Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
snoop1050
snoop1050

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

dont get your hopes up that they found tons of downforce at the rear so they can add more at the front to balance the car.

its probably just the wing they intend to use at singapore. apparently ferrari have a wing with the cascades back on for singapore so it makes sense

Ferraripilot

snoop1050 wrote:dont get your hopes up that they found tons of downforce at the rear so they can add more at the front to balance the car.
Actually that's precisely what they're doing. The exact same thing happened to W02 last season when they finally installed a EBD. W02 immediately ran with its full DF capable configuration at the front end, which included installing bi-level cascades which earlier in the year they could not run.

yener

mantikos wrote:
Morteza wrote:Image

Is this the old front wing?
Yes, it is the older version of the wing but not the OLDEST version
Not it isnt the old wing. It's a modifacted 3 elements front wing. Only the upper element is connected on the insides. This FW was used after race 3 or 4.
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Ferraripilot

yener wrote:
Not it isnt the old wing. It's a modifacted 3 elements front wing. Only the upper element is connected on the insides. This FW was used after race 3 or 4.
No. This wing was introduced at Silverstone and has never been run in full cascades configuration.

elf341
elf341

Ferraripilot wrote: No. This wing was introduced at Silverstone and has never been run in full cascades configuration.
Ferraripilot is right, this is definitely a post-monaco spec which has not been raced.

It is post Monaco since it does not have the main plane sharp kinks by the side of the nosecone columns (they were made smooth in silverstone)
Monaco:

And Monaco was the last time the upper cascades were used, so this wing has never been raced.

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juilQ4-f7r4[/youtube]

1:35 Onwards is the W03 Enjoy
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ferraripilot

elf341 wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:
And Monaco was the last time the upper cascades were used, so this wing has never been raced.

Correcto. This very possibly tells us they picked up perhaps 10 points of rear downforce thus allowing the cascades to be used. The EBD of last year was right around 25 points wasn't it?

Or, they were testing the difference between simply running more static rake on the car or running the same rake they have been using, only with cascades on the wing, of course in combination with their new spec EBD. I'm sure they have more metrics than their staff can go through in a reasonable timeframe to sort through now.

atanatizante

NonNewtonic wrote:According to amus the whole system is actually not complete the complete system will stall three parts of the car which includes the front and rear which however the third part is not mentioned .
On other forum people are talking that the third part is the lower RW ...
And they also are speaking about a new rear suspension design specially 1)to cope with the plume of the new Coanda exhaust and 2)to minimize the rear tyre sliding
But most of all they are speaking about a new diffuser in order to exploit the exhaust plume direction.
Does anyone found a hi-res picture from the back of the car?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ferraripilot

atanatizante wrote:
NonNewtonic wrote:According to amus the whole system is actually not complete the complete system will stall three parts of the car which includes the front and rear which however the third part is not mentioned .
On other forum people are talking that the third part is the lower RW ...
And they also are speaking about a new rear suspension design specially 1)to cope with the plume of the new Coanda exhaust and 2)to minimize the rear tyre sliding
But most of all they are speaking about a new diffuser in order to exploit the exhaust plume direction.
Does anyone found a hi-res picture from the back of the car?

I've seen a good deal of rear end pics and compared them to previous a bit, and the only new bit I can see are the half-shafts which appear to either be made of a different material or are coated with something. The pics of the diffuser I have seen don't show the turning vanes to be any different, but the diffuser is probably slightly different to the previous at a more inboard location specifically the walls facing the wheels that we cannot really see unless we were up under the thing. The EBD's job is the seal those walls so there is probably some change in that area but nothing I would consider drastic as the rest remains unchanged.

Chasis_1992

Artur Craft

Ferraripilot wrote:
snoop1050 wrote:dont get your hopes up that they found tons of downforce at the rear so they can add more at the front to balance the car.
Actually that's precisely what they're doing. The exact same thing happened to W02 last season when they finally installed a EBD. W02 immediately ran with its full DF capable configuration at the front end, which included installing bi-level cascades which earlier in the year they could not run.
I agree. If we see a fw with lot's of elements, then it's an indication of the amount of df they increased in the rear.

It seems their exhaust solution is more RBR-like?
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 627624.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 627622.jpg

Huntresa
Huntresa

Artur Craft wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:
I agree. If we see a fw with lot's of elements, then it's an indication of the amount of df they increased in the rear.

It seems their exhaust solution is more RBR-like?
http://img1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 627624.jpg
http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Mer ... 627622.jpg
Have you seen the RBR ? They run Ramp + Tunnel, this is Mclaren Exhaust.

turbof1

Huntresa wrote:
Have you seen the RBR ? They run Ramp + Tunnel, this is Mclaren Exhaust.
They all try to achieve the same goal though: pull the plume down without mixing it up with the lower airflow. Red Bull had to go that extremely far b/c they weren't able to do the latter. For McLaren and Mercedes the current construction is apperently enough to do so.
#AeroFrodo

Timstr
Timstr

A wet morning. The passive DRS re-appears today: