COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

mantikos
mantikos

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

So is the parking free or just the shuttle free?

Mr Alcatraz

Q. Is the shuttle service free?

A. It is if you have a ticket for the race. You will be asked to show your ticket before you board the shuttle.

Q. Is there a fee for parking at these shuttle locations?

A. Circuit of The Americas is offering complimentary shuttle service to from the park-and-ride locations to the Circuit. Please note: Some parking lots near shuttle pick-up/drop-off locations may charge for parking.

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/transportation
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

OK, I know it's just a video game. Who knows how it will play out in real life, but here are some impressions I have after "driving" COTA for about 2 hours tonight on the xbox:

- The esses are very tough at first but I'm starting to get the rhythm. Very unforgiving.
- T1 is a bitch because of the way it flattens out at the top.
- In race conditions , cars tend to really bunch up at 3 & 4.
- T11 not too bad once u get the feel...but its VERY unforgiving if you're just a tad off. Same in some other places.
- I regularly overtook in 1, 9, 11, 12, 20. Even some in 13 & 14. Who knows if it will be like that in real life, but at the very least there will be lots of overtaking as people make mistakes.
- 15-18 = awesome.
- Hard to see apex or beyond it on 19 in the game.
- IMHO, there will be intense action all the way around this circuit in the early laps.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

FW17

hairy_scotsman wrote:OK, I know it's just a video game. Who knows how it will play out in real life, but here are some impressions I have after "driving" COTA for about 2 hours tonight on the xbox:

- T1 is a bitch because of the way it flattens out at the top.

- T11 not too bad once u get the feel...but its VERY unforgiving if you're just a tad off. Same in some other places.
Hairpin bends are so so boring, does not matter how you pen it.

Nando
Nando

You need a laserscanned version to make an accurate assessment on the track layout. (apart from driving the real thing)
People might get the layout semi-correct but they will never get the bumps right or elevations.

(CAD data works as well. Probably the best)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Nando wrote:You need a laserscanned version to make an accurate assessment on the track layout. (apart from driving the real thing)
People might get the layout semi-correct but they will never get the bumps right or elevations.

(CAD data works as well. Probably the best)
Oh, no doubt. It's just a video game, and the elevations in the game aren't as dramatic as in real life, etc. Still, there are some things you can tell by playing it, imho. It will be interesting to see how accurate the game is when the race rolls around....and when I drive the track in December.

mclaren777

Still no mention of support races. :cry:

Nando
Nando

hairy_scotsman wrote:Oh, no doubt. It's just a video game, and the elevations in the game aren't as dramatic as in real life, etc. Still, there are some things you can tell by playing it, imho. It will be interesting to see how accurate the game is when the race rolls around....and when I drive the track in December.
Yea for sure you can get a general idea about the track. Lucky you in December :)
we need some video of that :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pretty cool F1 2012 wet lap here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp90gck1KlU[/youtube]

beelsebob
beelsebob

hairy_scotsman wrote:Pretty cool F1 2012 wet lap here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp90gck1KlU[/youtube]
Meh, cut several corners, would be an illegal lap.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

beelsebob wrote:Meh, cut several corners, would be an illegal lap.
Yeah, as I pointed out to him. I was referring more to the look of the game with the weather, etc.

grano123
grano123

strad wrote:Man...Now this might sway me... Louise Goodman...be still my beating heart. lol :roll:
Don't miss out! See racing legend, Mario Andretti, meet and snap pictures with racing legend, Gil de Ferran and TV presenter and journalist, Louise Goodman and receive an autographed picture.

With Official Circuit of The Americas Experiences' Ticket Packages in the Main Grandstand and Turn 1, you will get access to the exclusive Party Venue featuring these racing legends, food, premium bar, premium seating, premium views, premium experiences, accommodations and more. Get them while supplies last»
]with racing legend, Gil de Ferran? I accpet the Gil was a successful driver in Indycar, but a legend?..........someone tell me when that all happened!

strad

My point...them PR guys like to go with the hyperbole
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

sknguy
sknguy

hairy_scotsman wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Meh, cut several corners, would be an illegal lap.
Yeah, as I pointed out to him. I was referring more to the look of the game with the weather, etc.
It certainly is a nice looking game, for sure. But for gawd sakes... stay off the curbing in the rain :wink:. Very good graphics though. I should think that it would be tough to use the curbs correctly through the esses though (rain or shine). But I guess we'll see when the race unfolds. Listening to the engine reverberate down the main straight made me think that there should probably be a lot of reveration and echo throughout other parts, if not most, of the circuit. Ot should be a symphonic cacophony.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman