Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zyphro
zyphro

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Q: Can you tell us what new parts?
NR: Ah, here it gets interesting… (laughs) New exhausts, for example. That should help with more contact pressure and hence support the aero side. I tried it on Monday in the simulator and that was really kind of strange, because you do your simulator work and then you get told that your engineers will put the new exhausts on the ‘virtual’ car. They type some numbers into the computer and there you go - the new parts are on the car! And you really feel it - it is just like in reality how the car has changed. It is unbelievable what you can do these days. You can simulate more side wind, you can simulate tyre degradation - and you really do feel it.

Ferraripilot

elf341 wrote:Ferraripilot, can you point out what you mean by the 3rd element curved upwards?

This is the pre-silverstone wing, that first emerged at Canada: (link )

The main difference I see from the Canada photo is in the paint, both the small vertical fin just inside of the end plate and the bottom of the upper flap adjust painted black instead of silver (which it now is). Apart from the paint, it looks like the same front wing to me.

Thank you for posting the pic, my mistake, it is indeed the Canada spec wing they have there today. They must be running more overall rake.

Have a look at the early front wing pics and note the 3rd wing element is not attached to the main plane.

kooleracer
kooleracer

zyphro wrote:Q: Can you tell us what new parts?
NR: Ah, here it gets interesting… (laughs) New exhausts, for example. That should help with more contact pressure and hence support the aero side. I tried it on Monday in the simulator and that was really kind of strange, because you do your simulator work and then you get told that your engineers will put the new exhausts on the ‘virtual’ car. They type some numbers into the computer and there you go - the new parts are on the car! And you really feel it - it is just like in reality how the car has changed. It is unbelievable what you can do these days. You can simulate more side wind, you can simulate tyre degradation - and you really do feel it.
Where can i read the whole interview? formula1.com found it!
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

f1316
f1316

I think the reason they moved away from the Canada-spec front wing was because the greater downforce it created unbalanced the car. So they removed downforce from the front for better overall balance.

But now, they believe their new exhaust will give them better rear downforce and, as an added benefit, they can reattach these downforce creating elements on the front for better balance.

That exhaust therefore could have a triple effect:
- Better rear downforce
- The ability to run more front downforce
- Better tyre management

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

zyphro
zyphro

f1316 wrote:I think the reason they moved away from the Canada-spec front wing was because the greater downforce it created unbalanced the car. So they removed downforce from the front for better overall balance.

But now, they believe their new exhaust will give them better rear downforce and, as an added benefit, they can reattach these downforce creating elements on the front for better balance.

That exhaust therefore could have a triple effect:
- Better rear downforce
- The ability to run more front downforce
- Better tyre management
I agree.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Last edited by Owen.C93 on 20 Sep 2012, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

elf341
elf341

So it appears they have put the old-style monkey seat on. Good.

marcush.
marcush.

Could it be they decided to discard the DDRS some time ago as it was identified as the source of the inconsistency and as an effect they lost their qualy edge?
This would explain a lot of their latest dip in performance

The floor looks like it tries to pick up the flow of the exhaust with that downward slope (visible shadow in front of the tyre )

turbof1

marcush. wrote:Could it be they decided to discard the DDRS some time ago as it was identified as the source of the inconsistency and as an effect they lost their qualy edge?

The floor looks like it tries to pick up the flow of the exhaust with that downward slope (visible shadow in front of the tyre )
Well, I can't tell about previous races, but I can't notice any ductwork inside the RW endplates. They are flat. Looks like they aren't running it this race atleast.
#AeroFrodo

mantikos
mantikos

They have the internal pipes for the DDRS, they also have the 2 holes up front...

As far as the floor goes...very different than the previous version and very interesting too

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

anything different here?

superdread
superdread

turbof1 wrote:
marcush. wrote:Could it be they decided to discard the DDRS some time ago as it was identified as the source of the inconsistency and as an effect they lost their qualy edge?

Well, I can't tell about previous races, but I can't notice any ductwork inside the RW endplates. They are flat. Looks like they aren't running it this race atleast.
What I notice is the lack of center-wing DRS mechanism, and a suspiciously thick part of the endplates where it is met by the upper flap. So this would point to an endplate integrated DRS mechanism.

Otherwise the endplates are almost completely flat.

Ferraripilot

Lotus E20 and W03 both use that same type of semi-separated gurney at the top of their diffuser. Ferrari on the other hand have this beautifully shaped and upheld seperated gurney which has to be worth a tenth as it's just a massive bit not to mention incredibly well-formed. While this is a step in the right direction for W03s back end, I'm wondering how much headway it's going to give them against the still fundamentally-flawed F2012 which Ferrari have managed to make lemonade with. W03 certainly has a laminar flow advantage over the F2012 with W03s much lower and smaller sidepods particularly in the EBD area, but Ferrari have taken developing F2012s back end to another level compared to W03s still relative albeit very clean simplicity.

fiohaa
fiohaa

Ferraripilot wrote: While this is a step in the right direction for W03s back end, I'm wondering how much headway it's going to give them against the still fundamentally-flawed F2012 which Ferrari have managed to make lemonade with.
i dont understand how you can say the f2012 is 'fundamentally flawed' after being a quick car for most of the season..fundamentally. IF it wasn't a good enough car....Alonso would not be scoring points with it. You can be the best driver in the world, without the car youre not much.

so please, im asking as a genuine question, why do you think the f2012 is still 'fundamentally flawed'. if anything has been fundamentally flawed, its arguably been the Merc, which has consistently demonstrated its high tyre wear...all season.