Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Ferrari F2012

techF1LES wrote:Image
I've never noticed the bulge at the top of the left sidepod. Sorry if it was already discussed but any idea of what is its purpose?

bhall
bhall

If I had to guess - which, I suppose I don't, but I do so enjoy reading my own words - I'd say it probably just provides clearance for the Helmholtz resonator on the exhaust.

Lurk

I thought about that too but there is none at the right side. Exhausts are symetric, am I right?

bhall
bhall

They're not always symmetrical, no.

fynrd1
fynrd1

bhallg2k wrote:
Hail22 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:I'd say "long shot" is an understatement there. ;)
Could be worse, I heard a few good ones that I've had a laugh at about certain...angled...tilted...block :P oh look there is a pig flying *looks over yonder*

What do you think it is?

Air flow monitor, heat sensor?
Don't forget my battery floor and super Coanda octopus exhaust-blown diffuser.

It looks like tape to me. I have no idea what it's covering and/or supporting, though.
I agree with that, just tape to cover the mounting area. Other angles will confirm that.

Lurk

bhallg2k wrote:They're not always symmetrical, no.
Oh.. ok then. Explanation sold :D

diffuser

I know what it is .... Test for how to race Q3 with a broken roll bar ! :lol:

I was intreged by the talk this week over top speed. Which we seem as a forum to give too much attension to, it keeps comming backup. I beleive it has to do with atleast a couple or Ferrari personnel mentioning it (I'm sure I read Alonzo mentioning a couple of times). The journalist never ask him to explain in more depth what he means.

As a statistic topspeed is a very limited in what it is telling us. To register it, you need only hit it. It doesn't say that you were at that speed for .0001 of a second or 10 seconds. WIth more downforce and lower gear ratio (everything else being equal) you'll end up with a lower top speed but you'll attain that top speed much quicker, be able to brake later, maintaining that speed longer. That doesn't only apply to long straights it would apply all over the track including high speed corners were you'll hold more speed. I suspect what Alsonzo eludes to is aero efficiancy .... and not purely topspeed. I don't know of a good statistic of aero efficiany.

adam2003
adam2003

Im disgusted with the problems that Alonso has had this weekend. At this level and fighting for the championship is unacceptable from Ferrari.

ecapox

They tweeted that the failed part cost 1 euro. It happens.

F1.Ru

Ferrari F2012 - revised front wing
ImageImage

In Italy Ferrari are again using the new front wing (main drawing) introduced at Spa, different in all its components and not - as one might expect for Monza - simply a standard wing with the upper flaps (1) removed to reduce the downforce level. The endplate (2) is new, without the extra slot and the triangular fin (3). All the wing profiles are different (4), with a more stepped join where they meet the endplate, and the last flap (5) has a differently positioned slot. The system (6) to adjust the flap's angle of incidence has been modified and, of course, the flap has a shorter chord. ©Formula1.com
Last edited by F1.Ru on 09 Sep 2012, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

F1.Ru

diffuser wrote:I know what it is .... Test for how to race Q3 with a broken roll bar ! :lol:
I was intreged by the talk this week over top speed. Which we seem as a forum to give too much attension to, it keeps comming backup. I beleive it has to do with atleast a couple or Ferrari personnel mentioning it (I'm sure I read Alonzo mentioning a couple of times). The journalist never ask him to explain in more depth what he means. [............]
It might means that F2012 actually gain top speed compared to their previous races, or their CL/CD ratio is now lower compared to their previous version. Now you can say that with monza specific configuration they are not fast compared to kimi or button or lewis but that is not the whole picture. Caz u have to think that may be if with their previous stat of CL/CD ratio they apply them to Monza spec then their top speed may be even lower than now.

What i personally believe and from their consecutive fastest sector 3 times from both Alonso nd Massa make me believe that they are running with a little more downforce compared to Mecca or a lot more df then Lotus. But the positive is that their ultimate pace or time is way better than their previous races. Hope to see a fantastic race in Monza and wish for podium for both Alonso and massa..............................
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

shelly
shelly

Rear suspension fail on Alonso's car reminds me of Massa's retirement in 2007 Monza grand prix, for damaging a rear suspension part. Could they both be related to kerbs?
twitter: @armchair_aero

timbo
timbo

shelly wrote:Rear suspension fail on Alonso's car reminds me of Massa's retirement in 2007 Monza grand prix, for damaging a rear suspension part. Could they both be related to kerbs?
Alonso is not a hard kerb hitter, I guess it just happens.

fynrd1
fynrd1

here you can see what they cover up with tape.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

What might be the white outlined square inside the exhaust outlet area in the photo above?

Brian