Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Ferrari F2012

I think more crucial than race pace is tyre preservation - if you set a car too much for the optimum laptime here, I think you could burn out your tyres through the lateral forces playing through Sector 1. I think it may even be beneficial to turn down the wing slightly for less downforce to make you corner slightly slower, but with a view towards less degradation.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Well..tyre preservation was better if you had the same wing settings and just drove slower :D

raymondu999

You could do that - but then the drag (and hence fuel) penalty would stay with you throughout.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1316
f1316

Is there not still an issue with traction on the F2012? I got the impression during qualifying that Alonso was having trouble putting the power down and it might explain why, with a heavier fuel-load, they always look stronger.

raymondu999

I didn't pay much attention to the traction, but Alonso was demon on the brakes in Singapore.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

raymondu999 wrote:I didn't pay much attention to the traction, but Alonso was demon on the brakes in Singapore.
Ferrari had new brake disks which had much lower wear; it was said that the old ones would wore off by 4mm, while the new ones only wore off 1mm. Resulting of course that he could use his brakes much more agressive.
#AeroFrodo

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:I didn't pay much attention to the traction, but Alonso was demon on the brakes in Singapore.
Both cars were not that great coming out of the corners.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

timbo wrote:
Both cars were not that great coming out of the corners.
An amateur/club racer would overuse the 'demon' brakes and not carry enough speed through the corner.

Brian

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:I think more crucial than race pace is tyre preservation - if you set a car too much for the optimum laptime here, I think you could burn out your tyres through the lateral forces playing through Sector 1. I think it may even be beneficial to turn down the wing slightly for less downforce to make you corner slightly slower, but with a view towards less degradation.
Nowadays, "race pace" and "tire preserevation" are virtually one and the same. Sure a dog won't be fast through lack of tire wear, but a car capable of qualifying 5th or so, could win through less degradation.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

timbo
timbo

hardingfv32 wrote:An amateur/club racer would overuse the 'demon' brakes and not carry enough speed through the corner.

Brian
I would not call neither of them amateur=)

Forza

GrizzleBoy wrote:
I thought fully enclosed holes in the floor were banned since Monaco?
I managed to find this image where you can that they are a slitted

Singapore GP- Race

Spankyham

I completely agree that tire management (and the things that effect that) are critical to success. If I had to rely on what I've seen at races and on the idiot box this year, I'd say the F2012's biggest problem has been traction out of low speed corners. That's why IMO the biggest improvements have come with suspension changes (Monaco). The good news there is that we are past the worst of these tracks for 2012. On medium and high grip we are as good, if not better than other cars.

But I also think it's why Fernando is getting such remarkable results out of the F2012 in races. He drives understanding this and targeting tire preservation. How many times in races has he started stints slower but ended stints faster, to me that is a hallmark of his driving success this year.

It really stood out to me watching Monza and, particularly how he handled the Parabolica. To me, his line coming out of the Parabolica was oriented to evening the tire load and WOT as early as possible.

Suzuka is a circuit to showcase this skill as it provides plenty of medium to high speed corners where balancing tire load with exit line selection while achieving WOT as early as possible will pay big dividends over the race.

Whilst not as skillful as Nando, I think Button and Perez are also good at this. Perez has had to learn it because Sauber tends to favour strategies that lean towards less stops.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

alogoc
alogoc

Ferrari engine telemetry,temperatures and CFD
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Hail22

Looks like engine bench testing in preparation for Interlagos?

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nope, very deffinately that's a map of bahrain on there.

Bahrain from at least last year, possibly the year before.