Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F2012

if you enlarge the above photo...you can see a new higher downforce monkey seat...e new higher downforce rear wing with the v-cutouts removed and a slightly modified leading edge of the main rw flap...and...a very interesting thing...a cascade-less fw while testing the max downforce configuration

siskue2005

amouzouris wrote:if you enlarge the above photo...you can see a new higher downforce monkey seat...e new higher downforce rear wing with the v-cutouts removed and a slightly modified leading edge of the main rw flap...and...a very interesting thing...a cascade-less fw while testing the max downforce configuration[
yup, why would that be like that?
Just when everyone laughed at Merc for their cascade less wing and specifically saying it islacking rear downfoce
now Ferrari are running without it, didnt Ferrari run without the cascades at valencia and monaco??
Last edited by siskue2005 on 14 Sep 2012, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

no..both in Monaco and Valencia ferrari ran with the cascades on!

f1316
f1316

siskue2005 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:if you enlarge the above photo...you can see a new higher downforce monkey seat...e new higher downforce rear wing with the v-cutouts removed and a slightly modified leading edge of the main rw flap...and...a very interesting thing...a cascade-less fw while testing the max downforce configuration[/quote]
yup, why would that be like that?
Just when everyone laughed at Merc for their cascade less wing and specifically saying it islacking rear downfoce
now Ferrari are running without it, didnt Ferrari run without the cascades at valencia and monaco??
Could this be a Singapore set-up test? If the rear wing is the Monaco wing, it would fit that this would be used here. And if they can find a way of creating higher downforce without the cascades, it seems like it would produce a cleaner airflow, no?

On the other hand, they may think that having a "pointer" front end could be useful at Singapore.

f300v10
f300v10

f1316 wrote:
Could this be a Singapore set-up test? If the rear wing is the Monaco wing, it would fit that this would be used here. And if they can find a way of creating higher downforce without the cascades, it seems like it would produce a cleaner airflow, no?

On the other hand, they may think that having a "pointer" front end could be useful at Singapore.
My impression is they spent a fair amount of time running with the car in hi-downforce mode, using the traditional with FW with the cascade, and the new one without it, doing comparisons between the two.

jonaliew
jonaliew

Interesting. F1 direct mentioned that there was a "flat bottom" of sorts that they were covering up (I apologize if this fuels any unwanted/unnecessary rumors).

It is interesting to see they are testing a cascadeless FW and trying to generate a better or maximal DF. Prolly they found something that improves DF in terms of airflow or they are comparing it with data from monaco? Since monaco is similar to Singapore in terms of it being a street tracks circuits, etc.

I don't think we have seen the full picture of what is to come (hopefully much more significant). I can't wait for my home race and what the Tifosi have to bring there. I am really hoping we get something out of SG and the upgrades work well enough for Alonso to score maximal points. Of course it would be a plus if we moved up the constructors as well.

amouzouris

another thing i find really interesting is that ferrari never seems to run gurney flaps on their front wings...we've seen Red Bull do it...we've seen macca do it...but we've never seen ferrari do it...

astracrazy
astracrazy

i would say perhaps gaining data for 2014 (as there will be reduced cascades?) but seems a bit too early.

Spankyham

Just watched SFRN #16 and, I was really surprised at the start to see a section called Wiring Loom. Then, when it finally came up at the end mind you, I was stunned. They still use a wiring loom. 2Klms of cable :shock:

Are we the only car using a loom?

And why on earth don't they use an intelligent cabling system and replace most of the 2Klms with a single cable about the length of the car? In the video all they said they were connecting was about 130 sensors and 40 actuators to about 20 units (I'm guessing that's some sort of control/communications units).
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

timbo
timbo

Spankyham wrote:Just watched SFRN #16 and, I was really surprised at the start to see a section called Wiring Loom. Then, when it finally came up at the end mind you, I was stunned. They still use a wiring loom. 2Klms of cable :shock:

And why on earth don't they use an intelligent cabling system and replace most of the 2Klms with a single cable about the length of the car? In the video all they said they were connecting was about 130 sensors and 40 actuators to about 20 units (I'm guessing that's some sort of control/communications units).
Because most of it isn't data.

Spankyham

timbo wrote:
Spankyham wrote:Just watched SFRN #16 and, I was really surprised at the start to see a section called Wiring Loom. Then, when it finally came up at the end mind you, I was stunned. They still use a wiring loom. 2Klms of cable :shock:

Because most of it isn't data.
Whatever you are communicating it is mostly with sensors (I'd think mostly data) and actuators, these to me along with the "units" (assuming control or comms units) would be ideal candidates for intelligent cabling. Even if it wasn't all data intelligent cabling, to me, seem obvious instead of a loom.

timbo
timbo

Spankyham wrote:Whatever you are communicating it is mostly with sensors (I'd think mostly data) and actuators, these to me along with the "units" (assuming control or comms units) would be ideal candidates for intelligent cabling. Even if it wasn't all data intelligent cabling, to me, seem obvious instead of a loom.
Well, they were using digital data transfer and multiplexing since late-90's. If your sensors are in various places you still need a wire to go to each one, and what if you really need to transfer power?
I guess they are clever enough to reduce that weight as low as possible. And actually, for quite a while weight reduction became less of a priority. So when looking at performance vs reliability vs cost vs ease of modification the optimum might be not the "best" system.

Spankyham

timbo wrote:Well, they were using digital data transfer and multiplexing since late-90's. If your sensors are in various places you still need a wire to go to each one, and what if you really need to transfer power?
I guess they are clever enough to reduce that weight as low as possible. And actually, for quite a while weight reduction became less of a priority. So when looking at performance vs reliability vs cost vs ease of modification the optimum might be not the "best" system.
Hi Timbo :) I don't really understand the reference to digital data transfers and multiplexing or how that relates to using (or not using) smart cabling?

In relation to your question on power, again seems very straight forward to me, simply supply it, where possible (and seeming as we are talking mostly about sensors etc) supply it via the smart cabling :)

Clearly they are clever and have managed to get 2Klms of cable down to the lowest possible weight. Having said that, if this was a workbench in my office and we had to setup 100 plus sensors etc and I had to loom it or use smart cabling, I'd choose the intelligent cabling method. If you've ever worked with a messy loom or any spaghetti cabling and had to work on a problem you'd soon learn the value getting rid of the loom. Also, remember with smart cabling you have monitoring tools and remote management is possible.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Spanky this is Ferrari we're talking about. A company who spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year to race in F1. It's not like they're penny pinching or anything. It's obviously the best method to achieve the desired results. I'm sure if they'd use different cabling if they could. Anyhow I wonder if other teams use the same cables & loom or is it just Ferrari. I'm going to ask TheFifthDriver on Friday & see if I get an answer.

bhall
bhall

FIA wrote:8.2.1 All components of the engine, gearbox, clutch, differential and KERS in addition to all associated actuators must be controlled by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which has been manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to a specification determined by the FIA.

The ECU may only be used with FIA approved software and may only be connected to the control system wiring loom, sensors and actuators in a manner specified by the FIA.

Additional information regarding the ECU software versions and setup may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.
I've found that, as a rule, if you find something senseless on an F1 car, it's usually because the FIA requires it to be senseless.