Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

GSBellew wrote:
elf341 wrote:Another interesting thing they did earlier with the DDRS was to block off the left duct opening:
All the pictures I've seen so far have only had the two intakes on the right & one on the left, like this:
So unless I've missed the ones with two inlets each side it looks like they are just getting ready to move to two if needs be.[/quote]

Your second pic you don't see the second one due to the angle of the car, please go to a previous page
Last edited by Richard on 19 Sep 2012, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post

GSBellew
GSBellew

My mistake :oops:

Looking back they blanked one side off back in Spa too, so it must be a method of tuning it.

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

I'm actually quite surprise with the change in the engine mapping of the team as it is being restricted by the FIA where the difference in the engine mapping could not exceed 2% from the reference map. BTW do any one know how they define the 2% difference?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

NonNewtonic wrote:I'm actually quite surprise with the change in the engine mapping of the team as it is being restricted by the FIA where the difference in the engine mapping could not exceed 2% from the reference map. BTW do any one know how they define the 2% difference?
Two percent of the Engine maps used in the first 4 races where the variation was upto 30% of the reference map.
Mind you being that Mercedes HPP provide the Engine to Mclaren, who were at the time running with the 30% map.. they must have just got hold of THAT map and bolted it on

siskue2005

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:
NonNewtonic wrote:I'm actually quite surprise with the change in the engine mapping of the team as it is being restricted by the FIA where the difference in the engine mapping could not exceed 2% from the reference map. BTW do any one know how they define the 2% difference?
Two percent of the Engine maps used in the first 4 races where the variation was upto 30% of the reference map.
Mind you being that Mercedes HPP provide the Engine to Mclaren, who were at the time running with the 30% map.. they must have just got hold of THAT map and bolted it on
yup that is probably the best explanation for the engine map
so same can be applied for lotus works team

Timstr
Timstr

Apparently they are allowed to use the McLaren (or Force India) map as a reference:
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/245514247763816448

turbof1

Timstr wrote:Apparently they are allowed to use the McLaren (or Force India) map as a reference:
https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/245514247763816448
Well that changes things ALOT. So teams are allowed to use the reference maps from all the teams with the same engine. I smell a huge hole in the regulations. You could spread the mapping much more then 2% by this if all teams with the same engine work together.
Lets take an example: Renault is supplying 4 teams with engines, meaning there are 4 different reference maps that can be used. Lets also assume there is 1 big engine map, then those 4 teams can deviate from it, in a continuous manner, in this order:
-team1: -2%/2%
-team2: 2%/6%
-team3: 6%/10%
-team4: 10%/14%
-->all teams can deviate between -2% to 14% and can select a map at any point between that range, because they are allowed to use 4 different reference maps.

Teams could deviate even further, but then it would mean you are no longer deviating from it in a continuous manner.
It will be interesting to see how teams are going to select their reference maps for next year.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

I don't think that's how it works turbo - I think the teams need to choose 1 single reference map, for use in all the remaining races. So the basis (from which 2% deviation is allowed) does not change, as only maps used in the first four races are allowed to be choose as a base (that's Australia Malaysia China Bahrain)

Mercedes has the added benefit of work expeience with the other Mercedes teams, and so probably could choose from their maps
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

@raymondu999
That's how I see it also.

On a side note though I personally think that limiting the engine maps is just one of those petite moves by the FIA which kill the real competition in F1.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

elf341
elf341

I agree with Dragonfly, it seems to benefit a team which may have prioritised exhaust development in the first 4 races, and effectively allows one team to use a certain technology but prevent another team from trying to develop that same edge.
E.g. suppose that Marussia turns up to Cosworth with a wad of cash asking them to develop the technology, it appears that they would wholly prevented from doing so by the rules.

Huntresa
Huntresa

turbof1 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Have you seen the RBR ? They run Ramp + Tunnel, this is Mclaren Exhaust.
They all try to achieve the same goal though: pull the plume down without mixing it up with the lower airflow. Red Bull had to go that extremely far b/c they weren't able to do the latter. For McLaren and Mercedes the current construction is apperently enough to do so.

And i never said it wasnt to achieve the same goal, i just responded to his saying RBR like, which it isnt. And if he meant what you say it should be Sauber like.

Cocles

siskue2005

so the shark fin was there for FIA's new driver identification system NOT a performance update

Although the W03 also appeared with a shark fin on the engine cover for the final day at Magny-Cours, AUTOSPORT has learned that this was not a performance development aimed to be raced this year but is instead part of an FIA-backed programme to help improve driver identification for fans.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102642