COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Mr Alcatraz

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

countersteer wrote:
Pup wrote:It's official...
"The track design is fantastic, the quality of the workmanship is excellent and I have no concerns at all. This will be a very unique Grand Prix, a lot of types of corners that will provide a lot of overtaking opportunities. " Whiting mentioned after the inspection was over.

Charlie must not have seen that wall !!! :roll:
Yes the ungodly free-stack disqualifies this venue as a world class facility. :wink: :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

strad

Yeah, it looks like the track will be totally green come the first GP weekend.
That won't be all bad. Many times they have discussed how different series run different rubber that is not always compatible.
GP2...will there be a GP2 race on the track proceeding F1?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

turbof1

strad wrote:
Yeah, it looks like the track will be totally green come the first GP weekend.
That won't be all bad. Many times they have discussed how different series run different rubber that is not always compatible.
GP2...will there be a GP2 race on the track proceeding F1?
If I am correct, the GP2 season has ended at Singapore. F1 really will be the first series to hit the track. For the moment, only one other event has been made official for the circuit: the 2013 V8 supercars championship. I expect that many series will apply to race there after the F1 weekend there.
Last edited by turbof1 on 26 Sep 2012, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
#AeroFrodo

strad

Ahhhh thanks
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Nice preview by James Allen. This race is going to be a long one folks. I time the laps to be around the 1minute 47 second mark. So each lap takes as long as a Spa Lap or a Singapore lap and with 56 laps, we are looking at a very long race.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COVxILUxcDk[/youtube]
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

n smikle wrote:Nice preview by James Allen. This race is going to be a long one folks. I time the laps to be around the 1minute 47 second mark. So each lap takes as long as a Spa Lap or a Singapore lap and with 56 laps, we are looking at a very long race.
I've been lapping consistently in the 1:41s & 1:42s, not that I think I'm particularly great or anything. I think there's still plenty of time to be found through setup tweaks & just getting smoother, putting it all together for one solid lap, etc. My best so far is 1:41.2. I don't know what others are running. That said, it's just a game. I'd bet they run quicker than the game. I think you're probably right about it being one of the longer races though.

ETA: Just finished a session of tweaking & lapping. Knocked off almost 2 seconds, down to 1:39.4. I think I'm fairly close to the limit of my abilities using a controller.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I just posted 40+ new COTA Construction photos. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=1

Sign installation on FM 812:

Turn 10 from Mr. Haywood's, just above the bottom of the GA area:

RV area.

Turn 9-10 GS.

Portable office trailers (Team Buildings?) behind the T11W GSs.

The Longhorn Straight from Mr. Haywood's hill.

Mystery Tower:

COTA from the shuttle lot on McAngus Road.

Turn 1 and the back of the Pit Building, from the shuttle lot on McAngus Road.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Looks like about 650 seats in the Turn 12 GS are now available for purchase.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/cota/E ... tails/12F1

beardRage
beardRage

hairy_scotsman wrote:
n smikle wrote:Nice preview by James Allen. This race is going to be a long one folks. I time the laps to be around the 1minute 47 second mark. So each lap takes as long as a Spa Lap or a Singapore lap and with 56 laps, we are looking at a very long race.
I've been lapping consistently in the 1:41s & 1:42s, not that I think I'm particularly great or anything. I think there's still plenty of time to be found through setup tweaks & just getting smoother, putting it all together for one solid lap, etc. My best so far is 1:41.2. I don't know what others are running. That said, it's just a game. I'd bet they run quicker than the game. I think you're probably right about it being one of the longer races though.

ETA: Just finished a session of tweaking & lapping. Knocked off almost 2 seconds, down to 1:39.4. I think I'm fairly close to the limit of my abilities using a controller.
There's an achievement for beating 1:39.395 (I think) in time trials. Have you tried the race with world champions? I had so much fun doing that event :)
The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

beardRage wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

There's an achievement for beating 1:39.395 (I think) in time trials. Have you tried the race with world champions? I had so much fun doing that event :)
Haven't tried the champions race. Been concentrating only on COTA in the limited time I have available to play. I got the "Austin Power" achievement for my 1:39.411. Is that the one you mean?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

For those of you still searching for tickets, in addition to the ~1200 available on TicketMaster in the T1, T12, & T15 GSs, it appears there are also seats available at Formula1.com in the T6 & T11W GSs.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/cota/E ... tails/12F1

http://uktickets.formula1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

COTA has released their list of Prohibited Items:

http://6bd32fe3d0a84caa1d3b-e077574ebbd ... 28.12).pdf

The following items will not be permitted inside the gates of the circuit. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.

 Alcoholic Beverages
 Animals (exception for certified service animals)
 Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
 Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of
transportation
 Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
 Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
 Food and Beverage (Note: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed)
 Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
 Glass or metal containers of any style
 Illegal substances
 Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees,
balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
 Large, golf-type umbrellas
 Non-collapsible chairs
 Tents or canopies
 Video cameras, still cameras with lenses exceeding 10 inches in length or detachable lenses of any
kind, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed
 Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items

The following items will be permitted inside the circuit gates.
 Blankets
 Umbrellas (small, hand-held style)
 Baby strollers
 Portable, collapsible chairs
 Personal camera equipment (e.g. digital cameras, point-and-click digital cameras or film cameras)
 Binoculars

NOTE: All bags, purses, backpacks and persons are subject to screening by security personnel. Fans entering
Circuit of The Americas should prepare accordingly.
Smoking will only be allowed in authorized areas. All security measures are subject to change without notice.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

I've been hoping for this since wayyy back.

Autoweek: WEC / ALMS doubleheader coming to Austin on 22September2013 (TBC):

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012092 ... /120929803

Statesman: 6-hr WEC endurance race penciled in for Austin...Sep22, 2013 (TBC).

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... in_f.html/

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman wrote:COTA has released their list of Prohibited Items:
Animals (exception for certified service animals)
I feel discriminated against. :cry:

What's with the ban on "detachable lenses"? Is that normal? Could I not bring a standard SLR?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:COTA has released their list of Prohibited Items:
Animals (exception for certified service animals)
I feel discriminated against. :cry:

What's with the ban on "detachable lenses"? Is that normal? Could I not bring a standard SLR?
Apparently not according to the wording. That's the way people are reading it anyway. Do they make SLRs with attached lenses?