Thoughts on 2012 tyres?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ubrben
ubrben

Re: Thoughts on 2012 tyres?

Bit random and unedited, but might be interesting if you've never been in a tyre factory before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG3sdF8I ... ure=relmfu

Ben

gato azul
gato azul

just to provide some context, to some information's which where mentioned in the video and what ties in with what JT said earlier in this thread.
MICHELIN
Michelin allocates significant financial and human resources to research and development: R&D has a budget of over 500 million euros p.a. and employs over 6,000 people worldwide.
BRIDGESTONE
Research and development expenditures for the tire segment in 2006 totaled ¥71.5 billion ($600 million).
compared with PIRELLI
1,200 full-time researchers globally

R&D estimated at ~117 Million Euro p.a. (see below)

2012 Update
Investments for the year 2012 are seen at below 500 million euro (prior target approximately 500 million euro) and will be predominantly destined to the expansion of Premium capacity, and quality and mix improvements.
they don't quote a direct number for their R&D budget (7% of TO), but as you can see, their total investment volume/budget is equal or slightly smaller then what Michelin invests in R&D alone. From here you can see, that they claim a total investment in R&D of 350 Million Euro for 2013-2015 ( ~117 Million Euro p.a.)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

At about the 8:43 mark is the technician applying the cords? Are the cords that make up the side walls a continuous thread or are they assembled as belts?

If the side wall cords are wound, what do they wrap around when they approach the bead assemble? I have cut tires apart before, but do not recall seeing cord material around the steel bead assembly.

Brian

gato azul
gato azul

maybe watching this explains some things more in detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K474RYse ... re=related

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

hardingfv32 wrote:I have cut tires apart before, but do not recall seeing cord material around the steel bead assembly.
GZ's video is a good one. Cutting tires you will find the ply comes down, wraps around the bottom of the bead bundle, then up a distance on the sidewall.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

zonk
zonk

F1 2011 - How the Pirelli Formula One tyre is made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cQ3fB8fZ4E

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Casing lay-up: May I assume then, that since they are laid around a mandrel that there is a seam? Is the casing more than one layer so that the seams are staggered? Or is the casing long enough to wrap around multi-able times?

Brian

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

There is a "seam" of sorts, yes. Bear in mind though the cords in the casing plies go from bead to bead, laterally across the tire. They do not get wound continuously along the circumference. So in a way, each and every cord is a "seam" if you're traveling circumferentially.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

I was under the impression that the side-wall cords had an angle involved in their lay-up, a possible X shape look to it. I thought radials might still retain a shallow angle.

In the case of bias ply type tires and what I assume is a X type pattern: Would the X pattern be formed by two layers of angled cord material or one layer of X weaved material?

Brian

raymondu999

So Paul Hembery made on an online talkshow with Peter Windsor last night. Peter Windsor isn't really a great reference source IMO, but Paul answers questions on some subjects that I thought was interesting.

Here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N0XmtTKUjM[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

hardingfv32 wrote:I was under the impression that the side-wall cords had an angle involved in their lay-up, a possible X shape look to it. I thought radials might still retain a shallow angle.

In the case of bias ply type tires and what I assume is a X type pattern: Would the X pattern be formed by two layers of angled cord material or one layer of X weaved material?

Brian
Sure there can be some angle. Done by two layers though - generally this is even stamped on the sidewall of consumer tires (how many body plies, belts)

Still, the point is that each individual cord goes from side to side even if there's a slight angle. So each cord is its own "seam" as it sits there side by side with its neighbor.

FW17

Not many people here like the tyre war situation, but i would love to see a tyre war again.

With teams open to choose any manufacturer for any race or any part of the race.

erikejw
erikejw

I don't like the latter part of the season.
Pirelli went super conservative at the same time the teams figured out the tyres.

When teams 1-stops the leaders will never go out in traffic.
With 2-stops teams have more strategy options, not only option-prime.
They can also take some chances and stop earlier when it is best tyre-wise and overtake some cars and
jump the competition that waits on a clear track.

I don't want a single one-stop race 2013.
Pirelli did a good job last year and the first part of this.
I hope they learn some from that.

A slightly broader operating windows next year would help overtaking.
It is possible to run behind and still have the tyres in the window.
That is good thinking.