Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Spankyham

Re: Ferrari F2012

Fernando said they tried the new RW but found it didn't that well so they went back to a previous one. So two used by Nando yesterday.

Looks like we are going to struggle a bit, perhaps 3rd row in Q for Nando and Felipe, hopefully to make it through to 3rd session. The bit that really worried me was Felipe, who was working on setup said he suffered tire deg :(
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

jonaliew
jonaliew

Hmmm. I am not sure whether it didn't work well or whether they were doing baseline comaprisons. According to Autosport and a few other interview,
The new wing features larger flaps and new endplates, and was seen as a key development as Fernando Alonso attempts to hold on to his world championship lead. But after initial tests on Friday in Singapore, the team reverted to the original wing design. Ferrari's race operations manager Diego Ioverno said the team was still analysing what to do for the rest of the event. "It was taken off in the afternoon, after we had done the tests," he told reporters in the Singapore paddock. "We wanted to do a comparison with the other wing, the one that we could call the baseline. "The numbers are still under investigation. At the moment I cannot say if we are going to use it or not. "We finished the session with the other wing, so it may happen that we stay with the baseline one." Asked if he was worried that this meant another Ferrari development had proved ineffective on track, Ioverno replied: "I think it is quite a common aspect for all the teams."We have no possibility to track-test the stuff, we rely on the windtunnel numbers and for everyone when you bring something on the track it might not be working as expected, so obviously it is not a pleasure if it happens.
"It is a bit of a concern also for the future, but it is something that we have to face as everyone has to face because we have this limitation on testing. "I cannot say that we are happy for sure, but we are not desperate." Loverno was still cautiously optimistic about Ferrari's Singapore form, with Alonso third-fastest in practice two using the old wing.
"I think on Friday it is normally very difficult to understand what is going on, because of fuel load and track conditions," Ioverno said. "I think that we have to understand what everyone has to understand, which is the real life of the tyres. How the drivers look after the tyre? "We are still analysing the data, but it seems with one of the two compounds we are not in bad shape, but I think the major factor will be how long the tyres will last and we will learn it only on Sunday, I guess."
"We tried various new components on the car: some seem to be positive, others less so, but maybe in the case of the latter, we need to spend a bit more time for them to be developed as well as possible," he said.
It is true that Ferrari is suffering with the BAN on in season testing.

Was it just me, or were we expecting the singapore package to be much bigger and more bang for buck?

I guess we will see whether we will keep the new RW or go with the old one. I feel if Ferrari have nothing much to lose, put Massa on the new one and Alonso on the old (since it is more vital for his lead). 2 cents worth.

Bomber_Pilot

If you look at the pictures posted by F1.Ru on the previous page, they were definitely trying three different rw yesterday.

diffuser

Yep, not good ....

I guess, since there was testing last week, we'll see benefits from that. That being said, it's gonna take a month before we start seeing pieces based on that testing.

F1.Ru

diffuser wrote:Yep, not good ....

I guess, since there was testing last week, we'll see benefits from that. That being said, it's gonna take a month before we start seeing pieces based on that testing.
After attending the Young Driver Testing, I became a bit optimistic about their prospect in this race and the upcoming ones, as in tradition Ferrari is heavily dependent [more than most of the teams] on on-track testing, but in that test F2012 apparently didn't bring any significant updates. Which is a big surprise for me caz Alonso and others from Ferrari is always telling that they are going to bring a significant updates package for Singapore and onwards. So logically testing them in Young Driver Test can give them huge valuable data.

And after seeing Alonso 5th (around 0.9 sec off the pace) and Massa 13th in qualifying make me really worried, because most of the races remain in the season are all require aerodynamically high df and also a very low drag. So if F2012 can perform good in this race then it will mean that they can perform also better in the other races. So far we have to see that flair in the F2012 yet.
Bomber_Pilot wrote:If you look at the pictures posted by F1.Ru on the previous page, they were definitely trying three different rw yesterday.

Yes they use different version in different practices session, with two V-cut and with out v-cut, but i think their major problem is not getting enough performance from their Front Wing, as FW is act as flow conditioner, df generator, and also divert disrupted air over the tire. So if they can work their FW better i think F2012 can perform better in all condition.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

stefan_ wrote:Image

I thought fully enclosed holes in the floor were banned since Monaco?

Nando
Nando

I´m fairly sure they are a slitted.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

radosav
radosav

Pat Fry, Technical director:
“Honestly, it would have been difficult to expect more from this qualifying. Of all the updates we brought here, the only one we did not use was the rear wing, which still needs more development: that means we must improve still further the quality of our work if we want to meet our targets.

alogoc
alogoc

could front pull-rod stiffnes be the cause of poor performance here whit all the high kerbs?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

scuderiaF2012
scuderiaF2012

alogoc wrote:could front pull-rod stiffnes be the cause of poor performance here whit all the high kerbs?
ferrari have mentioned long ago that pull-rod was not the issue of why the car underperforms at some tracks and that i personally think that maybe there is something wrong with it fundametally and knowing Ferrari they will fix all these issues in the next year's single seater.

but for now we have to keep pushing wiht the development of this one, even though it may be tough...but we have to if we want Fernando to win the championship...

so hopefully next year's will be really fast out of the box adn really surprise the competition

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

We still cant get the maximum from the front wing.

Hail22

Both new rear wings and the new FW that isn't racing this weekend have been sent back to Maranello.

Whether or not that is in order to test the wings/modify them in order to meet future race expectations or just simply put the wing is junk and its time to recycle the parts :/

I feel quite optimistic for the smaller updates for future races...more so I hope this gives the team a better drive for 2013!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

F1.Ru

Ferrari F2012 - new front wing © http://www.formula1.com/

ImageImage

A race debut in Singapore for the new front wing that Ferrari tested at the Magny-Cours young driver test last week. It's based on the Monza wing, but with the addition of the cascade flaps (right arrow) and a new endplate with a small triangular fin (left arrow). The team also brought a completely new rear wing, which was tested on Friday by Alonso, but not used in qualifying or the race.

Ferrari F2012 - revised rear-wing endplate © http://www.formula1.com/

ImageImage

Whilst the Red Bull featured a new rear wing in Singapore, with fewer vertical gills in the lower section of its endplate, Ferrari decided to increase the number on theirs to eight (see black arrow). The first few gills are attached to the diffuser's side channel. The revised wing was used by Fernando Alonso in practice but both he and team mate Felipe Massa opted to use the wing they ran in Hungary for qualifying and the race.

New brake discs and ducts © http://www.formula1.com/

ImageImage

Singapore is one of the toughest races on the calendar for brakes. Red Bull and Ferrari are using new discs at Marina Bay, which they previously tested at Spa and Monza. Featuring more than 1000 holes (five holes per row), the new discs are supplied by Brembo. Made from a new material, CER, they lose only 1mm of thickness by the end of the race in comparison to the 4mm worn away on the older CCR discs.

And a pic of Ferrari Nose cone: © http://www.formula1.com/

So this is how they pack things...........................after the race.. :lol:
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

alogoc
alogoc

Can this new brake disc explain why Ferrari had better race pace than quali?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

hi everybody :) anyone have news about engines usage?