Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
otbsti

Re: Ferrari F2012

Not sure what the big deal is about the foot controlled DRS... Mercedes did that last year.
"Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that."
-Ayrton Senna

Mercedes AMG Petronas
Lewis Hamilton #44

timbo
timbo

Actually I heard they use levers on the steering wheel.

superdread
superdread

otbsti wrote:Not sure what the big deal is about the foot controlled DRS... Mercedes did that last year.
Normally the DRS is deactivated when the driver applies the brakes, but the wing takes a short amount of time to reinstate the normal flow. Having the driver deactivate it makes it possible to have full rear DF when braking, and by making it foot-deactivated he can have both hands firmly on the wheel to hold the car straight.

windwaves
windwaves

otbsti wrote:Not sure what the big deal is about the foot controlled DRS... Mercedes did that last year.

big deal ?

F1.Ru

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Piola has animation for AMuS - Ferrari are using third small pedal to activate DRS.
Here are the Translation of the title that is given with each picture........... it is bit rusty caz translated with Gooooooooooogle Translator :D but useful caz at least one could make out what they are trying to say.... no is indicating the sequence of the pic from start to the end......

1. In our latest formula 1 technology video we look under the carbon-dress the Ferrari.
2. We show how Fernando Alonso is in his official car you
3. ... and trick which hides itself in the foot
4. Normally our dedicated Formula 1 technology guru Giorgio Piola especially aerodynamic updates or mechanical modifications
5. In the first video after the summer break, he shows the auto motor und sport readers the Ferrari times from a different perspective.
6. It is the first time a pilot in the animation sequences.
7. We let Alonso go into his cockpit.
8. Just got bigger with the perspective. The driver is deep in his seat.
9. In profile, only the helmet is visible.
10. We'll show you how it looks without the carbon cloth.
11. Comfortable is different. Imagine, you have to jet in this position at 320 km / h through the fast corners of Spa or Silverstone
12. A little secret hidden in Ferrari's side footwell.
13. With the right foot power is given, is braked with my left. The last pilot who completed both with Rubens Barrichello was right.
14. The pedals are vertical and are adapted in shape to the shoes. Below contrives the pilot with his heel. Edges around the edges to ensure that it does not slip.
15. Particularly interesting is this additional mini-pedal on the left side.
16. Normally, the rider stands with both feet on the pedals great.
17. At Ferrari, the pilot can activate with the little button the DRS, while he performs with his right foot is on the gas.
18. The pilot goes off the pedal and slide the left foot from the brake pedal to the DRS to the rear wing will close automatically.
19. Here again, the flow on the rear wing ...
20. Flap open, the air can flow through. The output and the air resistance are low. The car faster on the straights.
21. When the driver of the DRS-pedal closes the wing again immediately. The millisecond when changing the brakes is enough so that the flow is restored.
22. This gives the pilot for disabling DRS hands free and immediately output when braking.
23. Especially in qualifying, the trick is useful because the DRS must be enabled everywhere on the track.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Chasis_1992

adam2003
adam2003

I though you was not aloud to have pedal or switches on the drs devices had to operate without movable pieces.

Have ferrari got any updates for this up commming race?

stefan_
stefan_

siskue2005 wrote:
Slife wrote:Noob question, does the car computer prevent you from activating the DRS when you are not allowed too ? If so couldn't you just have the DRS be activated automatically when allowed ?
rule states the DRS should be ctivated by the driver manually
I think he was asking if DRS can be activated if the gap is 1s+ and if the computer wich measures the gap to the car in front and gives the "approval" after DRS detecton zone for the flap to be opened when the driver pushes the button.

In other words, if the gap is 1s+: computer says "no" to the car and DRS is not allowed to open even if the driver pushes the button / if the gap is 1s-: computer says "yes" to the car and DRS is allowed to be opened.

Is there a rule that states the fact that the DRS-activation should be a button or a liever on the steering wheel? If not, the small pedal is legal as far as I am concerned.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

phoenix1206
phoenix1206

what is the circled device on one of the sidepods? Is it for testing? #-o

phoenix1206
phoenix1206

Some pictures from this morning from f1-direct.net

f1316
f1316

It's interesting me that the front wing endplates that were tested so many times in free practice but never raced have not reappeared here. Obviously they concluded that that route simply was not working and are trying out a completely different philosophy.

Also, in some of these shots the upper flap (on the side closest to the nose) is different on one side than the other. I'm not sure if this is because they're in the midst of changing the wing or they're doing a comparison to see how the air behaves on one side compared with the other.

As always, any thoughts welcome on this.

adam2003
adam2003

Silly question but in the race when the driver is a second behind in the drs zone does he open the wing or opened automatically? i know shuts when brakes are applied (i think) but what if he is 1.001 he misreads and manually opens it....

kebab
kebab

adam2003 wrote:Silly question but in the race when the driver is a second behind in the drs zone does he open the wing or opened automatically? i know shuts when brakes are applied (i think) but what if he is 1.001 he misreads and manually opens it....
The rules require the DRS to be operated by the driver.

Spankyham

kebab wrote:
adam2003 wrote:Silly question but in the race when the driver is a second behind in the drs zone does he open the wing or opened automatically? i know shuts when brakes are applied (i think) but what if he is 1.001 he misreads and manually opens it....
The rules require the DRS to be operated by the driver.
I think 2 things have to happen for the DRS to open during a race:-
1) race control activates it (2 criteria used here - is it safe and not the first 2 laps, was the trailing car within a second when in the measuring zone)
2) the driver activates it
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari