Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
superdread
superdread

Re: Ferrari F2012

I suspect that it is a simulation tool to find the effect the fuel mixture has on the performance of the car.

Why is the HP/Nm-curve from 1.5k to 7.5k rpm? or is it 10k+x? (in the light, that idlespeed is above 4k rpm)

The small graph with all the colourful lines is titled "Low Fuel Performance vs. McLaren", but I have no idea what the axis represent (neither from labeling or the course of the lines).

Also it is from this year, as last year there was no Bahrain GP and track was different before.

beelsebob
beelsebob

superdread wrote:I suspect that it is a simulation tool to find the effect the fuel mixture has on the performance of the car.

Why is the HP/Nm-curve from 1.5k to 7.5k rpm? or is it 10k+x? (in the light, that idlespeed is above 4k rpm)

The small graph with all the colourful lines is titled "Low Fuel Performance vs. McLaren", but I have no idea what the axis represent (neither from labeling or the course of the lines).

Also it is from this year, as last year there was no Bahrain GP and track was different before.
It's not from this year, as as you will see from the map, it's the long Bahrain circuit, not the one that was raced this year.

superdread
superdread

beelsebob wrote: It's not from this year, as as you will see from the map, it's the long Bahrain circuit, not the one that was raced this year.
Oh, sorry, you are right. So it must be from 2010 (according to Wikipedia the only time the long circuit was run). But for that the lap time is strange (1:31 in comparison to the qualifying best of 1:54).

Forza

This is image from "Shell Celebrate 500 Races" video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0fwoP0DI8&hd=1&t=3m28s[/youtube]

First notice the shape of an engine camshaft, engine air intake, exhaust manifold, 651nm @ 5600rpm... ;)

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bcTUt.png[/img

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

hi!!! what about the number of engines remaining for Alonso and Massa? In my opinion RBR is a little bit in crisis with engine am i right?

rodi
rodi

BlackSwan wrote:hi!!! what about the number of engines remaining for Alonso and Massa? In my opinion RBR is a little bit in crisis with engine am i right?
Well, it is fair to say that maybe the aero efficiency doesn't help as in previous years...
rodibasso

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

rodi wrote: Well, it is fair to say that maybe the aero efficiency doesn't help as in previous years...
rodibasso
yes sure :) I meant about the numbers of new engines

rodi
rodi

BlackSwan wrote:
rodi wrote: Well, it is fair to say that maybe the aero efficiency doesn't help as in previous years...
rodibasso
yes sure :) I meant about the numbers of new engines
ah sorry! anyone counts engines??

Vanja #66

This is how things stand before Singapore GP... I'd really like to know who used what in Singapore, could be a good indication for some thngs.

This talk isn't really related to F2012, however, Ferrari has an advantage concerning engines. They still have two new ones (+ Spa and Monza engines), for 6 races left, while McLaren are going to have to scrape for leftovers of those 3 they can use (new one + Spa and Monza engines)... All teams that use Ferrari 056 have an advantage, save Kamui. Alonso is in best position, because his Spa engine (#5) has only seen action in FP3 and Q, a bit of fortune in that misfortune. My guess is that engine will be important in Texas, because of its first corner climb, and also quite long straight. With any luck, Alonso will win his WDC there. :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

You beat me. Ferrari powered car have a big advantage.

Spankyham

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:You beat me. Ferrari powered car have a big advantage.
I don't think its really big advantage. An engine might drop a couple of percentage points in performance compared to new, and, if you recall we had much bigger problems in 2010 when we lost engines in the dessert sands, yet Nando made it through the season on his engine allocation.

Still, it is an advantage, and even a few percentage points can help.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

shelly
shelly

About the engine pictures, my opinion is:
- they are not cfd, but thermal images
-they are not of a F1 engine. To me it seems the v is tighter than 90° and the enine is too bulky. How many cylinders does it have?

Kiril Varbanov

shelly wrote:About the engine pictures, my opinion is:

Of course it's thermal image, what kind of flow you will simulate with CFD in an engine exactly? Fuel, coolant? Single pipe - sure, of course.
The temperature scale is at the right side (I suppose, although it's colored like a typical pressure map) and the temperatures are pretty normal for those conditions (low RPM).

superdread
superdread

shelly wrote:About the engine pictures, my opinion is:
-they are not of a F1 engine. To me it seems the v is tighter than 90° and the enine is too bulky. How many cylinders does it have?
The first picture in BlackSwan's post shows that the angle is 90°, the seemingly tighter one in the second picture is because the engine is viewed from below.

Concerning the number of cylinders, I count 5 exhaust pipes for one side (making 10 cylinders).

In light of the disparities:
- the engine is V10, so pre-2006
- the track layout is 2010
- the lap time is definitely not 2010
I suspect that these pictures have been carefully assembled by Ferrari to contain no valuable information whatsoever.

Forza

Well If you look at pictures again you can see 6 intakes, 6 exhaust pipes (its hard to tell because it's a thermal image)... The Power/Torque /RPMs are somwhere in the region of what Ferrari F140 (enzo)engine can produce. The shape of an exhaust manifold is similar (even if it could be custom made) and the position of shafts are identical.

Shell is problably using this dyno test image just for promo.

EDIT
Last edited by Forza on 27 Sep 2012, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.