Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spankyham

Re: Ferrari F2012

Any ideas on what this might be, sensor(s)?

"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

wunderkind
wunderkind

Airflow speed sensor and/or an infra-red temperature sensor pointed at the rear tyre.

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

It's highly unlikely to have a infra red sensor pointing towards the side wall of the tyre. A air flow sensor seems more reasonable but I will guess that may be a strain gauge based on the size and the place being mounted on

Hail22

I'm going for a long shot here, I think that looks to me like a "Thermal bauble" it literally is there to sense heat coming from a certain direction.

Do you think they may be testing exhaust gases to the brake ducts?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

bhall
bhall

I'd say "long shot" is an understatement there. ;)

Hail22

bhallg2k wrote:I'd say "long shot" is an understatement there. ;)
Could be worse, I heard a few good ones that I've had a laugh at about certain...angled...tilted...block :P oh look there is a pig flying *looks over yonder*

What do you think it is?

Air flow monitor, heat sensor?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Kiril Varbanov

Spankyham wrote:Any ideas on what this might be, sensor(s)?
Good picture, but not good enough to tell for sure. What it is not is infrared sensor - it's already mounted in front of the rear tires, in the bulge that precedes the three usual slits at the end of the step plane.

wunderkind
wunderkind

It could be an infra-red temperature sensor pointed at inside of the wheel perhaps. Is Ferrari running those McLaren brake drums that could be open or shut to manage the heat that transmits to the tyres?

Redragon

If they are thermal sensors, they are not only placed on the top. You can find them too on the middle section of the duct.

I am impressed by the quality of that picture you can see the reference factory number on suspension lol

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Tape over the pick up points or whatever? A possible attempt to reduce any turbulent air in that area?.... even more of a longshot perhaps? :lol:

Spankyham

I was thinking some sort of adjustment access point they don't want to show yet?
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

PhillipM
PhillipM

alogoc wrote: there is a BIG tweak under the hood,just around the engine! :D
Yep, they've angled it just as you said they would for last week.
Oh wait, no they haven't. And it wasn't there last week either. Quelle Surprise

Wonder if the sensor is checking the temps of the brake 'duct' winglets rather than the tyre? Although I'm not sure why given the exhaust hasn't moved, perhaps a high speed camera checking how much clearance there is to the tyre sidewall over kerb impacts, etc?

bhall
bhall

Hail22 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:I'd say "long shot" is an understatement there. ;)
Could be worse, I heard a few good ones that I've had a laugh at about certain...angled...tilted...block :P oh look there is a pig flying *looks over yonder*

What do you think it is?

Air flow monitor, heat sensor?
Don't forget my battery floor and super Coanda octopus exhaust-blown diffuser.

It looks like tape to me. I have no idea what it's covering and/or supporting, though.

Hail22

The "Super-Coanda exhaust diffuser" would be considered/slated possibly for Singapore if they were to go that direction.

The Battery floor would aid saving in weight...however the weakness would be if the floor cracked/broke going over a kerb/gravel?

Gilles Villeneuve

bhall
bhall

The battery floor is actually not nearly as preposterous as it sounds. A piece of it would have to break off to lose effectiveness. But, it makes little sense in F1, because the batteries for both KERS and the engine are already quite small and placed pretty much on the floor.