Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
simos
simos

Re: Ferrari F2012

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Ferrari sideposts look very bulky to me, i don't understand why they didn't go to low sideposts like Sauber, if someone can explain me why it's the benefit of Ferrari sideposts over the Sauber one for example.

It's the first thing that surprise me on the F2012, not the nose but the high sidepost.
Firstly Ferraris sidepods include their engine cooling outlet, so they must be a bit wider. Then there is advantage of allowing air to move under the sidepods over the back floor, without it mixing with exhaust gasses.

F1.Ru

Hey here are some of the pic from 1st nd 2nd Practices............. Right Click > view image

Rear Wing Comparison Massa vs Alonso

Massa

Alonso

Rear Wing Comparison Massa (Old) vs Alonso (New)

Rear Wing Comparison Massa (Old) vs Alonso (New) from back side

Rear Body Work, Monkey Seat, Diffuser & Exhaust

New Mirror Mounting

Rear Wing Comparison Massa (Old) vs Alonso (New) from front view

and some other pics
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

bhall
bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:The point is, Brian, that you can't view the front wing in isolation

Of coarse the FW can be viewed in isolation, which is an integral part of my statement: 'Can all the cascades possibly make for the most efficient FW...'

Taking a whole car view; in this case one could assume that Ferrari is targeting for more front down-force at the expense of the rest of the car's down-force.

Brian

Define efficient. Are we talking about downforce? Drag? Downstream effects (flow routing)? Balance?

You confuse me, Brian.
wesley123 wrote:So they create more df on a lower df track by removing parts that generate df itself?

That's not altogether impossible. Don't forget that speed is a "component" of downforce. The faster a car travels, the "less wing" is required to make downforce.

raymondu999

If the laptime difference is marginal, I fail to see why they don't just select the one with the bigger wing - the added stability will be a boon for the wet.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

jaba.hut wrote:I have insider info that long missing Crucial Xtreme will be back here tomorrow .
Sweet! I sure hope so!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Teechnical

Hey guys :D
I haven't been following Spa this weekend as i've been busy, but besides the rear wing and the new mirror mountings what else is new on the F2012?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

Cuky

Also new is front wing they used today in FP3 which hase cascades removed

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Ok i understand now why this car is the fastest in S1 and S3, but after Raikkonen and both Sauber, Alonso was the fastest in S2.With this skinny rear wing, its a good thing.

F1.Ru

Much talked cascade less Front wing of F2012 which sported in both Alonso' & Massa's car in qualifying....

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

F1.Ru

Some Pictures from today's qualifying and final practice............ Right Click to view image

And some details of Area of changes Like Exhaust, Front Wing, Rear Wing, Mirror Mounting, and Diffuser

Last edited by F1.Ru on 01 Sep 2012, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Interesting to see Ferrari go the Merc GP route with cascade-less FW. Didn't get to see any FP's or Quali but from what I'm seeing it seems Ferrari maybe shed some overall DF to remain competitive in the 1st & 3rd sectors and is paying the price in S2. Hard to know for sure. One thing we do know is the car performs better in race trim than Quali trim, or so has been the case so far this season. Let's hope it continues at Spa.

Cuky

Just my thoughts on new FW: I think they use this cascade-less wing to keep the car balanced with low downforce rear wing. I mean, in Friday practice sessions when normal rear wing was used they also used front wing with cascades on it.

Pierce89

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Interesting to see Ferrari go the Merc GP route with cascade-less FW. Didn't get to see any FP's or Quali but from what I'm seeing it seems Ferrari maybe shed some overall DF to remain competitive in the 1st & 3rd sectors and is paying the price in S2. Hard to know for sure. One thing we do know is the car performs better in race trim than Quali trim, or so has been the case so far this season. Let's hope it continues at Spa.
He lives!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

It's the rear wing of the Mclaren car, nothing to do with Ferrari :)