COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Nando
Nando

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Plus one!

Nice photos, thanks for sharing!
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

mantikos
mantikos

hairy_scotsman wrote:Vance has been busy taking photos the last couple of days:

They aren't making that road wider are they?
God damn, we are gonna be in traffic for a while fellows...I signed up for the airport parking deal, but we are gonna be stuck in traffic a WHILE!

Shrieker

They've converted it from F1 2012 to rfactor. I drove it a bit today. At first my brother was driving and I watched for a bit and I was like meh - I thought it was no better than Budh- but when I started doing some laps I liked it. The highlight of the first sector is the eSses, they're really nice to drive. First corner is proper blind, it took me about 10 laps just to find the inside curb lol. Lots of straight line and stop/go stuff in sector 2. The highlight of the third sector is definitely the corner which is the antagonist of turn 8 from Istanbul Park. You can take it flat out, and I expect them to take it flat out in reality too. The slow section leading up to this turn is kind of an arena, with a BIG grandstand watching over. I bet that section will have some ambience when the grandstand is packed. Overall the track reminds me of Moscow Raceway and Budh.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Shrieker wrote:They've converted it from F1 2012 to rfactor. I drove it a bit today. At first my brother was driving and I watched for a bit and I was like meh - I thought it was no better than Budh- but when I started doing some laps I liked it. The highlight of the first sector is the eSses, they're really nice to drive. Lots of straight line and stop/go stuff in sector 2. The highlight of the third sector is definitely the corner which is the antagonist of turn 8 from Istanbul Park. You can take it flat out, and I expect them to take it flat out in reality too. The slow section leading up to this turn is kind of an arena, with a BIG grandstand watching over. I bet that section will have some ambience when the grandstand is packed. Overall the track reminds me of Moscow Raceway and Budh.
The F1 2012 version is good. I have it and I like it. The Simraceway version, still in beta, seems more accurate. Shows the elevations better, includes the bridges & scoring towers, got the Main GS and T15 GSs right, etc.

Re: the T15 GS and it's ambience, it won't look the way it does on F1 2012. In the game they show the permanent structure that was planned there, not the temporary one that's being built.\

The esses are tough, but I do like them. Several tough turns in the circuit.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

mantikos wrote:They aren't making that road wider are they?
Not this year. Maybe not at all.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Nando wrote:Plus one!

Nice photos, thanks for sharing!
Thanks Nando!

Nando
Nando

:D Just keep posting this hehe :)

Mika1
Mika1

Shrieker wrote:They've converted it from F1 2012 to rfactor. I drove it a bit today. At first my brother was driving and I watched for a bit and I was like meh - I thought it was no better than Budh- but when I started doing some laps I liked it. The highlight of the first sector is the eSses, they're really nice to drive. First corner is proper blind, it took me about 10 laps just to find the inside curb lol. Lots of straight line and stop/go stuff in sector 2. The highlight of the third sector is definitely the corner which is the antagonist of turn 8 from Istanbul Park. You can take it flat out, and I expect them to take it flat out in reality too. The slow section leading up to this turn is kind of an arena, with a BIG grandstand watching over. I bet that section will have some ambience when the grandstand is packed. Overall the track reminds me of Moscow Raceway and Budh.
Moscow Raceway? You can't be serious.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Nando
Nando

People got to stop taking home made physics made by some sweaty bloke in a basement and a converted track from a joke of a company and try to apply that to reality....

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:So how many big events have they booked now for 2013?
They F1, MotoGp, GrandAm, ALMS, WEC, V8 Supercars

They need IRL, NASCAR, DTM and SBK to complete

WhiteBlue

DTM is unrealistic. It is a German national series. To me it looks already like a pretty good racing calendar. I think the venture is progressing very nicely. A shame that the inventor is not on board any more but otherwise very nice.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

I wonder if they will paint the curbs red and white? Isn't that part of the safety regulations that you have to have a multi colour scheme?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:DTM is unrealistic. It is a German national series. To me it looks already like a pretty good racing calendar. I think the venture is progressing very nicely. A shame that the inventor is not on board any more but otherwise very nice.

NASCAR was to bring an American DTM series for 2013, This was announced way back in 2010.
I wonder if they will paint the curbs red and white? Isn't that part of the safety regulations that you have to have a multi colour scheme?
I don't think there is a standard to it but red and white seems to be colour of choice for most circuits these days, OZ has lot of yellow and green, A1 used to have green and white etc.

Austin will look good in Red and Blue with the white track line.

WhiteBlue

WilliamsF1 wrote:NASCAR was to bring an American DTM series for 2013, This was announced way back in 2010.
Oh thanks,my bad. I did not know that. I'm honoured to know that NASCAR considers the German Touring Masters worthy of such a presentation.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:NASCAR was to bring an American DTM series for 2013, This was announced way back in 2010.
WilliamsF1 wrote:They F1, MotoGp, GrandAm, ALMS, WEC, V8 Supercars

They need IRL, NASCAR, DTM and SBK to complete
Yeah, I wonder how that DTM project is going. Haven't heard much of anything about it since the announcement.

IndyCar is likely doubtful, imho, with two races already in the state. I just can't see them pulling off three races in Texas without cannibalizing their market. I know they love Texas and all, since the TMS race gets their 2nd biggest crowd of the year, but it's been doing so as the only Indy race in the state (minus a couple of years at Reliant in Houston). I do think Bernard used the possibility of an Austin race as leverage in negotiations with both TMS and Houston, and COTA didn't mind at all, even if they did see that it was bs.

I've said all along I could see a NASCAR Nationwide Series race being brought in, and the GrandAm signing only strengthens that notion, imho. SBK? Maybe. Who knows, now that it's under the Dorna roof.