Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Ferrari F2012

Coefficient wrote:
I see they've added a Hamster sized conning tower to the airbox. Any ideas why? Up periscope!! :wink:
Oh no! Not that old question again. This is a pitot tube running in clear air, and is used at ALL tests.

Cuky

aleksandergreat wrote:
amouzouris wrote:in the pic scarbs tweeted...is the car under braking? cs if its not then i think they are running a bigger than usual rake! (rake as in difference between the front and rear right heights...not the rake with the pitot tubes)
I think this pic is taken in apex of third corner ("Estoril" corner)... So no braking but reasonbly fast corner... But still camera is quite hight and makes optical ilusion of increased rake... Even more i say that rake is nothing special quite commmon throw season... Anyway hard is to telll even we loking other pic in the pits...

to me it looks like it is taken on pit enterance. But I doubt that car is under braking there as it has already passed the speed limit line so it would be running on limiter at constant speed

Forza

Well I doubt you will spot the difference because of shadows. The change could be minimalist (+- mm) or none.

Spankyham

"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

f1316
f1316

The flow conditioner that folds over the top at the front of the sidepod - McLaren have now got one and Sauber had one earlier in the season - reminds me of the Piola impression of how the F2012 would look before it launched.

I've therefore been surprised that Ferrari haven't gone down this route, but perhaps it is something that was on the initial design of the car - so Piola picked up on it - but it then got dropped along the way in favour of other methods.

Just speculation but will be interesting to see if they come out with one during testing.

Crabbia
Crabbia

f1316 wrote:
I've therefore been surprised that Ferrari haven't gone down this route, but perhaps it is something that was on the initial design of the car - so Piola picked up on it - but it then got dropped along the way in favour of other methods.

Just speculation but will be interesting to see if they come out with one during testing.
i dont think ferrari will have go that route, according to the 2012 car comparison thread the F2012 has the highest sidepod. Granted these figures are not accurate but it would suggest that it is move more into "clean air" than the McLaren or Suaber designs.

also the ferrari has a subtle u shape to it ( it is higher on the outer edges than on the tub side) so if they do go the route of the Sauber flow conditioner i would expect their interpretation to look a bit different.

@Spankyham, that's the starter hole, been there since launch, that angle also gave me a boner first time i saw it.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

PhillipM
PhillipM

Spankyham wrote: Really have no idea, but, if they were able to make a significant advance in this area then perhaps they could also look at reducing pod intakes that are heavy contributors to drag. Also, if Ferrari were able to make significant advances here it would be pretty much impossible for other teams to spot. Hope to read a few replies to the original post.
There's not really a lot to make in the fluid itself, you're probably looking at tenths of a percent...

f300v10
f300v10

Looks like Ferrari is testing a higher downforce version of the cascade-less wing used at Spa and Monza:

aleks_ader

Crabbia wrote:i dont think ferrari will have go that route, according to the 2012 car comparison thread the F2012 has the highest sidepod. Granted these figures are not accurate but it would suggest that it is move more into "clean air" than the McLaren or Suaber designs.
Yes, but that "clean" air is pretty much disturbed from front wing (at speed changing). That also make huge difference in sidepod laminar flow seperation.
The Ferraris sidepod shape on side pod entrance it is also little more curved like others (like you also noticed) ... Anyway without windtunel data of whole model its hard to predict where or even when separation occured...
also the ferrari has a subtle u shape to it ( it is higher on the outer edges than on the tub side) so if they do go the route of the Sauber flow conditioner i would expect their interpretation to look a bit different.
1+
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Hail22 wrote:Just got an email this morning from our dear friend the "informant"

He advised me that Ferrari will be testing a new chemical compound/liquid to aid engine and hydraulic cooling.

Nothing else was in the email except to enjoy the next few days of testing :/

So I guess its time for me to have a look at my old chemistry charts to see what can be created out of simple compounds to make a new cooling solution/liquid instead of radiator fluid/water.

It makes sense since we're coming up to the hotter than usual Grand Prix...hmmm

Any ideas what liquid chemical can be made for cooling without blocking the lines or being highly flammable?
Has he ever been right before?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

amouzouris

new front wing pylons...and new FW upper flap...looks a lot like the one from pre-season testing but with the endplates used in the 2012 season so far

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote:Image
new front wing pylons...and new FW upper flap...looks a lot like the one from pre-season testing but with the endplates used in the 2012 season so far
The nose is new as well as the cameras. The slant in the nose isn't as abrupt as usual.

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

amouzouris wrote:http://www.xpb.cc/thumbnails/2012/f1-20 ... OH_450.jpg
Cameras have been moved to the side of the nose cone as well as the cascade being shorter than before.

Edit: Changed the bb codes for the image.

F1.Ru

zyphro wrote:I doubt the aforementioned would bring "significant" advances.
Yup just the combination of fuel or any chemical can not bring "significant advances" in pace or changes the layout of the car as the chemical or fuel elements and their temperature are tightly controlled but if this can bring some efficiency in fuel use or helps in economic fuel consumption that can bring around at least .1 sec advantages + if Ferrari able to accommodate smaller air intake or can contribute to better management of hot Rad exit plum then again they could get at least .1 sec from that too. In total that might seems tiny 0.2 sec, but for this season every bit counts whether its 0.001 or 0.002. Because we already seen how close the grid was, in that term a 0.2 sec advantages is huge. Almost in average 4 grid place so........... i think u understand what i mean.
Spankyham wrote: [......................]Hope to read a few replies to the original post.

This matter has been already discussed in this forum, so may not have much replies...... in this regards see these post

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11778&start=5940
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Hail22

Owen.C93 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Just got an email this morning from our dear friend the "informant"

He advised me that Ferrari will be testing a new chemical compound/liquid to aid engine and hydraulic cooling.

Nothing else was in the email except to enjoy the next few days of testing :/

So I guess its time for me to have a look at my old chemistry charts to see what can be created out of simple compounds to make a new cooling solution/liquid instead of radiator fluid/water.

It makes sense since we're coming up to the hotter than usual Grand Prix...hmmm

Any ideas what liquid chemical can be made for cooling without blocking the lines or being highly flammable?
Has he ever been right before?
He was right in telling me that many months ago Ferrari was testing with the F10 at Fiorano with black tarp covering the fences.

A few days after my post X2 confirmed it, what they were testing that day many months ago has yet to be captured/known though...

Would I put my chips down on him all the time? No
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve