COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

This should go off without a hitch. COTA had enough technical F1 experts on site to comply with all the rules.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

turbof1

Beautifull track. The corners with the sand patches remind me a bit of Laguna Sega.
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

I also have to praise hairy for the pictures and +1ed him. The barriers are made by TecPro and not build from old tyres as you can see in turn 11 and in the stadion section. Expensive but very safe technology.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Nando
Nando

great to see the contrast between green and sand.

Like it´s two enviroments depending on where you are on track.
I´m sure all of it will be green later?

Also, the kerbs looks fantastic. Hopefully they don´t put these ugly blobs everywhere.

"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Pierce89

As an American F1 fan, I'm finally gonna be able to be proud of our home grand prix. FTW!!!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

hairy_scotsman wrote:Statesman: FIA's Charlie Whiting in Austin to inspect COTA:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... 66520.html
That'll be one of the most relaxed inspections he had to do in recent years. The track itself is, well, finished (from what I readed). Just some buildings that need finishing up.
#AeroFrodo

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Whiting: One DRS zone for Austin, between turns 11 & 12.

Pics via @jeffstensland:

Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

turbof1 wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:Statesman: FIA's Charlie Whiting in Austin to inspect COTA:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... 66520.html
That'll be one of the most relaxed inspections he had to do in recent years. The track itself is, well, finished (from what I readed). Just some buildings that need finishing up.
Yes, the track is finished. Re: the buildings, there is much to be done on the inside, as there is with infrastructure. Austin Commercial and the other contractors have moved their office trailers across the road, digging in for the long haul and getting out of the way for the race. They plan to be there for at least another year after the race, but rest assured, there will be a USGP in 2012.

Pup
Pup

It's official...
Charlie Whiting, FIA Race Director and Safety Delegate, has completed the last inspection of Circuit of The Americas before the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™.

During his visit, Whiting made that the Circuit of The Americas is up to the FIA standards necessary to host a Formula 1™ race this coming November. The inspection focuses on safety and technical aspects that the FIA require to host a Grand Prix event. After a two hour inspection the FIA Safety Delegate was happy with the construction progress and the overall quality of the track.

"The track design is fantastic, the quality of the workmanship is excellent and I have no concerns at all. This will be a very unique Grand Prix, a lot of types of corners that will provide a lot of overtaking opportunities. " Whiting mentioned after the inspection was over.

strad

YESssssssssssssssss
Never a doubt...can't wait.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nando
Nando

Those of you who go there, make a big poster saying F U Epstein, thank you Hellmund.

Maybe not the first part but Tavo needs some recognition, it´s his track design really.

WhiteBlue

I thought a couple of the guys here were supposed to eat their old balaclavas or tennis shoes on the occasion?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Ten new aerial photos from the Statesman:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

aero expert 807
aero expert 807

richard_leeds wrote:
aero expert 807 wrote:Time to start making race predictions!
Is it? Tradition on this site is that we only start that conversation when the preceding race is finished.

So that's a "no".
okay i will be patient and wait :cry:

Nando
Nando

Another plus, thanks for posting!

It´s so unique in it´s visibility i think. Really spectacular.