Mercedes AMG F1 W03

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Here's a nice shot. Looks like they have come little pitot tubes built in for now as well.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Fred444
Fred444

Ah - thanks for explaining them :D

PlatinumZealot

DDRS is still connected guys.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ismail1991
ismail1991

Both cars are running with new cascades in FP2

mantikos
mantikos

Owen.C93 wrote:Here's a nice shot. Looks like they have come little pitot tubes built in for now as well.

Must be a test floor in that case...and mighty interesting from that perspective...spl the steps

Ferraripilot

Merc are essentially reporting they are cooking the rear tires and they are falling off quickly per Rosberg. With this massive a change to the car it's not going to be an overnight process deducing a new optimal setup.

Mika1
Mika1

They need some time to fine tune. It's not a small update.
The boss follows me on twitter.

mantikos
mantikos

Ferraripilot wrote:Merc are essentially reporting they are cooking the rear tires and they are falling off quickly per Rosberg. With this massive a change to the car it's not going to be an overnight process deducing a new optimal setup.

Where?

dren

mantikos wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Merc are essentially reporting they are cooking the rear tires and they are falling off quickly per Rosberg. With this massive a change to the car it's not going to be an overnight process deducing a new optimal setup.

Where?
It's on Autosport now. Doesn't bode well for the race. I will be surprised if they are able to beat the Saubers, Williams and FIs in Singapore.

Maybe part of the change in engine mapping is causing issues. The cars were also having all sorts of braking issues.
Honda!

mantikos
mantikos

dren wrote:
mantikos wrote:

Where?
It's on Autosport now. Doesn't bode well for the race. I will be surprised if they are able to beat the Saubers, Williams and FIs in Singapore.

Maybe part of the change in engine mapping is causing issues. The cars were also having all sorts of braking issues.
yea just read it...it said it was the same for all teams...

Artur Craft

When I saw their fw right on FP1, I imediatelly got pessimistic about the updates.

If you compare W03's fw with Ferrari's, Mclaren's, RBR's, Lotus and some others, Mercedes is clearly running less downforce. It's not only the less amount of winglets but even the AoA of the main elements.

I can't see how they have gained significant df at the rear with such a "slim" fw to balance it up at the front. I think it will take some more time for them to achieve better results with new exhaust and etc

elf341
elf341

The pace didn't look too promising, they may be tempted to revert to their old layout, but that would probably be a mistake development-wise. They do not look like they can touch the top 6 cars. The Lotus look weak here, as they looked in Monaco, and also in Singapore last year, but the Force India look strong so even reverting to their old setup they may still only be fighting for a few points. I say push on with the development and try and understand as much as possible for Suzuka.

mantikos
mantikos

Artur Craft wrote:When I saw their fw right on FP1, I imediatelly got pessimistic about the updates.

If you compare W03's fw with Ferrari's, Mclaren's, RBR's, Lotus and some others, Mercedes is clearly running less downforce. It's not only the less amount of winglets but even the AoA of the main elements.

I can't see how they have gained significant df at the rear with such a "slim" fw to balance it up at the front. I think it will take some more time for them to achieve better results with new exhaust and etc
They are running a lot of rake though

Ferraripilot

Looking at the car's turn-in compared to Monaco tells me the front end is not changing direction quite as quick as it used to, say like in Monaco. So I'm wondering if their current issue is not enough front downforce. The rear tires are also running hot again which I'm sure they can attribute to the slight geometry change the rear suspension went through to get where they are now. I doubt this will be understood immediately. W03s terribly complicated yet brilliant suspension probably has something to do with this.....

e30ernest
e30ernest

MSC reportedly got a brake problem last night:

http://en.espnf1.com/singapore/motorspo ... 89444.html

They seem relatively positive on the updates, at least on that article. Either positive, or cautious or they're simply downplaying their issues.