Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NathanOlder

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

fiohaa wrote: You can be the best driver in the world, without the car youre not much.
Spot on, Put Alonso/Hamilton in the Toro Rosso and they wouldnt even be on the podium let alone winning races like Alonso is in a supposidly 'fundamentally flawed' car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Huntresa
Huntresa

NathanOlder wrote:
fiohaa wrote: You can be the best driver in the world, without the car youre not much.
Spot on, Put Alonso/Hamilton in the Toro Rosso and they wouldnt even be on the podium let alone winning races like Alonso is in a supposidly 'fundamentally flawed' car.

We could all see that even Alonso struggled with the Ferrari this year. Its not a lie or a secret saying the car wasnt good from the start and that they went in the wrong direction with some parts bfore the season.

marcush.
marcush.

I tend to believe MGP has dropped the ddrs after realising it´s too much sacrifice in race conditions.They somehow made it work in China and for whatever reason it also worked in monaco come race day...but most of the time the advantage in qualy was turned into a big disadvantage come race day.
Combine this with a BIGm downtime of the Windtunnel -needed to sort the DDRS sensivity -but they were in a dilemma as it became obvious the coanda exhaust was a bigger improvement then anticipated ...

Ferraripilot

fiohaa wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote: While this is a step in the right direction for W03s back end, I'm wondering how much headway it's going to give them against the still fundamentally-flawed F2012 which Ferrari have managed to make lemonade with.
i dont understand how you can say the f2012 is 'fundamentally flawed' after being a quick car for most of the season..fundamentally. IF it wasn't a good enough car....Alonso would not be scoring points with it. You can be the best driver in the world, without the car youre not much.

so please, im asking as a genuine question, why do you think the f2012 is still 'fundamentally flawed'. if anything has been fundamentally flawed, its arguably been the Merc, which has consistently demonstrated its high tyre wear...all season.

This may be better in the F2012 thread, but Ferrari spent half the season bringing F2012 into a somewhat competent car, and it's victories were very situational and weather assisted and IIRC by their own statements they have said they are the slowest of the top teams. W03 OTOH is I believe an overall better and cleaner design with one issue, tire wear, and the crux of that issue has proven it's not as easily corrected by the way W03 has been performing not to mention Mercedes' infrastructure isn't yet quite what Ferrari's has proven to be. At the end of the day, F2012 on its best day is not MP4-27, RB8, E20, and if W03 has their upgrade package right then I'd have no issue saying it would be better than F2012 too. The odd front end suspension, constant exhaust changing the first half, very odd sidepod design and internal cooling configuration, inconsistent results (great in the wet though! just like W02!) and I believe they designed this car so only one man can drive it which to me makes no sense. Just my opinion.

mantikos
mantikos

They seemed to have thickened thier floor like last year's thick floor, unlike other teams...

atanatizante

Another improvement they took is the same route like McLaren with adjustable air brake intakes ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Mika1
Mika1

The boss follows me on twitter.

Ozan
Ozan

where is Shark Fin ?

zyphro
zyphro

Ozan wrote:where is Shark Fin ?
It wasn't a performance update.

diego1960

Again no cascades? I thought that with the use of the new exhausts and the monkey-seat they plan on using, the cascades would return to help balance the car, no?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

atanatizante wrote:[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 31.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... sin171.jpg[/mg]

Another improvement they took is the same route like McLaren with adjustable air brake intakes ...
What's adjustable about that?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

atanatizante

Owen.C93 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 31.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... sin171.jpg[/mg]

What's adjustable about that?
Some said (on other forums) there is a bi-metal system which runs in conjunction with actuators that at a designated temperature open these ducts in order to heat up the tyres in a more controlled manner hence a better tyre usage ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Pierce89

Ferraripilot wrote:
fiohaa wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote: While this is a step in the right direction for W03s back end, I'm wondering how much headway it's going to give them against the still fundamentally-flawed F2012 which Ferrari have managed to make lemonade with.
i dont understand how you can say the f2012 is 'fundamentally flawed' after being a quick car for most of the season..fundamentally. IF it wasn't a good enough car....Alonso would not be scoring points with it. You can be the best driver in the world, without the car youre not much.

so please, im asking as a genuine question, why do you think the f2012 is still 'fundamentally flawed'. if anything has been fundamentally flawed, its arguably been the Merc, which has consistently demonstrated its high tyre wear...all season.

This may be better in the F2012 thread, but Ferrari spent half the season bringing F2012 into a somewhat competent car, and it's victories were very situational and weather assisted and IIRC by their own statements they have said they are the slowest of the top teams. W03 OTOH is I believe an overall better and cleaner design with one issue, tire wear, and the crux of that issue has proven it's not as easily corrected by the way W03 has been performing not to mention Mercedes' infrastructure isn't yet quite what Ferrari's has proven to be. At the end of the day, F2012 on its best day is not MP4-27, RB8, E20, and if W03 has their upgrade package right then I'd have no issue saying it would be better than F2012 too. The odd front end suspension, constant exhaust changing the first half, very odd sidepod design and internal cooling configuration, inconsistent results (great in the wet though! just like W02!) and I believe they designed this car so only one man can drive it which to me makes no sense. Just my opinion.
Keep deluding yourself. Hockenheim was definitely not a situational victory. F2012 isn't brilliant, but to say the W03 is great apart from tire wear is ridiculous, when anyone can see a lack of DF causes the tire wear. By that standard, every lower team is great apart from tire wear.

Closer to topic: Personally, I'm hoping the new exhaust can help to find the missing low speed DF. Which, judging by the quotes, is what the team is hoping. Time to unleash Shumi 1.0 (I'm quite tired of Shumi 2.0).
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Ferraripilot

Pierce89 wrote: Keep deluding yourself. Hockenheim was definitely not a situational victory. F2012 isn't brilliant, but to say the W03 is great apart from tire wear is ridiculous, when anyone can see a lack of DF causes the tire wear. By that standard, every lower team is great apart from tire wear.

Closer to topic: Personally, I'm hoping the new exhaust can help to find the missing low speed DF. Which, judging by the quotes, is what the team is hoping. Time to unleash Shumi 1.0 (I'm quite tired of Shumi 2.0).

As I previously stated, it's just an opinion in reviewing both teams respective concepts. I don't want this to be a thread about F2012, but the F2012 was questioned at the very core when they found in testing it just didn't work, Ferrari just did a masterful job making it work. W03 fundamentally is a superior design as the beginning of the season qualifying and certain races here and there yielded. The issue was obviously W03 failed to work in race trim as well as it did in qualifying, but in qualy trim it was magnificent whilst F2012 was below average for an extended period of time while Ferrari sorted out the fundamental issues the car had

Joie de vivre

new cascades

no gills + monkey seat