Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spankyham

Re: Ferrari F2012

Thanks CX and bhallg2k (love the explanation). At least there is an explanation as to why they still use looms.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

marcush.
marcush.

as far as I understand ,Mclaren electronics compoemnts are very much using Can and flexray to reduce the sheer mass of sensor cabling .Still all the intelligence willstill need power cables -you can´t transmit Amperage via CAN,do you?
But I agree the looks of looms is jut old style...Beru F1 had tried to promote something else ..but i think they just did not go the full length in their process so it does not look like it went anywhere..apart from Porsches RS Spyder ....

Spankyham

marcush. wrote:as far as I understand ,Mclaren electronics compoemnts are very much using Can and flexray to reduce the sheer mass of sensor cabling .Still all the intelligence willstill need power cables -you can´t transmit Amperage via CAN,do you?
But I agree the looks of looms is jut old style...Beru F1 had tried to promote something else ..but i think they just did not go the full length in their process so it does not look like it went anywhere..apart from Porsches RS Spyder ....
You definitely can deliver power via smart cabling solutions. It's very commonplace eg PoE (power over ethernet), lots of basic hubs and switches now support this.

timbo
timbo

Spankyham wrote:You definitely can deliver power via smart cabling solutions. It's very commonplace eg PoE (power over ethernet), lots of basic hubs and switches now support this.
How much power? What about timings? Remember it is an F1 car, EVERYTHING is time critical.
You don't want DRS to interrupt your ignition don't you?

Spankyham

timbo wrote:
Spankyham wrote:You definitely can deliver power via smart cabling solutions. It's very commonplace eg PoE (power over ethernet), lots of basic hubs and switches now support this.
How much power? What about timings? Remember it is an F1 car, EVERYTHING is time critical.
You don't want DRS to interrupt your ignition don't you?
The ability to mix power and data on a cabling system is common. I've mentioned PoE, but, there have been systems around for a long time that, for example enable existing household (or office) power cables to also carry data. Mixing the two, timing and having enough power would not be an issue IMO.

But, as bhallg2k has already pointed out to us, there is a regulatory requirement to use a loom.

Although in thinking about that, if you applied some Red Bull thinking (stretching possible grey areas), there really are some possible ways around that while still complying with that particular regulation. Still, I guess as CX pointed out, our engineers have probably already investigated this anyway.

bhall
bhall

I meant to post this, too. (I'm not exactly known for meticulousness.)

Code: Select all

8.2.3 The control system wiring loom connectivity must be approved by the FIA.

All wiring looms must be built to ensure that each control sensor and each control actuator connected to the ECU is electrically isolated from logging-only sensors connected to either the ECU or a team data acquisition unit.

In general, there must be no active or passive electronic component in the control loom. Exceptions (e.g. termination resistors) must be approved by the FIA before use.

Additional wiring guidelines may be found in the Appendix to these regulations.

8.4.2 Any data acquisition system, telemetry system or associated sensors additional to those provided by the ECU and ADR must be physically separate and electrically isolated from any control electronics with the exception of :

- The primary regulated voltage supply.

- The car system ground.

- Communication links to the ECU, telemetry unit and ADR.

- Power supplies, provided they are not used to power any control electronics, control sensors or actuators.

- Time synchronisation lines.

- Engine synchronisation lines.

- An umbilical loom whose connector will remain disconnected when the car is moving.

No junction box or break-out box may be shared between the ECU system and a team data acquisition system.

2) On‐car wiring

In addition to requirements listed in Article 8 of these regulations:

a. The connectivity of the control loom to the FIA Standard ECU is defined in SCR3987_xx
Electrical Specification by the list of required FIA inputs and outputs. If any FIA Standard ECU
input or output is not being used for the function designated to it in SCR3987_xx Electrical

Specification then it will be configured in the ECU’s FIA application as being not fitted (inputs),
or not used by strategy (outputs).

Spare inputs or inputs flagged as ‘Not fitted’ may be used to connect extra sensors for
monitoring.

The usage of any outputs which are operated by the ‘Spare Output’ processing must be
confirmed with the FIA.

b. All wiring looms must be built to ensure that each control sensor and each control actuator
connected to the FIA Standard ECU is electrically isolated from logging‐only sensors connected
to either the FIA Standard ECU or a team data acquisition unit. The following guidelines should
be used to achieve an acceptable level of electrical isolation:

- Follow the recommendations listed in SCR3999_xx Electrical Installation Manual,

- Any measurement of resistance from the TAG310 main harness analogue ground
connections to any analogue ground pin on any harness should not exceed 1 ohm,

- With the exception of the IGP supply, regulated power supplies may not be shared
between control and logging‐only sensors.

c. The teams can decide which materials to use for the wiring looms and where to place
connection breaks.

Modifications to the electrical harness to interface the Lemo connectors on the HIU to other types of
connectors are accepted by the FIA with the following conditions:

d. The interface must not include any passive or active electronic component.

e. The interface will be homologated as part of the electrical harness.

f. The installation of the HIU and connector interface on the car must allow the FIA sticker to be
visible on the HIU.

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Pierce89

alogoc wrote:F2012 development route!

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars ... f2012-663/
Nice Link! Thanks!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

alogoc
alogoc

test in France
as our friend from Spain would say:
el alerón "simple" and monkey seat "máxima carga"
THE F2012!

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!

alogoc
alogoc

can any one translate please!

i only heard that the new front wing that was tested is a success and some of the parts came on friday last minute and there was no time for proper testing of them!
THE F2012!

Gilles 27

New Wing and Diffusor Package for the Singapore GP and the differences since the Summer Break, this in summary the whole article talk about.

ecapox

Cant translate until i get home. Work blocks tinypic.

alogoc
alogoc

what is this sensor?
THE F2012!

ecapox

New front wing.
New floor.
New foot activated drs switch.

Those are the basics. They also talk a little about the holes on the sides of the front wing and how they have gone from 4 holes to just two.