Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ten_marco
ten_marco

Re: Ferrari F2012

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Obviously hoping the Singapore updates work. As far as updates go I can see a new FW & possibly RW as well. I think if they update the sidepods(probably already happened since Spain) it will be hard to tell. The new nose that was photographed this week alongside new pylons are a step in a different direction. I know the camera angle was wonky, but I think that was a new stepped nose, similar to the Lotus style(step) with the cameras similar to SFI's.

Will be interesting to see what updates make the cut I think the F2012 has improved its top speed for sure as well as mechanical grip & DF on lower speed turns but the F2012 needs something to keep pace with the MP4-27. Fora Ferrari!
I think they made the cut in FW are a part of what they will do in the new wing. I think we just wanted to test some things, but I'm sure the new parts will only be seen in Singapore. They still need to play those parts that were testing in Valencia to Germany. Not used before because the data from wind tunnel was not hitting the track. Pat Fry said the problem was solved and now the parts are more reliable. Pat Fry also said that the F2012 uses the downforce differently. Surely Ferrai will be in the hunt MP-427.
:wink:

raymondu999

SiLo wrote:I'm interested to see if they can keep pulling the car up into positions that it sometimes shouldn't be in!
I'm quite sure that in Monza - they were probably quickest in qualifying trim, and at least 2nd (behind Perez and Hamilton who I have as a tie) in race pace
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

The new wing pylons look to be a solution (or experiment) for whatever the team investigated in Hungary around the side pod inlets. The cutouts will allow more air to flow under the nose without the more pronounced Venturi effect caused by the former pylons. All things being equal, that should theoretically reduce drag and allow for more volume, but at the cost of reduced downforce.
Forza wrote:Image
Hungary

Venturi effect

raymondu999

I'm half not understanding you here. Which objects are you saying does the constriction and expansion for the venturi effect?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

Sorry about that. The pylons are angled and the underside of the nose slopes downward.

Given the FloVis seen on the Hungary pictures, perhaps the pylons were somewhat choking flow to the rear of the car. If that's the case, the cutouts should help.

NaZzO

Ferrari using clever foot activated DRS:

Source: TotalF1.com
http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/4285 ... DRS_pedal/
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

fynrd1
fynrd1

bhallg2k wrote:The new wing pylons look to be a solution (or experiment) for whatever the team investigated in Hungary around the side pod inlets. The cutouts will allow more air to flow under the nose without the more pronounced Venturi effect caused by the former pylons. All things being equal, that should theoretically reduce drag and allow for more volume, but at the cost of reduced downforce.
Forza wrote:Image
Hungary

Venturi effect
I think they reducing the volume now by slighty drecreasing the venturieffect. Maybe it creates a more cleaner airflow below the lower rods. But I could be wrong about that. The low pressure area below the nose cone is not isolated anyway, so i think they experimenting by not to disrupt the airflow in that area to much.

fynrd1
fynrd1

SiLo wrote:Massa made a slightly better start than Hamilton, but they both pulled away similarly. Most of his ground gained was by being brave into the first corner. I think he also got a tow from Hamilton for a bit? Not sure though.

I'm interested to see if they can keep pulling the car up into positions that it sometimes shouldn't be in!
The Ferrari's have absolutely the best starts and best pace in the first round. I think this advantage correlates directly with the fast tyre warmup of the car. In racing they say, that you cant win the race in the first round/corner, but Alonso increases his chances in winning the driver championship in this area for sure.

F1.Ru

Spankyham wrote: I think all teams have similar start procedures described above. I feel the real difference lies in Ferrari's KERS and our drivers. Both Felipe and Fernando have proven themselves capable of very good starts. I feel our KERS is superior in that it can deliver a little earlier/faster than most other teams. If you look at the start in Monza, you can see Felipe actually makes up a lot more ground on Hamilton towards the end of the straight, and I think that happened because his KERS was active and working faster. In general I think we have seen that the longer the lead to the first corner the better we start and that's because of our KERS.
It is widely believed that Mercedes KERS is the best in the grid, for which they can even sustain sometimes the attack from a drs opened car........... Ferrari's KERS is the 2nd powerful KERS in the Grid. But Ferrari is doing very good in setting up their car for the start and also after start what i read that they can quickly change the start setting to the race setting.........
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Bomber_Pilot

Are there any pictures of the new front wings that were supposedly tested yesterday?

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

F1.Ru wrote:
Spankyham wrote: I think all teams have similar start procedures described above. I feel the real difference lies in Ferrari's KERS and our drivers. Both Felipe and Fernando have proven themselves capable of very good starts. I feel our KERS is superior in that it can deliver a little earlier/faster than most other teams. If you look at the start in Monza, you can see Felipe actually makes up a lot more ground on Hamilton towards the end of the straight, and I think that happened because his KERS was active and working faster. In general I think we have seen that the longer the lead to the first corner the better we start and that's because of our KERS.
It is widely believed that Mercedes KERS is the best in the grid, for which they can even sustain sometimes the attack from a drs opened car........... Ferrari's KERS is the 2nd powerful KERS in the Grid. But Ferrari is doing very good in setting up their car for the start and also after start what i read that they can quickly change the start setting to the race setting.........
Perhaps in 2009. But now ? We don't know.. Why Ferrari KERS is today inferior than Mercedes KERS ? I failed to remember a KERS failure at Ferrari since 2011

raymondu999

The performances differences between different (note: normal, as opposed to the mickey mouse KERS of RBR) KERS units are negligible IMO. The real differentiator comes from cooling & packaging requirements, weight, etc.

If one car's KERS can stave off a DRS attack, others should be able to as well
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bhall
bhall

fynrd1 wrote:I think they reducing the volume now by slighty drecreasing the venturieffect. Maybe it creates a more cleaner airflow below the lower rods. But I could be wrong about that. The low pressure area below the nose cone is not isolated anyway, so i think they experimenting by not to disrupt the airflow in that area to much.
If they wanted to reduce air flow - which, by the way, you rarely see in F1 - they'd do it by enlarging the pylons or increasing their AoA. Just follow the path downstream to where the FloVis appears to show turbulent flow around the side pod inlets. I think the purpose of the cutouts is pretty easy to discern.

f300v10
f300v10

Lots of good hi-rez shots of some of the new wings here:

http://www.f1-direct.com/formule1-ferra ... o-f1=13066

The most obvious new wing is a higher downforce version of the cascade-less FW used at Spa and Monza. It appears to be the same basic design, but with a larger adjustable flap, and slightly different endplate. Ferrari seems to be following Mercedes here, who switched to a cascade-less design earlier in the season.

They tested this new front wing with what appeared to be the 'max downforce Monaco' rear wing, which doesn't have the v cuts in the trailing edge, and has the older style endplates. So my guess is they will run this combination in Singapore, where they need max downforce and top speed is not much of an issue.

Here is a good shot showing what appears to be two copies of the new cascade-less wing. Not sure what is different between them:

f300v10
f300v10

Here is the car in 'max downforce' trim:

f1-direct.net also reported the believe Ferrari tested a modified version of the exhaust, but I have not seen any photos that show any outwardly visible differences in the exhaust.