Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

I think a better, slightly less confusing, way to put it would be to say that race control activates DRS, the driver operates DRS, and neither can happen without the other.

raymondu999

bhallg2k wrote:I think a better, slightly less confusing, way to put it would be to say that race control activates DRS, the driver operates DRS, and neither can happen without the other.
Yeah - the race control gives the permission.

ie "Car 5 is behind Car 6, 0.888s" - race control will send a signal to allow the Car 5 DRS to open, but Car 5 might not open the DRS. Especially if the car ahead is told that Car 5 is faster than him :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ironrose
ironrose

bhallg2k wrote:I think a better, slightly less confusing, way to put it would be to say that race control activates DRS, the driver operates DRS, and neither can happen without the other.

"neither can happen without the other" - I dont think this is entirely true.

Because there are penalties listed for misuse of DRS in non DRS section of the track during the race. I think the race control activates it when the car is 1 sec behind another and there must be some sort of signal (flashing light may be) given to the driver that he is in the zone and can use DRS.. and then driver applies it.

FLuidd
FLuidd

I keep hearing on TV about the "fast starting Ferraris" and I understand that Felipe and Alonso are quite the monsters as they go off the line.

What makes the Ferrari engines accelerate faster off the line ?

amouzouris

FLuidd wrote:I keep hearing on TV about the "fast starting Ferraris" and I understand that Felipe and Alonso are quite the monsters as they go off the line.

i don't think that it is really something about their engine...its the way they manage their start procedure...the put heat into their tires and probably get the clutch bite point exactly right every time...both drivers are experienced and fully release the clutch at the right time to avoid any wheelspin and get the power on....also they both often keep the car and steering wheel quite straight until it is up to speed and then change direction

no one knows really if they've got some sort of launch control within the limits of what is aloud with current regulations...

F1.Ru

amouzouris wrote:
FLuidd wrote:I keep hearing on TV about the "fast starting Ferraris" and I understand that Felipe and Alonso are quite the monsters as they go off the line.

i don't think that it is really something about their engine...its the way they manage their start procedure...the put heat into their tires and probably get the clutch bite point exactly right every time...both drivers are experienced and fully release the clutch at the right time to avoid any wheelspin and get the power on....also they both often keep the car and steering wheel quite straight until it is up to speed and then change direction

no one knows really if they've got some sort of launch control within the limits of what is aloud with current regulations...
+1 and there are something more like their gear setting, clutch point setting, but not any launch control as IIRC it is prohibited by rules to use any means of additional aid to start or launching the car after they banned the traction control...
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Cuky

also, there was a video this or last season where an engineer explained functions of steering wheel. He also listed some of settings drivers change according to the instructions from their race engineer. The amount of settings is huge so they have a switch at the bottom of the wheel which, when set in "START" position changes all those settings to pre-programed ones. Once they are off from start they set that switch into neutral position and settings are back to ones determined by all the switches on the wheel.

F1.Ru

Young Driver Testing concluded in Magny-Cours, Ferrari did not seems to brought any major development, but they did get huge testing mileage on the programme on which they are working. It seems really surprising caz until the singapore race they will not get any chance to test their new upgrade. Ferrari completed 81+165+138 laps in this testing wouldn't it their perfect chances for fine tuning their upgrade package.....................

Though OT but Mercedes is mostly following the Ferrari's F2012 exhaust concept and add an additional cooling intek with two already their in the snorkel, who knows may be they are trying to replicate E20's DDRS concept.

Most probably Ferrari is working on its tire degradation issues caz a lot of attention is given in the rear of the car and rear wheel with lot of sensor and cameras...... Front Wing itself is new for surely but what are others #-o

ten_marco
ten_marco

F1.Ru wrote:Young Driver Testing concluded in Magny-Cours, Ferrari did not seems to brought any major development, but they did get huge testing mileage on the programme on which they are working. It seems really surprising caz until the singapore race they will not get any chance to test their new upgrade. Ferrari completed 81+165+138 laps in this testing wouldn't it their perfect chances for fine tuning their upgrade package.....................

Though OT but Mercedes is mostly following the Ferrari's F2012 exhaust concept and add an additional cooling intek with two already their in the snorkel, who knows may be they are trying to replicate E20's DDRS concept.

Most probably Ferrari is working on its tire degradation issues caz a lot of attention is given in the rear of the car and rear wheel with lot of sensor and cameras...... Front Wing itself is new for surely but what are others #-o
Ferrari took nothing very significant for Magny Cours. Some changes to the front wing and nothing else. The wind tunnel is working full steam at Maranello for the updates of Singapore. In singapore we change the front wing definitive style Mclaren, Rear Wing, Exhaust, diffuser and floor.

:wink:

F1.Ru

ten_marco wrote:
F1.Ru wrote:Most probably Ferrari is working on its tire degradation issues caz a lot of attention is given in the rear of the car and rear wheel with lot of sensor and cameras...... Front Wing itself is new for surely but what are others #-o
Ferrari took nothing very significant for Magny Cours. Some changes to the front wing and nothing else. The wind tunnel is working full steam at Maranello for the updates of Singapore. In singapore we change the front wing definitive style Mclaren, Rear Wing, Exhaust, diffuser and floor.

:wink:
Ha haha sure i know that, they are considered as the base upgrade or rather say usual modification. But actually i am asking about what might be the newest philosophical changes that everybody are expecting from Singapore GP as Ferrari and Alonso also said that they are coming..... Expect to see major changes around sidepod, rear end and may be a Mecca styled front and rear adjustable brake ducts which allows the team to influence the temperature of the car's tyers for better tyers degradation management......... :D

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

zyphro
zyphro

Hail22 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXqFptNW1E[/youtube]
I wonder what's going on there :P .

Spankyham

F1.Ru wrote:
amouzouris wrote:

+1 and there are something more like their gear setting, clutch point setting, but not any launch control as IIRC it is prohibited by rules to use any means of additional aid to start or launching the car after they banned the traction control...
I think all teams have similar start procedures described above. I feel the real difference lies in Ferrari's KERS and our drivers. Both Felipe and Fernando have proven themselves capable of very good starts. I feel our KERS is superior in that it can deliver a little earlier/faster than most other teams. If you look at the start in Monza, you can see Felipe actually makes up a lot more ground on Hamilton towards the end of the straight, and I think that happened because his KERS was active and working faster. In general I think we have seen that the longer the lead to the first corner the better we start and that's because of our KERS.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

SiLo

Massa made a slightly better start than Hamilton, but they both pulled away similarly. Most of his ground gained was by being brave into the first corner. I think he also got a tow from Hamilton for a bit? Not sure though.

I'm interested to see if they can keep pulling the car up into positions that it sometimes shouldn't be in!
Felipe Baby!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Obviously hoping the Singapore updates work. As far as updates go I can see a new FW & possibly RW as well. I think if they update the sidepods(probably already happened since Spain) it will be hard to tell. The new nose that was photographed this week alongside new pylons are a step in a different direction. I know the camera angle was wonky, but I think that was a new stepped nose, similar to the Lotus style(step) with the cameras similar to SFI's.

Will be interesting to see what updates make the cut I think the F2012 has improved its top speed for sure as well as mechanical grip & DF on lower speed turns but the F2012 needs something to keep pace with the MP4-27. Fora Ferrari!