky!!!

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

RandiAndika wrote: why they removed the cascacades? to reducing downforce?
I would say more about vortex management. Can all the cascades possibly make for the most efficient FW... WHEN the wing is viewed in isolation.

Brian

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The point is, Brian, that you can't view the front wing in isolation. It affects the flow over the entire car so it not only generates its own downforce but conditions/directs the flow that later aero parts will use.

The cascades will be powerful flow conditioners and might actually be helping the car generate rear grip rather than front grip (although no doubt they do that too).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Isak
Isak

The front wing effects the rest of the car far less now then pre 2009, today its more about managing the tyre induced drag then managing flow over the rest of the car. I wont go into why the cascades are gone since i have no data to back up those thoughts, but i suspect its just a balance thing and that the cascades have the worst drag/df ratio of the front wibg elements.

alogoc
alogoc

rake comparison
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

amouzouris

any news on the moved upper wishbone pickup points?

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Ferrari sideposts look very bulky to me, i don't understand why they didn't go to low sideposts like Sauber, if someone can explain me why it's the benefit of Ferrari sideposts over the Sauber one for example.

It's the first thing that surprise me on the F2012, not the nose but the high sidepost.

swarren7
swarren7

It appears that the Ferrari is running more rear wing then either the Red Bull or McLaren. The Red Bull looks to be running the least amount.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Just_a_fan wrote:The point is, Brian, that you can't view the front wing in isolation

Of coarse the FW can be viewed in isolation, which is an integral part of my statement: 'Can all the cascades possibly make for the most efficient FW...'

Taking a whole car view; in this case one could assume that Ferrari is targeting for more front down-force at the expense of the rest of the car's down-force.

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

So they create more df on a lower df track by removing parts that generate df itself?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender